Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fin Nor #3 1933 fly reel,  (Read 6189 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Fin Nor #3 1933 fly reel,
« on: December 25, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/781255/finnor-3-fly-reel

well santa was nice this morning, brought me this brand new beautiful reel, its meant for tarpon and such in the salt in florida but its also compatable with big steelhead, im just asking if anybody has ever used this reel as a spey reel, cause thats what im going to use it for, guys got any info or stories about this reel id love to hear it. the link up there shows a reel very similiar to the one i got, hope everyone had a very merry christmas, austyn  :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fin Nor #3 1933 fly reel,
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »

is there any way you can find out what the weight (in ounces) of the reel is ?

weight of reel helps determine length of rod it can go on for balancing issues  ;)

Austyn - when we meet about that other setup i could bring my 12'7" spey with me and we can check a balance for ya if you havent bought a rod yet. I fish a 9oz reel on that rod and its balanced perfectly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »

i have not boughten a rod and i dont plan on it for a while , i wanna make sure i balance it perfectly and do not wanna rush it. online i read it was about 10oz, but im not exactly sure, talk to you soon hook  :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »

well with a 10oz reel that should give you TONS of options from a 12'6" up to a 14 footer depending on the weight of the graphite of course LOL I figure mine is around 12-13ozs with all the backing/running line/shooting head on it

will talk you soon  ;)

Check out our new blog

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »

have been doing some more research on these reels. the #3 on the back of the reel, represesnts the class of the reel, so a #1 would be a 6-7wt reel, #2, 8-9wt reel and #3 , 10-11wt reel and so on. ive found that they made 4 size models. for single handers. these reels were also designed for saltwater use off the coast of florida.

mine is a anti reverse reel #3 , and ive found out mine is 12.5oz with out line, 3 5/8 inch diameter, and built to hold 200 yards of #30 backing plus a fly line.

now with this info , would i be able to set this reel up on a spey rod for our rivers over here for big salmon and steelhead?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:53:49 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »

with a 12.5oz reel your going to be looking at mounting it on a 14 foot rod and even then it will probably be a tad to heavy once all the backing and stuff is on. I actually prefer mine a bit heavier so that when im swinging the rod just lays level with the water while cradled in my fingers, no need to strangle hold the rod then  ;)

I would say look for a decent to good 9wt 14foot spey rod (9140) look for used and save yourself a bunch of coin. check out Speypages.com because there is tons of rods there selling all the time also on Flybc.ca

one word of caution though about buying online. if a deal seems to good to be true it probably is so just be smart about your  if you cant do hand to hand exchanges. I have bought a few rods amongst other stuff from both sites including this site as well and havent had any bad transactions yet  ;D
Check out our new blog

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

I have a Beaulite wide drum that weighs  the same, I fish mine on a 13'6 Echo 8/9 and it is fine if a little on the heavy side, you just have to adjust you grip slightly to balance when you are swinging. I wouldn't go any shorter or lighter than that though.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »

thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:58:12 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »