Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing Fish?  (Read 6129 times)

qescott

Losing Fish?
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

Of the three fish I've hooked in the last two trips I've lost them all. The most recent one made me think perhaps something isn't right. I had complete tension on the line and the fly could be seen firmly resting in the jaws of a sizeable bull trout. For no apparent reason unhooked itself in about three feet of water, whilst I sat there unable to do anything as my reward for a days hard work swam away. Usually I'm not severely troubled by lost fish, a hook up is enough for such a new angler to satisfy for a day but with this many reoccurring lost fish I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I was using barbless streamer hooks, frequently sharpened. Nothing I was doing from what I could tell should be causing this. Perhaps a string of bad luck? Anyway, before this becomes a short story I would appreciate any input. Thanks guys, and good luck fishing!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Losing Fish?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

is your hook bent ?
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

Probably just unlucky! I lost over 50 coho in my first three outings this fall and then landed 70% of them after that. Maybe just a change of hooks? I changed brands after losing all those fish and it may have been the reason why. Hopefully you will start to land them since your putting in the time to find them. Its just all a part of fishing, sometimes you can hook and land dozens of fish, and some days you can't hook a leaf. Good luck on your next outing!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

can be a multitude of things, too much pressure, not enough pressure and that split second the fish got slack and took off, not good hook set, etc etc, so many things it could be. only way to fix it is too go out and try it again ;)

qescott

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »

Thanks guys!
is your hook bent ?
Nope, it's completely fine.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »

Some nice advice from a 14,15 and a 16 year old eh Austyn ahahah
Just go out there and try again, you can go 0-3 today but then go 10-10 tomorrow. You just never know and that's the great part about fishing. Good luck to all of you this year :)

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »

Some nice advice from a 14,15 and a 16 year old eh Austyn ahahah
Just go out there and try again, you can go 0-3 today but then go 10-10 tomorrow. You just never know and that's the great part about fishing. Good luck to all of you this year :)

:D :D :D hahah yeee buddy ;)

tyee slayer

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:31:46 AM »

I used to have a similar problem...for me it was the hook set, especially if fishing in a moving water situation. I have began to add a bit of a strip set now instead of mainly using the rod. Seems to have helped quite a bit.
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

whereismyfloat

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »

You mentioned that you were using streamer flies. If tied on traditional streamer hooks then that may be the source of your increased loss rate, imo. The long hook shank will give the fish leverage to throw the hook when its turning and twisting around. If you look at many newer patterns you'll notice the trend has been to tie your streamers (bunny leeches etc) on streamer style hook shanks but clip the bend and add a trailer hook that is much smaller.

Here is a bunny leech tied with a trailer hook.

http://www.fish4flies.com/Salmon_Steelhead_Pacific/Bunny_Leeches_Streamers/Black_n_Pink_Trailing_Bunny

No leverage = less lost fish.

:)

qescott

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »

You mentioned that you were using streamer flies. If tied on traditional streamer hooks then that may be the source of your increased loss rate, imo. The long hook shank will give the fish leverage to throw the hook when its turning and twisting around. If you look at many newer patterns you'll notice the trend has been to tie your streamers (bunny leeches etc) on streamer style hook shanks but clip the bend and add a trailer hook that is much smaller.

Here is a bunny leech tied with a trailer hook.

http://www.fish4flies.com/Salmon_Steelhead_Pacific/Bunny_Leeches_Streamers/Black_n_Pink_Trailing_Bunny

No leverage = less lost fish.

:)
I've pondered something like that but I couldn't figure for the life of me how to attach the two hooks, I'll check it out. Thanks everyone!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »

For me lost fish are almost always tied to poor hooksets. I am almost never surprised by a lost fish because I already know that I'm in trouble.
Don't be afraid to give it some welly.

qescott

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

Yeah, probably true. Haha, I always feel bad for a fish when I yank on them hard though. Perhaps I'm destined to be a bad fisherman.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

I've pondered something like that but I couldn't figure for the life of me how to attach the two hooks, I'll check it out. Thanks everyone!

Lots of video on youtube to show you the way.

brysonk

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »

If I set the hook and feel weight I'll reel down and set the hook again for good measure. I've reduced my lost fish greatly by doing this. Mind you this is my method on gear rods and have yet to hook a fish on the spey so maybe it's diferent when fly fishing, but should still work.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »

I love trailer hooks if at all possible to use them, you can use smaller hooks better hook sets and i agree with the other post about the fish getting leverage against a long shanked hook.
Could also just be your luck!