Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river questions...  (Read 3433 times)

wyper

Squamish river questions...
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

Hello every one. I am fairly new at this... I have done some still water fishing but never on a river or stream. I am thinking about trying my luck on the Squamish river for some trout. I know there are probably many discussion on this topic, but being new to this forum I have not found to many... Any who, what have you guys been most successful with on the end of your lines, and what length leaders are you using? and any other useful tips you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. happy fishing!   

qescott

Re: Squamish river questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

My usual set up is my 5 wt with 6 or so ft of t-11 sink and 20" of 12lb maxima leader with this http://i.imgur.com/jeUBd.jpg fly. Usually I'll put some dumbbell eyes or small splitshot if the waters really deep/fast. But thats my set up for the cheak which is quite a bit smaller. Fly is a roe/flesh kinda deal that works wonders for me for bulls. Just white rabbit zonkers with a dubbing body and a bit of rabbit hair for the tail. Happy fishing!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »

Tip -> Be mindful of road/weather conditions if you venture up the S.R road.  Last weekend I couldn't make it to the Elaho Bridge (slick icy road) and I would imagine a ton more snow has dumped up there since that time.

wyper

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »

Thanks Qescott! and Cuttthroat, I was thinking because of the poor weather conditions I would try to just go off of judd rd and take a walk up the dyke a little ways... try and stay off those upper snowy roads...good plan? Is there good fishing off the smaller arms of the lower river? I have just been looking at maps on google earth and it looks like it would be easy to access this part of the river.   

wyper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

Does any one go up to the end of axen rd and hike in? or am I way off where I want to be throwing my line...

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

If your fishing the lower river and its all new to you, try going to Judd road. Almost to the end and turn left.You will see the River Access sign.This takes you to Fishermans park. From there you have lots of open water up or down river.

You will have your guides frozen every few casts and be very careful to any fish you catch in these temps.

Good Luck
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

Does any one go up to the end of axen rd and hike in? or am I way off where I want to be throwing my line...

No trespassing.  Native land.

wyper

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

No trespassing.  Native land.

Thanks, that's good to know.