Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead question  (Read 2299 times)

coho killer

Steelhead question
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much off the bottom I should be to catch steelhead? Or if it depends on different situations? Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:15 AM »

12" works for me

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:30:58 AM »

you never want to be tapping the bottom because it jerks your presentation and could potentially spook that steelhead waiting to strike it. I like 1 to 2 feet off the bottom with gear or fly. of course its alot harder to be exact with a swung fly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »

you never want to be tapping the bottom because it jerks your presentation and could potentially spook that steelhead waiting to strike it. I like 1 to 2 feet off the bottom with gear or fly. of course its alot harder to be exact with a swung fly

This is not true for all situations at times tapping bottom can have its advantages. That being said, for the purposes of this thread and for most situations what you've described is correct.

Of course I don't catch many steelhead so your mileage may vary.
Actions speak louder than words.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »

like said  foot or two, i find in dirtier water you can be closer to the bottom. i find the best tho for any condition is having your weight bump bottom eery 10-15 seconds, also a blade hitting the bottom every few seconds can get those steelhead very mad at it  :o
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much off the bottom I should be to catch steelhead? Or if it depends on different situations? Thanks

In the dead of winter when the water is coldest you want to be right off the bottom (1 foot) so the fly practically hits them in the nose,  as they are less likely to chase it.  For this I usually use weighted flies dead drifted under an indicator. When the water warms up in February you can float it over them and they will rise up to take it and for that swinging can be deadly.
Not all those who wander are lost