Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Birds  (Read 43685 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: 2011 Birds
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »

Terrific shots all around, as usual.

I love the short ear coming right at you.  Particuarly his neck positioning as it appears that he is altering his sight line, mid flight, zeroing in.  Really cool.
Yeah, I think he was in mid turn at that moment and probably picked up on my motion in the distance.  It's always cool to get the intense look :)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: 2011 Birds
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »

--I noticed the birds even in flight have good focus and definition... are you in a set position and guessing distance for focus or using fast shutter speed or combo?
--Just looking for some hints on birds in flight technique thanks.
1) I largely pick a location that looks like it will be near or along flight paths... They tend to like to fly along the same hunting route over and over.
2) I use "AI Focus" on my camera, which means  the point that I've chosen to be in focus, the camera will work to keep it in focus all the time.
3) You have to realise when a sitting bird is likely to fly.  Watch them enough and you get feel for it.
4) I try to keep my shutter speed over 400 when shooting at 400mm.  ideally 1000.
5) When shooting BiF, especially if they are going to be against the sky, I set exposure compensation to get about 2/3-1 full stop OVERexposure due to the brightness of the sky.

Hope that helps.