Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New waders!  (Read 14145 times)

milo

• Old Timer
New waders!
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:30:37 PM »

Amazing that there is so much difference in size and fit between two different wader models in size XXL. ???

Ever since William Joseph came up with the new version of their excellent Drynamic waders, I have wanted them. I ordered a pair in size XXL through Fred's tackle, but unfortunately, they didn't fit me properly. They are meant for someone not taller than 6'1". They would be perfect for a stockier guy around 5'10' - 6' and between 230-260 pounds. As a result, I had to leave them at Fred's and look for alternatives within my wader budget of 300 bucks.

After trying out a bunch of other models, today I became the proud owner of a new set of BARE's Adams waders. They fit me very comfortably, and I had them on all day and made them work quite hard. So far so good. Hopefully, they won't develop a leak in the crotch area like their predecessor. Looking forward to several fishing seasons out of them.

If someone wants to check out the William Joseph Drynamic waders in XXL at Fred's, by all means do so.
You didn't hear it from me, but Fred is willing to let them go at a very good price (better than USA price) ;).
It is a one-time deal, as Fred doesn't carry WJ waders on a regular basis.

Nitroholic

Re: New waders!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »

I don't like how the neoprene boot attaches to the wader on the Bares, it looks and feels like it won't hold up compared to how Simms does there's. Has anyone experienced this?

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »

I don't like how the neoprene boot attaches to the wader on the Bares, it looks and feels like it won't hold up compared to how Simms does there's. Has anyone experienced this?

You are 100% correct, but Bare's cost 1/4 what Simms cost, so if they last a few seasons, you could get at least 3 pairs of Bare's for the Price of on pair of Simms that last 5 years.

Bare did have some issues in the past with leakage in the crotch on the Breathables, but talking to the reps, it seems as though they finally have it sorted out. If so, the Bare waders are VERY good for the price.

Milo, let me know how they are, would be interesting to see how they perform in the winter.

Rick

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:48 PM »

Milo, let me know how they are, would be interesting to see how they perform in the winter.

I sure will.
I have been given the go ahead by Fred to kick the crap out of them, per request of the manufacturer. If anything fails, I should let them know. BARE really believes they've scored a killer product in that price range. I believe they are right, but time will tell.

bcguy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »

Buddy of mine just bought a pair of them, I would have as well, but ended up buying a pair of Simms Freestones, after deciding I wanted some new boots as well.
Should be an interesting trial by comparison, neither of us is easy on our gear, and are not the park and fish types. I'll let you know how well either one performs, after a   Steelheading season trapsing around on the Chehailis and Vedder. ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Banny

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »

Although I cannot comment directly on the waders, my dad purchased a Bare Adams wading jacket during the last steelhead season.  We have fished through some very nasty weather and done some decent bushwacking since he bought it and the jacket has held up very well.  He is very happy with it after getting soaked/having issues with a few cheapish jackets in the previous few salmon/steelhead seasons.  It is very well designed imo from the cuff design, hood design, overall fit etc.

I hope the same can be said for the waders from their new line up.

Jordan

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »

I'm a big fan of Bare; used my 5 year old Blackwaters today on the Vedder with no issues.  Was looking kinda outa place however as my 2 partners, both from this forum, were in Simms ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:44 AM »

Ive yet to go more than one salmon season in my Bares without leaks, big leaks
although an older pair of the lighter Cuthroats lasted 3 or 4 years, unlike the newer ones
now I hear they wont repair or replace them?
riiiiiip off

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »

I have gone 6 seasons in my William Joseph Drynamics. I now have a small hole in the foot. ( so not the waders fault as I must have stepped on something ) anyone buying the William Joseph waders will get a great pair.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

I sure will.
I have been given the go ahead by Fred to kick the crap out of them, per request of the manufacturer. If anything fails, I should let them know. BARE really believes they've scored a killer product in that price range. I believe they are right, but time will tell.

Hey Milo

Any update on your Bare Adam waders ?  I just notice Fred's is no longer selling Bare breathable waders anymore ???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »

Bare and William Joseph are garbage. You get what you pay for.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

Bare and William Joseph are garbage. You get what you pay for.

Really? Do you know from experience? Which ones did you own? I would say six seasons on mine is pretty damn good.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »

Hey Milo

Any update on your Bare Adam waders ?  I just notice Fred's is no longer selling Bare breathable waders anymore ???

They are still fine, but I haven't really used them much yet.

I spoke to Fred's about them not carrying the BARE breathable line anymore and sadly, it seems that generally speaking Bare's new breathables are not holding up very well.
That's too bad because BARE customer service is among the best out there.
Since I bought my Bare waders at Fred's, they offered me to upgrade me to a Simms product for a reasonable fee if my BARE waders get to develop a leak while in warranty.
We'll see. This summer will tell.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:56:03 PM by milo »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

Really? Do you know from experience? Which ones did you own? I would say six seasons on mine is pretty damn good.

6 seasons with 20 days a season in them? That's about as much as Trout Slayer fishes in a year. I've had issues with Bare waders as well. Though this was years ago.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »

6 seasons with 20 days a season in them? That's about as much as Trout Slayer fishes in a year. I've had issues with Bare waders as well. Though this was years ago.

Good point Dion, a "season" for some could be a decade for others. IMO when it comes to waders you cannot beat Simms.