Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 241984 times)

StillAqua

Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »

Don't blame the 50's generation for that! Put the blame on industry and government for the reasons I gave. Suggesting the cause for the devastation created by those chemicals was "50's thinking" is naive. The same dollars driving industry and government in the 50's are driving them today. If it wasn't for a few aware forward thinking people that convinced industry and government that "environmental assessment" was required the carnage would have continued.

Morton has no ties to industry or government, she is the one pushing for "environmental assessment" with respect to the fish farms.
None of those chemicals would be approved in Canada for widespread use today given our environmental regulations that we fought long and hard for. I was very active in the environmental movement in the late 60's and 70's and I know what industry and government attitudes were like then and what they are like now and there is no comparison.

BTW, I really liked the old Alex Morton, the environmentalist, before she started pandering to the media for headlines and throwing around conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories are just a poor mans argument when the facts don't fit your beliefs. You can never disprove a conspiracy theory.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

Defenders of fish farms, does this not make you wonder what is going on, not too transparent is it.

Back in September, it was revealed at the Cohen Commission that Dr. Kristi Miller’s work on salmon leukemia was being directly controlled by the Prime Minister’s Office in Ottawa. In particular, the PMO intervened to ban Miller from responding to media requests in the days leading to the publication of her research in the prestigious journal Science.
At Cohen, we also discovered that DFO had cut off all funding – that’s zero dollars – for Dr. Miller’s critical research on salmon. To our knowledge, the funding still remains cut off to this day.
When the first positive results of ISA were discovered, The Provincial Government made the accusation that the original samples that tested positive had been destroyed. In an ironically self-defeating comment (since it was later confirmed that the samples were fine), Liberal MLA. D. McRae said in the BC Legislature: “Well, we've got another example of spinning media headlines and fear mongering from the opposition.”
Around the same time, Province-of-BC lead veterinarian Dr. Gary Marty was asked by CBC Radio about the multiple cases of jaundiced salmon that Alexandra Morton had found in the Fraser River with heavily diseased livers. With a straight face, he answered that those may have been (wait wait wait) albino fish. What about their diseased livers? Ah yeah, albino fish with a drinking problem, I guess.
Perhaps one of the more disturbing recent incidents. After ISA was discovered, many members of the public such as myself posted the lab results on their blogs, as a public service. The director of the lab that had done the testing, Dr. Fred Kibenge, wrote to salmon activist Don Staniford asking him to remove the lab results from his blog, because “this information was not intended for the public and should not be posted anywhere publicly”. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »

None of those chemicals would be approved in Canada for widespread use today given our environmental regulations that we fought long and hard for. I was very active in the environmental movement in the late 60's and 70's and I know what industry and government attitudes were like then and what they are like now and there is no comparison.

Of course they wouldn't be approved today...  but the journey to get today included a lot of fighting with and screaming at industry and government before they changed the rules. It's highly unlikely industry or government would have made any changes without being pushed by the environmentalists of the day.

Fast forward to today and we have fish farms.....

The only reason you liked Alex Morton as the environmentalist and don't like her today is because today she is actually making a difference in bringing awareness to the fish farms potential long term harm to the environment if they are allowed to operate as is. I understand you not liking her and attempting to discredit her at every opportunity.....   no one likes to have their livelihood threatened.

I don't imagine the producers of harmful chemicals of the 50's were all that happy with the people that pointed out the problems their products were creating in the environment.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:38:16 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »

Defenders of fish farms, does this not make you wonder what is going on, not too transparent is it.

Back in September, it was revealed at the Cohen Commission that Dr. Kristi Miller’s work on salmon leukemia was being directly controlled by the Prime Minister’s Office in Ottawa. In particular, the PMO intervened to ban Miller from responding to media requests in the days leading to the publication of her research in the prestigious journal Science.
At Cohen, we also discovered that DFO had cut off all funding – that’s zero dollars – for Dr. Miller’s critical research on salmon. To our knowledge, the funding still remains cut off to this day.
Defenders of the truth sir, not fish farms.

That's a perfect example of the problem I have with Alex Morton now. You're quoting from her blog and how she's twisting the Cohen testimony to her purposes. If you read ALL the transcripts, you'd know why the PMO office had a problem with her being interviewed BEFORE she gave her sworn testimony. You'd also know what the status was of all research funding in DFO and in particular the one special funding source she was using. There's no conspiracy, just the every day hurdles of being a public servant in a tight fisted, overly cautious Federal government.

I agree though that the fish farm Vets need some serious educating about wild salmon.

StillAqua

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »

The only reason you liked Alex Morton as the environmentalist and don't like her today is because today she is actually making a difference in bringing awareness to the fish farms potential long term harm to the environment if they are allowed to operate as is. I understand you not liking her and attempting to discredit her at every opportunity.....   no one likes to have their livelihood threatened.
Once again your characterizations are off base AF. It's her recent tactics with the virus issue that turned me off. The rest of your comment makes no sense...you have me confused with a fish farmer apparently.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=1254

I remember reading about the affect on SeaTrout from salmon farms years back in Ireland. How it was wiping out some of the best streams. So if someone is getting a red herring lesson on farmed salmon history, they should ask for their money back.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=1254

I remember reading about the affect on SeaTrout from salmon farms years back in Ireland. How it was wiping out some of the best streams. So if someone is getting a red herring lesson on farmed salmon history, they should ask for their money back.

Seriously.  Where do you guys find this diatribe.
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »

Seriously.  Where do you guys find this diatribe.

You may know what you were thinking when you wrote your post....   but unless you explain what "diatribe" you are talking about, no one knows what you are referring to.  Of course that's assuming that we care.....  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »

You may know what you were thinking when you wrote your post....   but unless you explain what "diatribe" you are talking about, no one knows what you are referring to.  Of course that's assuming that we care.....  ;D
If you don't care, why are you replying?  I expected a better response from you and the anti's regarding this latest setback to remove salmon farms from BC waters.  So far nothing original or thought provoking.
Don't worry though as I'm sure Ms. Morton isn't done yet; she willl find something (possibly a salmon covered in fungus, or horrors, even dying) to stir the crowds again.

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »

heres a simple question, why cant they move them on land?......holmes*

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »

If you don't care, why are you replying?  I expected a better response from you and the anti's regarding this latest setback to remove salmon farms from BC waters.  So far nothing original or thought provoking.
Don't worry though as I'm sure Ms. Morton isn't done yet; she willl find something (possibly a salmon covered in fungus, or horrors, even dying) to stir the crowds again.

I'm comfortable that my post contained more intelligence than the post I replied to.....   ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

:-[ :-[ ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22466-massive-aran-fish-farm-would-create-500-new-jobs

I was referring to the link you provided for us AF, so I was talking to a couple of friends of mine that belong to Niffa, the Northern Ireland Fly Fishing Association, and it seem to them anyways that Salmon netting is a greater concern to them than the fish farms are, as the nets are devistating the runs of Atlantic salmon that are trying to return to their spawning rivers.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22466-massive-aran-fish-farm-would-create-500-new-jobs

I was referring to the link you provided for us AF, so I was talking to a couple of friends of mine that belong to Niffa, the Northern Ireland Fly Fishing Association, and it seem to them anyways that Salmon netting is a greater concern to them than the fish farms are, as the nets are devistating the runs of Atlantic salmon that are trying to return to their spawning rivers.

I haven't provided any links in this thread....  perhaps you're mistaking me for StillAqua.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

Sorry my bad it was TB