Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to figure out a sink rate  (Read 1842 times)

Preliator

How to figure out a sink rate
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »

When I purchased my fly rod setup, I got it with an additional spool with a sinking line spooled onto it. As I was excited to get it all, I failed to really thinking about it and ask what rate the sinking line was, so now I'm curious as this can easily be the difference of a quality outing or not. Can you count it out as it sinks?

I'm going to make this a two-part question instead of making two threads. Do most people use a stripping tray when using a float tube? I find casting out a sinking line difficult as it is easy to lose track of. Maybe a nice, solid haul? I usually need a couple false casts still (yeah yeah, too many), but I'm hoping to not need a stripping tray.

roseph

Re: How to figure out a sink rate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Call the shop or check the manufacturers website.  If you don't have a phone, then yes the next way would be to manually calculate the sink rate.  Just stand in a foot of water and drop the line, count and divide 12 by the number of seconds it takes to get the IPS.

I don't use a float tube but I have seen some use some type of stripping tray in the past.  It's not at all necessary but will save you some frustration if you can make the room.