Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing for vedder springs  (Read 3356 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
fly fishing for vedder springs
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »

Anyone flyfish for vedder springs?  Or does their preference for fast & deep water make it pretty impossible?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: fly fishing for vedder springs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »

Oh come on! You are a member of a club that manages to throw near weightless pieces of wire and feather 50 foot out. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

And to your question, no clue. But a google search shows a lot of pictures of chinook with flies in their mouths! Whether you can do it on the vedder or not, is beyond me.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

mistermongz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:55:55 AM »

nothing is impossible.... hahah i am gonna try it this sun. will let you know how i do.
Fish on!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

Certainly do. I've landed springs in the V-C to around 25lbs and hooked fish pushing the 40 mark. The basics are straightforward. You'll need a #9 rod minimum. Springs don't chase flies much and you'll need to get the fly down to where they are. Use an across and down presentation with mends to get and keep the fly near the bottom. Use tips appropriate to the water and I prefer water I can use a clear intermediate tip. Other people use denser tips in faster water. While springs prefer deep heavier water it doesn't have to be crazy deep slots or tanks. They'll hold in 4 to 6 feet of water if all is right. Look for fish. Watch for rises or if you can see fish holding near the bottom.

You'll get a lot of different advice on what fly to use. Basically don't go large 6's & 8s seem the best. Many favour blue or black. Muddlers in natural shades etc. I have done best with yellow and a bit of red, my favourite is the KCK. They definitely take them and many of the fish I land are hooked inside the mouth. A issue to consider is lighter wire hooks usually used for trout or even coho may pull open. So I use small tube flies with short stout hooks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mcallagan

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:55 AM »

I've gotten a few on the fly!
I've used mostly large vibrant coloured bunny leaches (red, orange) with large dumbbell eyes to make them sink.
Find rapids and then drop your cast at the end of them so that the fly goes down the drop off and into the bottom of the pool.
Then hold on and hope you have enough backing :o
Seems to work for me.........

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »

Oh come on! You are a member of a club that manages to throw near weightless pieces of wire and feather 50 foot out. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

And to your question, no clue. But a google search shows a lot of pictures of chinook with flies in their mouths! Whether you can do it on the vedder or not, is beyond me.

Yeah anything is possible.  I know a few guys that have had success there, but not me.
Not all those who wander are lost

Carich980

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »

I was catching some tonight using an orange and white egg pattern, they were breaking off. I never landed one yet but when they came to the surface they were making me wonder if my 8 weight Sage was in danger  :-\ !