Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Slasher On The Loose--Vedder  (Read 39466 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Tire Slasher On The Loose--Vedder
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »

What a sad story indeed!
If anyone has their car vandalised, they should report it to the police, no matter how minor, so that authorities could become aware how serious the situation is on the Vedder.
This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable in a civilised socieity.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

Yet another reason why I want nothing to do with the Vedder.

X2, I will only go back very early in the year or very late in the year, when 90% of the crowds are gone. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »

Oh wonderful, what an enlightened view of the situation.  Regardless of where folks are from they are in my books entitled to fish free of harassment.  What if you were on a holiday, whether it be in the U.S., or another part of Canada and someone did this to your vehicle.  Would you ever go back to that place, probably not.
I know it has been said to look out for shady goings on, and to report it to RAPP, or to call in vandalism to the RCMP. However, I think this type of crap has gone on far too long on the Vedder.  What I would like to see is  a reward put out for the culprits responsible for this senseless vandalism.  A hat could be passed around amongst businesses, such as hotels, tackle shops, campgrounds, gas stations, and restaurants.  The amount collected could easily amount to a couple of thousand bucks, and hopefully lead to some of their buddies spilling the beans on the morons who were responsible for the tire slashings.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »

Slashing tires is ridiculous but I dont want americans coming up here and fishing our rivers. They have plenty of rivers down south
I think they are in the minority and we should welcome them like they do when we go South which thousands do for many reasons including fishing. We also have to thank the Americans a lot for our security and what they did in World War11 for the free world. That's is another topic and should go to general discussion if it wants to be discussed but most likely a topic not for this web site but maybe I am wrong on that. We did discuss the HST. ;D ;D

I also would add, I welcome one and all to my community but do not appreciate all the garbage they leave behind, :( its terrible out there just after we cleaned most of it up 2 weeks ago today. I don't think they are just Americans doing that. :-X

Sam6140

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »

A decent number of Canadians venture just south of the border to fish - especially for Bass.  Now, what if these Canadians were being targeted by vandals as well?   Come on people.  Who cares if some Americans come and fish here.  They're our friends and neighbors, and frankly people from WA state are a lot nicer and friendlier than people here in BC.  Would you prefer it if the Vedder was packed with newly immigrated Canadians who aren't even citizens and don't speak English?  

We go down to the U.S. and shop, get gas, thereby increasing prices near the border - and some Americans get annoyed.  But, they also need to feel thankful that we support their economy.  Visiting Americans help contribute to the local economy.  Believe me, not a lot of Americans have any interest in coming into Canada.  If it takes a Salmon run to get them to spend their money over here, then so be it.  We don't really have anything else to offer them, that they don't already have.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:59:45 PM by Sam6140 »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »

absolute efin BS.
I hope those A-holes get what is coming to them. perhaps a game camera ?
considering the number of people affected , everyone should be calling the RCMP to complain or hopefully a tip. The RCMP will react if enough heat is placed on them.
This is one of the examples where comunities can demand for action, perhaps to divert vigilant action, like what happend up at Slesse creek in the early nineties. Perp had the living crap kicked out of him, caught red handed by the wrong guys.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sinaran

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »

Would you prefer it if the Vedder was packed with newly immigrated Canadians who aren't even citizens and don't speak English?  

what's wrong with newly immigrated Canadians who aren't even citizens and can't speak English?  don't they pay taxes like you too? they don't look like you and don't speak your language doesn't mean you are good and they are bad.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

We also have to thank the Americans a lot for our security and what they did in World War11 for the free world. That's is another topic and should go to general discussion if it wants to be discussed but most likely a topic not for this web site but maybe I am wrong on that. We did discuss the HST. ;D ;D

I'll bite on this one, Chris.

While the US did contribute arms and equipment to the European war effort, most notably great quantities of trucks to the Sovier Union, after Germany invaded in 1941, they did not actually declare war on Germany until Dec 1941, after Pearl Harbour.  England, Canada and other countries entered the war in Sep 1939 following the German invasion of Poland.
The European war could not have been won without the US but the great question for historians is would they have entered the European war without Pearl Harbour?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »

What if you were on a holiday, whether it be in the U.S., or another part of Canada and someone did this to your vehicle.  Would you ever go back to that place, probably not.

No...but that was probably the idea.  It is quite ridiculous down there at KWB.  I was fish the Yarrow area at Wilson road.  Only 4 or 5 guys down at my end, and no one fishing my little pond that I was hoping was holding coho.  Unfortunately there were no willing coho, but I did find the pinks eager to bite, although most were pretty old and the hook seemed to pull out even easier than normal.  These little guys must really have an inferiority complex they way the are so aggressive.  As my fly would move over them they would just go berserk and feign to attack it.  I did get to see why their bites are so soft too, as unlike a coho that turns when it grabs the hook, the pinks grab the hook and keep swimming with it in the mouth.  If they turn it is only slightly, so it is not until the next strip that you fell that slight resistance and realize you have a bite on.  

Anyhow, after failing to locate any coho up there, I drove down to see the show at KWB and wow.  There must have been 30 cars on the north side of the bridge alone and the dike had cars parked on both sides of the roadway.  There had to be over a hundred guys and gals fishing those first few runs below the bridge.  From what I saw, the rest of the river was business as usual... it was just there.
Not all those who wander are lost

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »

There had to be over a hundred guys and gals fishing those first few runs below the bridge.  From what I saw, the rest of the river was business as usual... it was just there.

That is amazing. But, why only there in such great concentration of anglers?
I haven't been up to Vedder since April, but coho would normally migrate up river, especially if their is lots of pressure along the canal.
Beyond KWB, there are many good spots like Brown, Hopedale, Lickman, Peach just to name a few spots, at least for steelheading.
So why are so many fisherman hell bent on that small piece of real estate?
Do cohos go off the bite after passing that point?
Must be a reason. I am just curious..... ???

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »

That is amazing. But, why only there in such great concentration of anglers?
I haven't been up to Vedder since April, but coho would normally migrate up river, especially if their is lots of pressure along the canal.
Beyond KWB, there are many good spots like Brown, Hopedale, Lickman, Peach just to name a few spots, at least for steelheading.
So why are so many fisherman hell bent on that small piece of real estate?
Do cohos go off the bite after passing that point?
Must be a reason. I am just curious..... ???
Several personal reasons:
1. Tidal influence in the lower canal
2. Greater numbers of fish. The further you go upstream the more get picked off and the less there are
3. Less travelling time
4. Fish are less gear shy and spooky

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »

Anyhow, after failing to locate any coho up there, I drove down to see the show at KWB and wow.  There must have been 30 cars on the north side of the bridge alone and the dike had cars parked on both sides of the roadway.  There had to be over a hundred guys and gals fishing those first few runs below the bridge.  From what I saw, the rest of the river was business as usual... it was just there.

the first guy i saw fixing his tire was up at cedars...i came across another truck with flat tires at the crossing.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »

I'll bite on this one, Chris.

While the US did contribute arms and equipment to the European war effort, most notably great quantities of trucks to the Sovier Union, after Germany invaded in 1941, they did not actually declare war on Germany until Dec 1941, after Pearl Harbour.  England, Canada and other countries entered the war in Sep 1939 following the German invasion of Poland.
The European war could not have been won without the US but the great question for historians is would they have entered the European war without Pearl Harbour?

I totally agree...let's not forget Japan would have never surrendered if it wasn't for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Not to insult America, but I think they take too much credit for the second world war... History shows that the war could have gone the other way.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:44:59 AM by blaydRnr »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:49 PM »

Slashing tires is ridiculous but I dont want americans coming up here and fishing our rivers. They have plenty of rivers down south

Why would you say that? It would be like them saying they don't like Canadians going down South to buy their gas and create lineups at the border and traffic on their streets.

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 12:20:42 AM »

i'll tell ya one thing, if i caught someone messing with anything of mine, especially slashing my tires?, just call the coroner cause there would be no need to call a paramedic for someone thats gutted like a fish, and im serious, i dont even know how u folks fish over there with all those ppl, let alone put up with this kind of BS, im sure glad i live over on this rock away from all that crap, yikes, id be in court, or jail,  quicker than u could catch a sockeye last year,lol,  >:( :o .....holmes*