Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon WASTED!  (Read 6565 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Salmon WASTED!
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »

ANY one else would be Charged and Severely Punished!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Waste+salmon+First+Nations+fishery+prompts+complaint/5460811/story.html

DISGUSTING!!  >:(
Nog

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon WASTED!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »

that is one sickening sight.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

the same happened to sockeyes every year, so i wasn't surprised if this happens to the poor pinkies too.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »

The government is not going to do anything. As IronNoggin said if it was you or me, we'd we haul in front of a judge. This type of action has happened in the past.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:53:03 PM by Fish Assassin »

Sam6140

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

oh man.  I'm pissed and feel sick.  I can't believe people can actually do that to the poor fish.  I will never eat store bought (possibly half rotten) Salmon now.  Who knows if they've been through that too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:25:44 PM by Sam6140 »

Blackrt03

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »

x2 Sam I'm with you on this

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

I see this happen every season,chum and pinks you should see the garbage they leave behind. Not native bashing just the facts. Buisness as usual.

JPW

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »

Disappointing  :'(

buck

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

DFO should be held accountable for allowing this to happen. On site inspection should be part of this rape and pillage fishery. Oh no we couldn't have someone checking to see what we are doing.
Ken Malloway and Ernie Crey are nothing more than a couple of spin doctors . Conservationist they are not. Next on the hit list will be the chum salmon.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »

its all politics and whose my friend one must kiss to keep everyone in check. the government wont do anything, its not about wasting fish its about politics. the fish were gone the next day so the story says, therefore theres no evidence

better yet theres no money left in dfo to track where the fish ended up.

its just a few pictures people take that get everyone fired up that start speculation and people assuming things like "thats where all the fish go" "FN are unethical, etc etc

TyCrane

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »

just a disgusting waste of fish

chironomidking

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »

The news article may be a bit misleading.  The pink fishery is a roe fishery and the fish are not meant for human consumption.  Roe is harvested and the fish are fertilizer.  You can see by the photos that all the fish are female.  I was on the river during the beach netting and every net set had at least 5 people tossing back the males.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »

Out on the Fraser last weekend and seen all the natives trucking out Pinks as well as this Packer/Gillnet boat . He was hanging out in the main flow waiting for the native beach seine nets fill and  come out and fill it up . After they took on a few loads from the skiffs they would just sit there and wait for more . I thought it was a little strange when this boat started to toss fish out over the side . I wasn't that close to the boat at the time but I could see them throwing pinks back . Must have been the male pinks . It was terrible to see the fish being tossed out like garbage . They were allready dead or dying from the stress  >:(

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:28 PM »

I see this all the time. This is part of commercial fishing. As long as there is commercial fishing going on this  will happen. Lots of waste and collateral damage. As far as i am concerned commercial fishing should be banned. Everything sold in stores should be farm raised and those who venture out to catch their own fish should get to eat wild fish.
You don't wild boar and deer meat at Safeway.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »

Must have been the male pinks . It was terrible to see the fish being tossed out like garbage . They were allready dead or dying from the stress  >:(

It is also terrible to see salmon dragged up the beach by anglers then kicked back into the water when it is time for release.  It is also dissapointing to see anglers not give much care to proper species identification and just bonk whatever they catch even if its a endangered steelhead or coho.  There are a lot things I don't like about commercial fisheries, but I don't think anglers should get all cozy about how some of their own treat fish....and it doesn't make it into the media for all to see and read about it.

In regards to the particular fishery this thread is about in the first place....are we sure we have all the relevant facts or are we just basing our opinion on the article?