Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thought I seen every thing until ....TODAY  (Read 8145 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Thought I seen every thing until ....TODAY
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

Its in the salmon supplement as it only applys to salmon, not trout or whitefish.

Good point. Didn't think to look there.
At any rate, the rearing area he described as being on the west side of the river, the Ruskin channel is on the east.

stavesilver

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »

Let me try to clarify this issue
The creek I was talking about runs down the mountain on the west side it continues under Wilson road through a fish ladder and into a tiny channel beside what looks like an old boat launch  it is approximately  2 blocks south of the Ruskin dam on Wilson road.
They have worked on this particular creek for approximately 5 years in an effort to maintain a small spawning channel for coho.

Every other year this channel gets filled with mud from heavy rains, yet fisheries and volunteers have continued to try and restore this tiny spawning channel every year. 2 months ago this channel was filled to the top with mud there was absolutely no way any other species of fish could have survived or entered the channel during this time.
Just last month they finished this salmon habitat restoration project and cleared the mud and filled the channel with new fry  and tree stumps to protect them. This new channel now runs parallel with the old boat launch type road off Wilson and runs into the stave river once again .
 The couple with their daughter all had rods and were specifically targeting these fry  with small hooks and a piece of corn jigging their rod up and down trying to entice a bite from one of these fry .
It wasn't until I turned to look back when the man raised his rod and plopped a small 2 inch minnow on to the dirt/gravel road and
and started to laugh.
These people have never seen the hard work the fisheries and volunteers have done to try to re-establish this small spawning  pond
I have watched and helped out any way I could just as I help the people from the Inch Creek Hatchery with the heavy nets when collecting spawning salmon from the toilet bowl
I completely understand and am aware that much bigger issues regarding ethics and regulations that happen every year

However for those that condone this particular couples actions and expect me to turn my cheek the other way and mind my own business  should try and understand that I have watched the efforts in trying to increase the quality of the stave river over the last 20 years
 As corny as it may sound I try my best to help because I live so close by and appreciate the fisheries for what they do to help the sport fishing industry where ever I fish ............and if that means being a RAT then so be it

doja

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

Given how thick the salmon are in the channel, unless you are fishing with a dry fly, you would be hard pressed to avoid snagging spawning fish or to convince an Officer that you are not "fishing for salmon," both of which are not allowed.  Maybe if you were using small hooks and a 2 pound tippet?

The people I have seen bar fish with small Aquatic invertebrates for bait and light gear and do fairly well. Me and a buddy were fishing for larger fish and this guy was doing fairly well in this one spot for small white fish. Was cool to see a different method. 8)

Drifting  with proper set-up should work well to avoid salmon (or steelhead).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »

Three seasons ago at the UFV Sport Fishing Advisory Committee, members identified the repeating problems at the spawning channel in question. After consultation with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and BC Hydro, closure of salmon fishing is then implemented for this section, as described under "Stave River" on the following page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

Because Fisheries and Oceans Canada is only responsible for anadromous salmon species in freshwater, this channel remains open for fishing for other species as the province has not implemented the same no fishing rule for the rest of the species (ie. the absence of "no fishing" listed in the current freshwater fishing regulations synopsis.

My advice is to not dipping a line in there during the salmon season.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:53 AM »

Let me try to clarify this issue
The creek I was talking about runs down the mountain on the west side it continues under Wilson road through a fish ladder and into a tiny channel beside what looks like an old boat launch  it is approximately  2 blocks south of the Ruskin dam on Wilson road.
They have worked on this particular creek for approximately 5 years in an effort to maintain a small spawning channel for coho.

Every other year this channel gets filled with mud from heavy rains, yet fisheries and volunteers have continued to try and restore this tiny spawning channel every year. 2 months ago this channel was filled to the top with mud there was absolutely no way any other species of fish could have survived or entered the channel during this time.
Just last month they finished this salmon habitat restoration project and cleared the mud and filled the channel with new fry  and tree stumps to protect them. This new channel now runs parallel with the old boat launch type road off Wilson and runs into the stave river once again .
 The couple with their daughter all had rods and were specifically targeting these fry  with small hooks and a piece of corn jigging their rod up and down trying to entice a bite from one of these fry .
It wasn't until I turned to look back when the man raised his rod and plopped a small 2 inch minnow on to the dirt/gravel road and
and started to laugh.
These people have never seen the hard work the fisheries and volunteers have done to try to re-establish this small spawning  pond
I have watched and helped out any way I could just as I help the people from the Inch Creek Hatchery with the heavy nets when collecting spawning salmon from the toilet bowl
I completely understand and am aware that much bigger issues regarding ethics and regulations that happen every year

However for those that condone this particular couples actions and expect me to turn my cheek the other way and mind my own business  should try and understand that I have watched the efforts in trying to increase the quality of the stave river over the last 20 years
 As corny as it may sound I try my best to help because I live so close by and appreciate the fisheries for what they do to help the sport fishing industry where ever I fish ............and if that means being a RAT then so be it

The spawning channel in question that is in fact closed is on the EAST side along hayward street you are talking about the WEST side which is not closed,you have been watching this river for 20 years huh. that's laughable, perhaps you were at the shake and shingle before you went there and got your directions mixed up. If you go below the spawning channel where you are allowed to fish there is great fishing for cutties. Get your facts straight before you go out harassing families. ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:06:26 AM by k.c. »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

K.C. he is NOT talking about the spawning channel, he only mentioned that this couple may have been fishing the spawning channel before.  He is talking about a creek on the west side.  Try to keep up.  Other people (doja et al.) have expounded on the legality of fishing the actual spawning channel as a sidebar to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:19:58 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Sinaran

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 07:57:33 PM »

A lot of those who found guilty of doing such, were in fact new to the sport.  I know it is their responsibility to go through the regulations before they get involved in the activity, how many of us here started this hobby with full understanding of the regulations anyways??  even if they've done something wrong, how much effort would that take us to educate them, or call them in if they won't bother..?  I believe this family was just out for some fun, not like they would fish regularly like you and me.  So, It's really not worth getting overly upset over things like this, because in two weeks of time, you would witness the "real show" at the very same place...

chill, let's go fishing and have some fun. :)   ;)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!