Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thought I seen every thing until ....TODAY  (Read 8149 times)

stavesilver

Thought I seen every thing until ....TODAY
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »

I was a the Stave on the west side, I live near by so went to look for any signs of fish  . There is a very small fish ladder and a creek that goes up into a farm not far from the dam . They recently dug out the creek and put pools and stumps for spawning coho  and added some fry .
I get there and a man his wife and a little girl have there lines in this small pool fishing for these 2 inch fry    . seriously I couldnt believe my eyes   mad as hell I told him  that what he was doing was not only illegal but disgusting as well.
As I was leaving I turn to see him pull a 2 inch minnow and landed it on the dirt !!!!!
I dont think he understood a word I said so when I got home I called the DFO  to inform them.  Unfortunately it was getting dark and they probably left........   

frozensalmon

Re: Thought I seen every thing until ....TODAY
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:48:35 PM »

you should take video...submit it...
more coho, more coho... ::)

stavesilver

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

If I had my cell phone I would have .............   it was bad enough they used to fish the spawning channel at the toilet bowl but this was way out of line ...........  never seen anything this stupid!!!!!!!!!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »

they were probably just new to fishing and dont understand

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »

Disgusting or not, help me understand why it is illegal what they were doing?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:47:53 AM »

they were probably just new to fishing and dont understand
Even if new to fishing, if someone comes over and says "Hey, dont do this for this and this reason" or at least talked to you about it, then whether you understand or not, be on the safe side and just stop doing it until you do understand.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sam6140

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:38 AM »

Hey, is the dirt really bad for the fish?  The only reason I'm asking is that once I caught a 12-14" cutthroat trout, and man they're slimy and slippery.  So, he slipped outta my hands and landed in the dirt, by my feet.  Well, I released him, and he seemed ok at that time.  But the dirt was stuck all over one side of the poor fish.  I felt so bad.  Does it come off?  Is the fish hurt by that?  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:32:30 AM by Sam6140 »

stavesilver

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »

to Sam6140
Read page 11 in your regulations it tells you all you need to know on how to release a fish properly. 

to Clarki

Fishing in a obvious spawning channel im sure is illegal this is a tiny creek that was just dug out from a mun flow . It was restored with stumps put in to protect the fry so they have a place to rear. I watched the fisheries complete the project  when they  release the fry ,   flopping a 2 inch minnow on a gravel/ dirt road is certainly what I would call releasing a fish in a harmful manner which is also illegal.

doja

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »

to Clarki

Fishing in a obvious spawning channel im sure is illegal this is a tiny creek that was just dug out from a mun flow . It was restored with stumps put in to protect the fry so they have a place to rear. I watched the fisheries complete the project  when they  release the fry ,   flopping a 2 inch minnow on a gravel/ dirt road is certainly what I would call releasing a fish in a harmful manner which is also illegal.

It is perfectly legal to fish the ruskin spawning Chanel.... if not fishing for salmon.

If this so called creek or ladder is listed in the freshwater regulations as closed to fishing then there may be an issue. But even if closed to just salmon he may be fishing for white fish, trout.

But if not listed I'm pretty sure you can fish it.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:17:04 AM by doja »

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »

You should mind your own buisness  ??? nice of you to ruin a family outing with your b.s. hope you are proud of yourself.

doja

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:03 AM »

Hmm, if they were fishing for non-salmon.... I wonder if they moved to this new channel due to your "presence" when they were fishing in the spawning channel....

I've several times meet people fishing for trout and white fish not unlike what this fellow may have been doing. Seems out of place but nothing wrong with it, and while fishing these small area's it's understandable to catch the odd minnow/small fish by accident.

Where there are minnows they may be trout eating them...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

to Clarki

Fishing in a obvious spawning channel im sure is illegal this is a tiny creek that was just dug out from a mun flow . It was restored with stumps put in to protect the fry so they have a place to rear. I watched the fisheries complete the project  when they  release the fry ,   flopping a 2 inch minnow on a gravel/ dirt road is certainly what I would call releasing a fish in a harmful manner which is also illegal.

There are no prohibitions to fishing where he was fishing. It is not illegal to fish in an enhanced/fish rearing area in the province wide regulations and there are no "no fishing" areas on the Stave, or its tribs (apart from the Ruskin spawning channel which is posted on-site and not in the regs that I can see).  I'm not even sure that it is disgusting, but it might be irresponsible.  I appreciate you not liking what you saw and speaking out about it, however you need to be very careful when you start playing the illegal card and perhaps intimidating a family.

I would say save your energy. There will be enough truly illegal fishing activities on the Stave in less than a month for you to express your righteous indignation.

doja

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »

There are no prohibitions to fishing where he was fishing. It is not illegal to fish in an enhanced/fish rearing area in the province wide regulations and there are no "no fishing" areas on the Stave, or its tribs (apart from the Ruskin spawning channel which is posted on-site and not in the regs that I can see).  I'm not even sure that it is disgusting, but it might be irresponsible.  I appreciate you not liking what you saw and speaking out about it, however you need to be very careful when you start playing the illegal card and perhaps intimidating a family.

I would say save your energy. There will be enough truly illegal fishing activities on the Stave in less than a month for you to express your righteous indignation.

Its in the salmon supplement as it only applys to salmon, not trout or whitefish.

Schenley

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »

From the regs:

There are five basic exceptions:
􀁘 “No fishing” areas (see Regional Tables);
􀁘 Within Ecological Reserves (this page);
􀁘 Within 23 m below the lower entrance to any
fishway, canal, obstacle or leap;
􀁘 Within a 100 m radius of any government
facility operated for counting, passing or
rearing fish (e.g., fishway, fish hatchery,
aeration system) unless otherwise
designated;

Thats as close as the regs come to dealing with this senario

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »

Its in the salmon supplement as it only applys to salmon, not trout or whitefish.

Given how thick the salmon are in the channel, unless you are fishing with a dry fly, you would be hard pressed to avoid snagging spawning fish or to convince an Officer that you are not "fishing for salmon," both of which are not allowed.  Maybe if you were using small hooks and a 2 pound tippet?
Not all those who wander are lost