Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River Steelhead  (Read 16757 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Thompson River Steelhead
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »

While on my latest trip to the Thompson fishing for jacks and hunting for grouse I filmed Steve Rice from Spences Bridge about the steelhead situation on the Thompson. This will certainly start a debare in many forms, I think. ;D

What should be done that has not been done to save this mighty fish? Some are taken by anglers at6 this time of year who donot know what a steelhead looks like, there are intercepted by Commercial and F/N netting activity
and of course the Test Fisheries on the Fraser including Albion that is used to attempt to get the run size as Steve talks about.

http://youtu.be/zf9YK1-P_kM

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Thompson River Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »

Thanks Chris, great video

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »

wait...so does the test fisheries actually keep the fish? i thought it was just a seine to see whats coming through them they let them go

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »

Wow is that ever sad, 850 fish from 20,000! I wonder why they aren't there, could we say mismanagement, netting netting netting netting. In my opinion a hatchery program may bring the numbers up a bit, but as long as the nets are being set, by by steelhead.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

Wow is that ever sad, 850 fish from 20,000!

I believe a predicted 850 is the magic number for a rec catch/release opening and its only been open once in the last three years. Last year was an estimated 500 spawners.  :'(

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »

Thanks Chris for taking the time to present this video of such a passionate person and knowlegible Steve Rice.2 persons who really give a sh$t about the T.Great work!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »

Wow is that ever sad, 850 fish from 20,000! I wonder why they aren't there, could we say mismanagement, netting netting netting netting. In my opinion a hatchery program may bring the numbers up a bit, but as long as the nets are being set, by by steelhead.

ya netting netting netting!!!!! outrage over the odd fish killed by rec fishers but can you imagine how many fish are killed as a result of gill nets! One of my buddies dad works with a native guy who nets the fraser.....this year he has caught 5 Thompson fish in his nets, one of which he retained and ate!! Freaking ridiculous!

therise

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »

I am glad that local economy was brought up. Fisherman have a strong voice, but it often takes a full community to push provincial governments to make changes

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »

--this is a dilemma... I do not believe anyone wants to replace wild fish with hatchery stock..but this decline has been long an painful.
--our fishing club endorsed the idea of  a short term hatchery to help with the recovery and reinstatement of the recreational fishery.
--We have conditions... we want all research to continue with an emphasis on wild fish recovery.. including habitat, water temp,volume and quality in feeder stream such as deadman creek and others known to produce good numbers of fish in the past.

--I do not want to see a put and take hatchery attitude develop with a long term hatchery at spences bridge. Why not have the hatchery run for three years then stop. We expect fish populations to cycle so why when we put in a hatchery to we have to put in the same number of fish each year.
--Enhanced protected spawn bed to ensure high % of natural survival
--Be aware there are some clubs that are fighting against the use of a hatchery... I say to them tell me your plan for recovery that will work and I'm all for it.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »

Sometimes hatcheries can just lead to fish that directly compete with wild fish. So I can see why people would be against them on some rivers. the fisheries has also taken an approach to leave some rivers wild only, no hatcheries, and catch and release. I think a lot of us feel like The government doesnt invest enough into such a valuable resource that BC has.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:21:46 AM »

ya netting netting netting!!!!! outrage over the odd fish killed by rec fishers but can you imagine how many fish are killed as a result of gill nets! One of my buddies dad works with a native guy who nets the fraser.....this year he has caught 5 Thompson fish in his nets, one of which he retained and ate!! Freaking ridiculous!
And the other 4 he probally sold! Sickening.

quill

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »

I see the Albion chinook test fishery got one steelhead Sept. 12 and one in the chum test on the 17th.

Thanks for the video Chris. There is a world of difference between the federal government's response to the 1998 coho crisis and the on going Interior Fraser steelhead crisis. In '98 we had red and yellow zones, this year we have extended seine openings that will impact the steelhead even with mandatory brailing, revival boxes etc. There's just not the same level of concern.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:17:31 PM by quill »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »

Great video!
Sad to hear that an entire community is being devastated by disappearance of the Thompson steelhead.
With so many people and businesses affected, maybe the provincial government could be motivated to save the steelhead.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »

I am pessimistic about the future of the Thompson Steelhead.  The provincial government years ago could have stepped in to try and make a difference on this river. In my opinion, a hatchery should have been set up when the Steelhead run was showing signs of being in trouble and they would have had a much greater brood stock to draw from. At this  point, if there are only 500 fish left they should still step in, even though the gene pool, will be narrower to see if they can save this unique strain of trout.
However, it seems this government has its priorties all wrong when it comes to environmental concerns. They would rather see the Lower Mainland's garbage hauled off to places like Cache Creek and landfilled, than pump money into saving the Thompson River Steelhead, and the community of Spences Bridge.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »

I am delivering copies of the video to Steve today so he can send them to some people in government.

Fishing it like I do at this time of year I realize more and more what a beautiful river it its. Last night I got down to the Nickel Run with only a short time to fish. It did not take me long to get my 4 jacks, 2 red, 2 whites and I lost at least 8, I climbed down, fished and back up in 51 minutes, just as it started to get dark. Watching for bears too as the strong smell of the jacks could attract them. Talking about smell one can not beat the smell of the sage brush, the roar of this mighty river and the howl of the wind as one fishes.

I am glad I did fish for steelhead on the Thompson once a few years ago, with the Master, it may be the only time I could angle for steelhead on this river, glad I shot some video too. I remember I got 2 to the shore, one on my second cast and after Nick had fished the run too. ;D

Talking about fishing I better get out there for the last day of jack fishing for me in 2011 that is. Winter is coming too as fresh snow on the hills this morning, makes one think of steelhead especially on the Thompson as they will be entering the system too.

It is too bad the government and others have not and it seems will not to do more to save this once mighty game fish, on the mighty Thompson River.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:30:28 AM by chris gadsden »