Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blue Grouse, Opening Day  (Read 4377 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Blue Grouse, Opening Day
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:56 AM »

Opening day was a bit slow as only saw about 8 birds and only got one, should have had two others but shot poorly. ::)

On the second day only saw one bird but was very wild and did not get a shot. Talked to another hunter who was in a party of 4 and they only got 11 between them. Most likely the cool spring and then it was so hot most of the day during the opening the birds would not be moving much except in the morning and just before duck.

Changed location yesterday and managed to get two big blues and even made one of the better shots ever of a bird on the fly, maybe was just luck.  :-\ Saw only 3 in a 2 hour hunt and should have got the other but only got feathers.

All in all, 3 grouse and 8 jack springs from the Thompson River made it a good trip, hard to beat "Gold Country"

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Blue Grouse, Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:47 AM »

I've also heard that perhaps the cool wet spring affected the survival rate of the chicks. Maybe that's why you are not seeing as many grouse.

Still sounds like you have some good eats!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »

Second trip of the season saw me bag another 3 as ran into a covey. Also took 7 jack springs that are being made ready to be smoked.  Also saw a bear with 3 cubs, is that unusual to have 3? Will post the video later.

greese30

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »

took my son out hunting on opening day and he scored!!! with 4 grouse the first morning.  Fun stuff.  His first year with his license.  he was pretty pumped.  fun to remember my first successful hunting trip.  good memories.  now onto the deer and moose

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »

Nicely done,cannot beat being there with your son when he gets his first birds. ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »

Nice!!!

Still trying to find my first grouse ever   :P