Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crap! There Goes My Hunting Season...  (Read 3575 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Crap! There Goes My Hunting Season...
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »

Part of it anyway...  :(

For the past couple of weeks offshore, I have been constantly irritated by an ever expanding hernia just below my sternum. Guess that came about due to slinging a tad too many Biggies over the rail of the boat. Then, another began to form just above that, and the discomfort increased accordingly. Decided to finish the season out before heading in to have it checked over...

Jump forward to yesterday. Near 6 hours in the hospital. Met with Sawbones One about 2 hours into the wait. He looks, and sez You're going nowhere until the Surgeon has a boo... Ummm... OK.
3 hours and change go by...
Surgeon then has a boo, and says You've got a Problem. No Chit!  ::)

Now I'm scheduled for Emergency Surgery on Saturday. Due to the location (too close to the diaphragm) I am not a candidate for the new mesh procedure, so will have to run with the old slice and dice method. OUCH! Been there before, and it took 3 bloody months before I could do anything without pain. Double Dammit!!

So, for the early season at least, all hunting plans just wandered out the window. I have a handful of rather strong Buddies offering to help once I am somewhat mobile (obviously won't be able to pack much if anything out) and I am sincerely thankful for that. However my Alberta Run is once again in jeopardy. Missed last season, and REALLY don't want to miss this one! Seems The Fates are conspiring to keep me away. Triple Dammit!  :'(

Man do I EVER Hate this "Growing Old Gracefully" Crap!!!

Sadly,
Nog
Wondering just how long it will be before I need a motorized wheelchair simply to get out there?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Crap! There Goes My Hunting Season...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:30:34 AM »

Thanks for the Well Wishes FA, Appreciated!

Well, only a few hours left before I wander over there. Guess I am feeling a tad nervous alright. Even though I well understand this ain't all that complicated a procedure, anytime I contemplate LETTING anyone run a blade into me tends to make my hair stand on end!  :o
Hoping all goes as it should...

Living vicariously has already started it seems. Woke this morning to a call from Ma & Pa. Ma took a most excellent Boone & Crockett (80+ inches!) antelope in Wyoming this morning before I even staggered from the rack! Awesome! Even more awesome this Lady is in her mid-seventies, and still doing exactly whatever she desires! Bodes well for my own longevity should I manage to make it through these little curves life tends to throw at me from time to time! Congrats Ma! Wish I had been there to share!!  ;)

So, off I go. I'll try and get back with a report as I can. May be a day or two as I suspect I won't be much in the way of conversation for a little while...

Tight Lines & Straight Shooting Folks!!

Catch ya'll on the flipside...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »

Temporary Reprieve!

Surgeon otherwise engaged when I arrived, so he scheduled a whole battery of tests. Near 3 hours worth. Heart, Lungs, Liver, Kidneys and Pancreas all in "Excellent" shape! Except for the hernias, "Body of a man near half your age" was the word! Who would have figured?  ;D

Great News!!

The not so great:
Now on a series of medications over the next few days. Revisit surgery sometime later in the month. Supposed to "take it easy" (and Oh will I EVER!) for the next little while. Pain GONE from the meds! Ahhhhhhhh....  ;D

I realize it is simply putting off the inevitable, but the part of me that shudders at the knife is happy! Of course the worrying part of me wonders where we go from here, but for now... Perhaps time to get out and hunt a little (with a strong Buddy in tow) before I have to face the issue down for good.

Relieved!
Nog

cohojoe

better now than a few months before salmon season next year
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

Better now than  a few months before fishing season next year.    That is the strategy I took with my  retina  detachment  surgery.     I  thought it would be  a  two month recovery and then  rehab.    Haa.     It has  been  4 months in recovery and  now  the rehab in the  5th month.     Desires of a man half my age but  the body of a  60 year old.       The good news  is  I am almost ready for  Salmon in the rivers now.     Went out  at  UKEE  last week and  fly fished  most of the day in the  streams plus  packing a canoe with gear and  was  OK.      Hoo Ray.    I am back  as the Terminator once said.    I hope  it goes well for you.    Take it  easy after the surgery.      Then  slowly  do the rehab faithfully.     Do not miss a  day  of  rehab.    A  week missed re hab  will  weaken you  .   Good  luck