Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 97001 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Water was perfect up top when I left at 11am.  Fishing was slow.  Managed 2 jack coho and lost something else of decent size and chrome.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

colin6101

Wow I had the complete opposite day. I managed to hook into well over twenty pinks between 7 and 11 this morning fly fishing the canal section. Some very chrome pinks still moving through. Also managed to catch and release a 7-8 pound wild coho (first of the season for me!).

silver ghost

• Old Timer

i dont know what im doing wrong. mind you when i fished the canal i only saw a handful of fish between the 20 or so guys there who WERENT flossing in 5 hours. the glossers/betty bandits caught and retained a few purply green pinks, i laughed when I was told "they're for the smoker"

ahahahah

Sterling C

• Old Timer

i dont know what im doing wrong. mind you when i fished the canal i only saw a handful of fish between the 20 or so guys there who WERENT flossing in 5 hours. the glossers/betty bandits caught and retained a few purply green pinks, i laughed when I was told "they're for the smoker"

ahahahah

You're not doing anything wrong. Thats the reality of catching biting fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

ihatefisheadsoup

I will be heading up to the Vedder on Sunday morning hopefully I dont see any snaggers around me ;)

masta

Great day today (sunny) but fishing was terrible. Was out in the am and left at noon. Pinks don't seem to bite anything. Tried 5 different lures, wool and even roe they just seem to snub it even it was in front of them  :(. Have not seen one fish landed on the time i was there and there were about more than a dozen people fishin.  Pnks were done i think.

I caught/land/released 5 pinks on a marabou jig in the late afternoon yesterday in about an hour in mid canal.  3 of them were still very clean--could have kept it for smoking.

DanL

• Old Timer

Perhaps someone can speak as to the what the river is like in the canal section with respect to depth and flow.  Is it suitable for float fishing, or it better to hit it with spoons/spinners? I’ve haven’t had a chance to try for some pinks on the fly this year, but maybe the canal is good fly water?

I’ve fished  all up and down the vedder over the years but never the canal. Whenever I drive over it on the highway, it always looks to be very shallow and just doesn’t seem particularly ‘fishy’.

RiverRunner

I will be heading up to the Vedder on Sunday morning hopefully I dont see any snaggers around me ;)

I hope you released that 'dirty' spring

paul1971

Thats the elusive green spring. ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer

To answer the question about the canal, yes it does hold fish. The fish use it as the means of travelling from the Fraser to the lower/upper parts of the Vedder River.  When you casually glance at the canal,  it does look shallow but there are some deep sections in it. Therefore you will see all different methods of fishing be it using spoons, spinners, short floating, fly fishing ....and yes flossing and snagging. I fished the canal today and the water has great visibility and color to it. Right now there are loads of pinks in there, some coho and the odd spring. Take along a pair of polarized glasses and I am sure you will be amazed at the number of fish you will see and the travel path they take.  Be aware of the snags  and the wood in the canal as that can make wading a bit challenging and right now the clay on the banks is real slippery so be careful or you will take a tumble into the river.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:37:51 PM by dennyman »

newb33

Fished somewhere between the boundary and the crossing I'm floating for coho and I can't even reel in without snagging pinks reeled 7 in all nasty and gross so I don't know where your getting your clean links from. Question though do they really get that nasty from swimmin. From the canal to say tamahi cause up here there gross

dennyman

• Old Timer

Yes the pinks do get beat up as they make their way up river to those places so that they can spawn and then die.

DanL

• Old Timer

Thanks for the reply about the canal section. Going to try and get out this weekend to explore the canal and see if I cant get into something on the fly. I've only got a 6wt and definitely want to try and get some flyfishing in before the chum get too thick.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

To answer the question about the canal, yes it does hold fish. The fish use it as the means of travelling from the Fraser to the lower/upper parts of the Vedder River.  When you casually glance at the canal,  it does look shallow but there are some deep sections in it. Therefore you will see all different methods of fishing be it using spoons, spinners, short floating, fly fishing ....and yes flossing and snagging. I fished the canal today and the water has great visibility and color to it. Right now there are loads of pinks in there, some coho and the odd spring. Take along a pair of polarized glasses and I am sure you will be amazed at the number of fish you will see and the travel path they take.  Be aware of the snags  and the wood in the canal as that can make wading a bit challenging and right now the clay on the banks is real slippery so be careful or you will take a tumble into the river.
I have to back up what Dennyman says about the canal. I was fishing there on Thursday and the water level is still a littled high from Mondays rain, from just above the knees to belly deep. The sand shifts all along the bottom and you sink in at some sandy areas. You definitely need polarized glasses to see all the branches and stuff that are semi buried and sticking up in the sand. I almost did a swan dive when I tripped on a branch I didn't see when the wind made the water all ripply.
As for fishing, the fish I saw were on the move and not holding in the runs due to the higher flow. The runs are not that deep are fished from the bank and at river level making "gong show " conditions. I recommend you move further down to get yourself some quality water and away from the crowds. I didn't see any cohos show themselves but I did hook a 14-16" coho jack on a spinner in the shallow type water.

I got down to the golf course area then called it quits because I found the water too deep for me.
It ain't the roe bro'

fic

• Old Timer

I have to back up what Dennyman says about the canal. I was fishing there on Thursday and the water level is still a littled high from Mondays rain, from just above the knees to belly deep. The sand shifts all along the bottom and you sink in at some sandy areas. You definitely need polarized glasses to see all the branches and stuff that are semi buried and sticking up in the sand. I almost did a swan dive when I tripped on a branch I didn't see when the wind made the water all ripply.
As for fishing, the fish I saw were on the move and not holding in the runs due to the higher flow. The runs are not that deep are fished from the bank and at river level making "gong show " conditions. I recommend you move further down to get yourself some quality water and away from the crowds. I didn't see any cohos show themselves but I did hook a 14-16" coho jack on a spinner in the shallow type water.

I got down to the golf course area then called it quits because I found the water too deep for me.
I drove by this gong show today.  About 30 cars parked at the KWB.  Visability in the mid to upper river was pretty good.  At least 4 feet.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19