Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 96982 times)

mzmann

i cant believe its this time of year again. it seems like yesterday rodney posted this last year. good information, but every year i have to look at that craple leaf hat lol.

I'll be there for about a week in mid Oct and im thinking I will be wearing my leafs hat there as well now just because of that statement.....LEAFS FANS UNITE!!  ;D ;D ;D

Wishin I was fishin!! :)

clarki

• Old Timer

What does this remark...
Enough with the stupid pinks already. Im glad they come only every two years. Come on coho!

Have to do with fisheries conservation ???

Great attitude. You are an inspiration to all newcomers. Im sure with comments like that you will ensure the future of fisheries conservation.

I agree with Fin. I fill my boots with pinkies in the Fraser, but when I fish the Chilliwack (and other tribs) they are not my target species and are a nuisance.  

anorden

What does this remark...
Have to do with fisheries conservation ???

Pinks are very important for nutrient cycling (among other things). If the hatcheries didnt enhance the pink stocks then there would be less nutrients in the river for the coho fry that one day come back to the river for people like you to catch. So in the grand scheme of things pinks have quite a lot to do with conservation. Pinks werent put on this earth to annoy people like you, nor are they stupid, they serve an important ecological function. Yes I agree they might not be everyones target species but calling them stupid and a nuisance is both ignorant and childish.

searun17

• Old Timer

yes pinks are good for nutrients as are all other species,but pinks and chum are cheaper for the hatcheries to produce ,hence the reduction on coho production,all the dfo cares about is a fishery were fish are plentiful ,ie pinks and chums ,easy to catch at a low cost,if this keeps up soon there will be very few hatchery coho for the people that like to take one home.better get used to fishing for pinks because soon thats all there will be.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

yes pinks are good for nutrients as are all other species,but pinks and chum are cheaper for the hatcheries to produce ,hence the reduction on coho production,all the dfo cares about is a fishery were fish are plentiful ,ie pinks and chums ,easy to catch at a low cost,if this keeps up soon there will be very few hatchery coho for the people that like to take one home.better get used to fishing for pinks because soon thats all there will be.

How come theres a yearly limit of one chum on the Vedder compared to 4 coho? Also why was chum closed on the Vedder last year, what was the reason behind it?
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

How come theres a yearly limit of one chum on the Vedder compared to 4 coho? Also why was chum closed on the Vedder last year, what was the reason behind it?

You mean a daily limit not yearly limit

nickredway

• Old Timer

Because the run was sh1t?

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

Because the run was sh1t?

hhhm... or was it jimmy's fleet scooped them all off the coast before it was to late  ??? just sayin !

clarki

• Old Timer

Yes I agree they might not be everyones target species but calling them stupid and a nuisance is both ignorant and childish.
Yeah, well you are a poo poo head.  ;D  So there! Last word!

Oilcruzer

Water crystal clear.  Many pinks. No silver streaks yet.  Just about busted a vein in my forehead watching the worst case of snagging by two people, perhaps in history.  Throw the line and rip back as hard as you can, even though there was no take on their line prompting a set.    After watching about 20 poor humpies take them in the noggin, fin, gills, body, tails, and when it was clear these guys didn't get it, I left before I snapped.

Still ticked.

mzmann

Water crystal clear.  Many pinks. No silver streaks yet.  Just about busted a vein in my forehead watching the worst case of snagging by two people, perhaps in history.  Throw the line and rip back as hard as you can, even though there was no take on their line prompting a set.    After watching about 20 poor humpies take them in the noggin, fin, gills, body, tails, and when it was clear these guys didn't get it, I left before I snapped.

Still ticked.

yeah, by yourself it was probably smarter not to say anything but on the same note I think I would have had to make a "call", especially watching them intentionally foul hook so many! Would have been very simple for dfo to nab them in that case.....if they were able to make it out there in time...or at all even....still would have been worth the call i think though.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

roseph

if that was by the train bridge someone did call.  I stopped by to have a look and spoke with 3 CO's checking licenses.  They mentioned that someone called to report someone snagging and retaining about 30 pinks.  Unfortunately it looked like the CO's were a bit late but they did respond and were canvassing for info/descriptions.

SockeyeJunkie

• Where's the steelhead sherpa?
First Vedder Coho of the season for me
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »

Friday night I was mid river fishing for pinks to get some fresh roe and lucky me..........a nice, fresh Coho!!!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/turbocode/Coho2.jpg

Oilcruzer

Re: First Vedder Coho of the season for me
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:27 AM »

Friday night I was mid river fishing for pinks to get some fresh roe and lucky me..........a nice, fresh Coho!!!

Oh, oh.  That's a Bull Trout.

J/k. Nice, just starting to red near the back of the bellyfat  Did you turn the head in?
Do you have another pic that shows people what to look for?  I.e. No adipose, spots top half tail?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:47:29 AM by Oilcruzer »

Oilcruzer

yeah, by yourself it was probably smarter not to say anything but on the same note I think I would have had to make a "call", especially watching them intentionally foul hook so many! Would have been very simple for dfo to nab them in that case.....if they were able to make it out there in time...or at all even....still would have been worth the call i think though.
Yep, there were a ton of reasons this time why calling wasn't an option. 

This might help. One young and one middle-aged , with longer, but not to the shoulders,  almost yellow blonde straight hair, no hats, dressed in black, chain smoking males. 

Two nice center pinning kids around 16 yrs old also saw this.  They were ticked too.

Someone will see them.