Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser Let Down.....Glad I live in Chilliwack  (Read 23765 times)

jacked55

Re: Lower Fraser Let Down.....Glad I live in Chilliwack
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »

You are forgetting that the Wack now has a super Wal-mart and allegedly an Ikea coming to down. Cant mess with that can you?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »

You are forgetting that the Wack now has a super Wal-mart and allegedly an Ikea coming to down. Cant mess with that can you?

wooohoooo!!! IKEAAAAA... talk about going metrofrigginpolitan... wooptydooo.   bwhahahahahah :D ;D :D ;D :D

greese30

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »

stop trying to convince Chilliwack is so awesome... the less here the better.  I live right along the river and population frustrates me to no end as my boys whom are just learning how to fish and cast are regularly glared at and scoffed by all the "awesome" fishermen around us.  kids gotta learn sometime, why not on their home river?  I wish there was more understanding of kids abilities and learning on the river.  Especially if you walk into our hole (one where we arrived before you).

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »

The town is growing too fast as alot of city dwellars sell their million dollar homes and move out to the affordable valley. Take a look at Promontory,thats just disgusting the development that has gone on there. Older homes in my neighborhood of Sardis get knocked down and replaced with condos. >:(

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

I've been reading report after report from guys on this site living by and fishing the Tidal Fraser for Sockeye and Pinks.....and after reading them...I am reminded how much I enjoy living in Chilliwack.
The lower Fraser day after day is the most unreliable spotty flow I could imagine fishing if I was looking for dinner.

I've been catching chrome pinks regularily as far upstream as Hope since Aug 19th while the majority of the guys here fishing the lower river are getting skunked. Sometimes 5 or more pinks in an hour....plus some sockeye to boot.
Any day now that will change to 40-60 fish days....with multiple hook ups on the fly rod to boot.

Anyways....not to rub it in, but I feel for you poor saps who live in Vancouver and only option after work is to fish the Tidal Fraser. There are a 1000 other reasons why I'd never live in the city as well...but I'll save those for another topic...as for today.....the crappy fishing you guys have in comparison to 60 minutes upstream says all that needs to be said. ;D

Are you trying to make some kind of a point?

rickjames_2

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »

I would have to agree that it is disappointing to see the urban sprawl Chilliwack has become. growing to fast for it's own good. the new overpass has single handedly ruined whatever peace and quiet we had at my house. in regards to sardis, they are just goin high density everywhere, which is suppossedly harmful to the sardis aquifer. promonotry has gotten out of control, the back side loooks like it could fall into the vedder lol...

But in regards to growth, because we can't particularly stop people from moving here, where do we build? no one wants ALR land to come off. people don't want to build on the hillsides. oh and to boot no one want appartment buildings and density housing outside of downtown. we gotta give somehwere... it's an important question for those who live in chilliwack the next few years...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 01:14:37 AM »

There was a time here in Richmond where as a boy, i fished the ditches of No. 3 Rd for carp and catfish...Traffic didn't exist and i could chase pheasants off our school fields...Houses on 1/4 acre lots sold for less than $100,000

unfortunately, with progress comes the woes of population growth and inflation...Chilliwack is well on it's way.

purplehelmet

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 05:05:34 AM »

Chilliwack smells like poo...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

purplehelmet

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 05:08:53 AM »

So do my waders...  sometimes...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

ricer

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »

good corn in chilliwack but i just pick it up on my drive through...

drock31

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 07:58:41 AM »

Unfortunately for those of us with jobs, kids, families and other priorities in life there are other factors that determine where we live. I don't feel like spending 2 hours each way commuting to work just so I can travel 5 min to fish the 1 or 2 days a week I fish.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »

Don't work in the city bro! Sucks to be you eh! Ha ha ha

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »

Besides, yogurt has more culture than the Wack does. ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »

Living in smog is such a benefit LOL

Their are places you like to visit and their are places you want to live. Chilliwack is not one place I would want to live.

I live in Maple Ridge up on a huge hill, have a spectacular view from my front window, lots of good fishing opportunities right here without having to go to the Vedder ( although I do go from time to time )  no smog, or the terrible smell of the farms.

I can be on the Vedder within 30 minutes, I can be downtown in 40 minutes. Best of all worlds.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

alpineangler

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »

20 m to border.  5 m crossings.
35 m to YXX and in and out in a flash
0 - 30 m to Amazing fishing, no crowds if you know your stuff.
Real houses, with land, under 500k
4 Great skiing areas in around 45 m to an hour.
Fantastic staging if you tour motorcycles or hunt.
20 m to Costco.
Fresh fruit and vegetables and dairy, right off the farm often on the honour system.
No traffic.
No bridges.
No tolls.
Just don't live north of Hwy 1 in the town.  (then again, every city has places that are less desirable.)
I live just outside of the City.

And when I need my fill of the arts, in an hour I am strolling Vancouver.  Most everyone else needs in GVA needs at least 30 m to get to the Vancouver Art Gallery as an example.  The offset of a 30 m added commute is well worth what I would give up, to live a little closer.

Quality of life boys. 
Gold.

The truth about the wack, from a 3rd generation ex-wacker who now lives on the North Shore.

20 minutes to Sumas?  Sure if there's no accident on the freeway or whiteout in the winter.  And then, no fictional 5-minute wait to shopping at Bromley's for discount cheeze.  Wow.  1 hour past that to Bellingham.  Whoop-de-do!

35 minutes to Abbostford airport?  Awesome, I can fly to such exotic desitinations as Grande Prairie Alberta, for $800 round trip in no time!

0-30 seconds to get to your favorite "secret" fishing bar at 4 am before 0-300 people show up and combat fish, throw rocks, drink, smoke dope, smoke, snag, cut lines, leave trash and start fist fights during any big run.

Identical, carboard cutout houses with no trees, slammed next to each other, with postage stamp yards, for 500-700 grand.  Sorry chum, but I'd rather pay the $1.2 M for my well-treed digs on the North Shore.  I don't know about you, but I am happy to pay a premium to live in a place with the ocean, mountains, fresh air, easy access to the island, the best traffic in the LM, easy access to Squamish, Whistle, etc.  I drive 10 mins max to the rivers I fish, and launch my boat in the OCEAN at the drop of a hat.  As for the Cap, there's probably more combat fishers on one bank on the Chedder than all anglers combined on the entire Cap on any given day.  You just got to be able to hike and work it, it's not a river that suits lazy fishers well.  

4 great skiing areas in 45 minutes?  Ok, if you gun your F150 at 130 KMPH in the whiteout, through treacherous mountain roads, you might reach the entirely forgettable Manning Park area in 1.5 hours.  If you live in the "real world" and are governed by the laws of time and space, you might make it Baker in about the same time.

Fantastic staging for your dirt bike or hunting?  Sure I guess, but its no better than heading north on the 99.  No opportunities for "good" hiking trails, quality, built-up mountain biking trails, etc.  The roads are soft and lend well to bloated guys on Harleys who can't corner, if that's your thing.  Lame.

20 minutes to Costco?  Wow, I just can't make it through my day without a 100 lot pack of frozen cinnamon buns.  Vancouver...umm...it "has" Costco, and everything else for that matter, if selection is your thing.  

I dunno about you but I tend to eat fruit and vegetables year round and the gourmet and organic grocery stores in the city have 'em all the time, not just the few weeks when they're in season.  I suppose I can drive 5 minutes to buy all the Wack produce from the Squamish FN sellers who retrieve it from as far away as the Okanagan, at a fraction of the price I paid on the farm in the Wack.  

The worst traffic jams I've ever seen in the lower mainland are around Abbotsford / Wack.  Sometimes stuck on the highway for hours before you can even make it to a dead end turn off.  

Bridges everywhere crossing small rivers, which are everywhere, which cause shoke points that can make whole areas impasable if there's an accident.  Large bridges to anywhere civilized.  There's a reason why we only know folks from the Wack on the internet.  They don't dare attempt the day-long approach to civilization often.  

Tolls to get to the north side of the Valley on the GE bridge...no one in Vancouver pays those.  Hell, they don't even know where it is!

Yes, I made it to Vancouver in 1 hour, one time.  At 3:15 am on a wednesday, 25 degrees in August, 5 years ago, gunning the truck the whole way.  I made it from my house to Boundary Road (what a victory!) in an hour.  Anything other than that is pure fantasy.  

Let's not forget the ever-pervasive stench of manure and compost associted with all the agriculture, and of course, the WORST air quality index in the province, so bad that seniors and those with respiratory problems are forced to stay indoors when a dome of hot, stifling brown air sets up over the Valley.  Ahhh!  The beautful Wack outdoors!

Quality of live boys, some people are willing to pay for it, others are willing to waste their time living in in discount locales like the Wack becuase they can't afford anything else.

AA