Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser Let Down.....Glad I live in Chilliwack  (Read 23779 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser Let Down.....Glad I live in Chilliwack
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »

Chilliwack- isn't that where beaks go ?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »

I've been reading report after report from guys on this site living by and fishing the Tidal Fraser for Sockeye and Pinks.....and after reading them...I am reminded how much I enjoy living in Chilliwack.
The lower Fraser day after day is the most unreliable spotty flow I could imagine fishing if I was looking for dinner.

I've been catching chrome pinks regularily as far upstream as Hope since Aug 19th while the majority of the guys here fishing the lower river are getting skunked. Sometimes 5 or more pinks in an hour....plus some sockeye to boot.
Any day now that will change to 40-60 fish days....with multiple hook ups on the fly rod to boot.

Anyways....not to rub it in, but I feel for you poor saps who live in Vancouver and only option after work is to fish the Tidal Fraser. There are a 1000 other reasons why I'd never live in the city as well...but I'll save those for another topic...as for today.....the crappy fishing you guys have in comparison to 60 minutes upstream says all that needs to be said. ;D

flossing is not fishing dont confuse the two

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »

I've been reading report after report from guys on this site living by and fishing the Tidal Fraser for Sockeye and Pinks.....and after reading them...I am reminded how much I enjoy living in Chilliwack.
The lower Fraser day after day is the most unreliable spotty flow I could imagine fishing if I was looking for dinner.

I've been catching chrome pinks regularily as far upstream as Hope since Aug 19th while the majority of the guys here fishing the lower river are getting skunked. Sometimes 5 or more pinks in an hour....plus some sockeye to boot.
Any day now that will change to 40-60 fish days....with multiple hook ups on the fly rod to boot.

Anyways....not to rub it in, but I feel for you poor saps who live in Vancouver and only option after work is to fish the Tidal Fraser. There are a 1000 other reasons why I'd never live in the city as well...but I'll save those for another topic...as for today.....the crappy fishing you guys have in comparison to 60 minutes upstream says all that needs to be said. ;D

I understand your position, and envy you in some ways.  However, we have better access to the Squamish system and local beaches which are within 60 minutes from Vancouver.  Heck - even the Cap can produce well for coho if you time it correctly.  I've had some of my best days on these systems, and the flyfishing has been excellent this year since late July/early August.  It's winding down now... ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »

Yep, good ol' Chilliwack...

I prefer Vancouver, mainly because I prefer my women with teeth and my city with an arts scene that goes beyond the grade three classroom.  ;)

Chilliwack is nice to visit (and fish in), but you couldn't PAY me to live there at this stage in my life.

To each their own though.
:D
Tex

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »

I prefer Vancouver, mainly because I prefer my women with teeth and my city with an arts scene that goes beyond the grade three classroom.  ;)

Chilliwack is nice to visit (and fish in), but you couldn't PAY me to live there at this stage in my life.

Tex

HAHAHA!!! you just made my day buddy. couldn't agree with you more.

one more cast

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »

Tex

Love it...cheers for sayin:)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 02:05:09 AM »

Everyone take a deep breath now.
OK,maybe not so much if your out in Chilliwack. :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »

Nothing in Richmond, everybody go to Chilliwack this long weekend please. ;D
I am leaving it behind this weekend and going to where the air is cleaner and the fish bite. :o ;D ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »

If fishing is the only thing you have to brag about....maybe you need to show a little humility.

azafai

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »

if I win in 6-49 I will build a mansion in Chilliwack and think only fishing.
other than that Chilliwack is a good place to visit once or twice a week and do some fishing. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »

40-60 fish per day? that's it?....when i fish up there i catch a minimum of 80-100 and that's just using red wool!

Oilcruzer

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »

20 m to border.  5 m crossings.
35 m to YXX and in and out in a flash
0 - 30 m to Amazing fishing, no crowds if you know your stuff.
Real houses, with land, under 500k
4 Great skiing areas in around 45 m to an hour.
Fantastic staging if you tour motorcycles or hunt.
20 m to Costco.
Fresh fruit and vegetables and dairy, right off the farm often on the honour system.
No traffic.
No bridges.
No tolls.
Just don't live north of Hwy 1 in the town.  (then again, every city has places that are less desirable.)
I live just outside of the City.

And when I need my fill of the arts, in an hour I am strolling Vancouver.  Most everyone else needs in GVA needs at least 30 m to get to the Vancouver Art Gallery as an example.  The offset of a 30 m added commute is well worth what I would give up, to live a little closer.

Quality of life boys. 
Gold.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »

I grew up in Surrey which back in the day was a great place to live. Fishing Brownsville for coho,Serpentine,Bear creek for cuththroat. Not so much anymore,I get stressed out driving there now to visit my folks with all the construction and traffic. Im close to the Fraser,Vedder and local lakes which is awesome.Yes it stinks here when the farmers spread manure on the fields, but is the only thing here that I dont like! Tight lines.

fish.on

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »

To bad this cant explain the cost of buying a house in Vancouver...

rickjames_2

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »

The city of chilliwack is a hole. The outskirts( greendale,yarrow,ryder lake, rosedale)  are nice but downtown isnt. Im sure that no matter where you live youre gonna say your home river is badass , which probably is true if you are a local that knows when and where to go.

Downtown has it's challenges but really, Vancouver is one to talk with the downtown eastside??? talk about holes and people without teeth... i wasn't born in chilliwack but it fits me perfectly... rivers, lakes, mountains, i'm close to the university for school, if i want i can get to the cariboo real quick, and likewise i can get to van for sports and arts(nucks, caps, fringe fest concerts, yada, yada,). and ya, when the crowds disappear the Cheddar is badass...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.