Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rod building  (Read 10844 times)

sawsdoc

rod building
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »

Hello everyone

Have been thinking about building a rod for awhile now. I think I would enjoy it... wondering if anyone knows of a course somewhere. Any info would be muchly appreciated!

Wayne

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: rod building
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »

reaction outdoorss has run courses in the past, maybe contact them
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

sawsdoc

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »

thanks for your help!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »

Check out our latest advertiser on the website Valley Custom Rods in Chilliwack. They supply rod blanks and components, and the owner Mark seems pretty keen on showing people how to build them so maybe he has something similar offered.

therise

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »

For my first attempt I just purchased a cheap mooching blank and all the basic necessities online. It cost about $50 total. I used a couple different online tutorials. It is not a thing of beauty compared to some I have seen, but practice makes perfect. If you decide to make the first attempt without classes, I  would recommend a cheap practice rod.

RossP

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

I'll second Valley Custom Rods. Mark is a great guy.
Just picked up supplies from him yesterday to build my
third rod. Came away very happy with the pricing
and service.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the kind words and yes I am always willing to help a new rod builder. Please call me anytime and lets get you going.
Good fishing!!
Regards, 
Mark

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the kind words and yes I am always willing to help a new rod builder. Please call me anytime and lets get you going.
Good fishing!!
Regards, 
Mark

Hi Mark,

I  just wanted to inquire about the equipment needed and start-up costs to get me going. From the website i see the wrapping and drying stations from $30.95 going up to $329.95 and was wondering which of these equipments I'll be needing to start? As well, I know I'll need the threads and finishing agents so if possible would you be able to give me a ball park figure on costs without Blank, guides and reel seat. Perhaps a checklist would be great.
  Been thinking of making a trout rod(casting) from a 9 foot four piece fly blank and have been procrastinating on my first rod build. Thanks for all the information!

Mike
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

Hi Mark,

I  just wanted to inquire about the equipment needed and start-up costs to get me going. From the website i see the wrapping and drying stations from $30.95 going up to $329.95 and was wondering which of these equipments I'll be needing to start? As well, I know I'll need the threads and finishing agents so if possible would you be able to give me a ball park figure on costs without Blank, guides and reel seat. Perhaps a checklist would be great.
  Been thinking of making a trout rod(casting) from a 9 foot four piece fly blank and have been procrastinating on my first rod build. Thanks for all the information!

Mike

Hi Mike,
You do not need to break the bank when getting started at all. I don't think the $329.95 power wrapper is the way to go until you are sure this is the hobby for you. I know when I started out I did all my wrapping by hand but must say I would have loved one of the $30.95 hand wrappers they do make life much easier. I have had customers make very nice ones on there own but I am not that great with the wood working tools so I think the $30.95 is the way I would go. The next thing is the ability to slow turn the rods when applying the thread coating. Turning it by hand for hours on End is just not an option although I did this one time when I just started building and never did that again. You can buy a drier for $59.95 and up but once again lots of customers make there own with things like a BBQ rotisserie or purchase a 8 to 24 rpm motor and build one from that. Other than that you need coating with brushs, mixing cups, syringes will run about $11.00 and up but this would do several rods. Epoxy for glueing cork rings and handles another $10.00 and up but once again that does several builds. The rest is masking tape, razor blades, hot glue stick, measuring tape and your building. With the wrapper, drier, coating, threads, few small tools should be $125.00 or less and the biggest cost is the drier and wrapper. Take a look at the starter videos on the front of my website www.valleycustomrods.com they really go over this topic very well. The one limitation you will have is not building custom handles for this you will need some type of lathe. I have seen then built from drills all the way up to a pro lathe set up. Not the end of the world because you can purchase very nice pre made handle kits that are very well priced these days and look fantastic. They come in all shapes and sizes and cost far less than building your own. For me building a custom handle is the best part of the job so the day will come that this will be a step you might want to take. If you would like to email me with you email address I can give you a proper estimate on a start up kit. I hope this helps and do not hesitate to contact me if you need further info. Of course once you have been bitten by the rod building bug this will soon get more costly and you will be on the hook to do all your fishing buddy's rod repairs.
Regards,
Mark
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:28:22 PM by Valley Custom Rods »

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll need to do more research before delving into this rod building hobby and perhaps picking up a few books or DVD's on this topic. Eventually, I want to start building a four piece spinning rod made from a four-piece fly rod blank as they are easier to pack and store in luggage for travel. I don't mind starting with inexpensive materials on the first few rods until I feel comfortable with tying in the guides, placing and securing reel seats and cork as well as finishing. Perhaps, I'll make appointment with you to visit your Valley Custom Shop to check out products and maybe see some of your work.
  I have a feeling if I start with rod building I'll be addicted to it! I don't mind taking my time behind a bench. For now, I'll shoot you a email through your website and give you a heads up when I'll be able to visit. Thanks for your time, Mark!

Mike SL
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll need to do more research before delving into this rod building hobby and perhaps picking up a few books or DVD's on this topic. Eventually, I want to start building a four piece spinning rod made from a four-piece fly rod blank as they are easier to pack and store in luggage for travel. I don't mind starting with inexpensive materials on the first few rods until I feel comfortable with tying in the guides, placing and securing reel seats and cork as well as finishing. Perhaps, I'll make appointment with you to visit your Valley Custom Shop to check out products and maybe see some of your work.
  I have a feeling if I start with rod building I'll be addicted to it! I don't mind taking my time behind a bench. For now, I'll shoot you a email through your website and give you a heads up when I'll be able to visit. Thanks for your time, Mark!

Mike SL [quote author=lyekim76 link=topic=

You bet Mike anytime, before spending a bunch of money on DVDs and books do a little on line checking. I think you will find there is a ton of great info out there for free. I would be happy to help you fill in the information gaps if you like. And your right it's hard just to build one, a lot of fun and pride in crafting a instument to do a sport we love. Catching your first fish on a rod you hand crafted is also fantastic, much like fly tying.
Regards,
Mark
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:07:12 PM by Valley Custom Rods »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

Hi Mark,

Mike SL
You won't be sorry!  Mark is a great guy, his service is awesome and he has a wack of components on hand in his shop. Local rod builders love this guy ;)