Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snapped flyrod can it be fixed?  (Read 3046 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
snapped flyrod can it be fixed?
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »

well i snapped a flyrod i snapped the tip section of the rod right in half. and im wondering if you can get a joint put in to make it a 3 piece rod. because i would hate to throw it away as it was a great rod to cast and got it as a birthday present. Thanks and its a 2 piece.. well now 3 :(
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: snapped flyrod can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:44:51 AM »

You can put a "sleeve"on it. Unfortunately it won't have the same action.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:39:22 AM »

what company is the rod from ?

almost every single fly rod maker has some kind of warranty system in place. Never go the "sleeve" route as it just makes a new place for the rod to snap because it will never flex properly where the sleeve is. better off buying a replacement rod which you can use as a backup when your busted one gets back (backups are usually of the cheaper variety)

HOOK - thinks its very smart to have a backup to your salmon rod anyways because salmon are big and can bust up gear pretty easily
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:22 AM »

it was a 6wt amundonson extra. I dont think it has warrenty but that would be nice, and the sleeve i probly wont bother if it takes out alot of action. And i already bought a new 6wt on saturday when it broke and its a better rod. Gotta hate breaking your rod an hour into a week trip lol. Oh well my new rods alot better and handles big fish as i got a 12 lb summer steelhead fishing pinks
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

Good to hear you hooked into that nice Steelhead. However, remember what Hook said, when targeting the larger fish you are going to push that fly rod to its upper limits. Eventually something has to give and it breaks. May want to move up to a seven or eight weight for the pinks and coho,  and a nine or 10 weight for the chum and springs. My two cents worth.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »

Amundson does have a warranty on their rods, usually a $25 fee and your good to go. They are located in Burnaby and if you go to their warehouse you can get it right away. They will deliver for a fee.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »

Good idea geff ill do that and go to their warehouse. And i have a 7 wt also and a 8wt and a 10wt for the springers.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

... i got a 12 lb summer steelhead fishing pinks

I still remember the one I got a couple of years ago at the Seymour mouth while fishing for pink.  Those are memories to last a life time.
Not all those who wander are lost