Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly techniques for pinks  (Read 3866 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
fly techniques for pinks
« on: August 13, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »

I usually spin cast or float jigs for pinks, but this year I would like to try for pinks with the fly rod. I am familiar with most stillwater techniques but could you give me some ideas for how to fish the rivers for pinks. My equipment consists of 6 wt fly rods, floating and full sink lines ( type 2 and type 3 ) . Could you use indicators and weighted  flies.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: fly techniques for pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »

I usually spin cast or float jigs for pinks, but this year I would like to try for pinks with the fly rod. I am familiar with most stillwater techniques but could you give me some ideas for how to fish the rivers for pinks. My equipment consists of 6 wt fly rods, floating and full sink lines ( type 2 and type 3 ) . Could you use indicators and weighted  flies.

First you want to find a slow moving pool if possible, this will decrease the likelihood of foul hooking or flossing, and then cast a floating or intermediate sink tip line with a small pink fly tied on a 3-6 foot length of 5-8 lb leader ( 3 foot for the sinking and 6 foot for the floating).  If you are using a floating line you will want the fly weighted with dumbell eyes or a bead.  Cast across and down stream slightly and let the fly sink a few seconds and then begin a slow retrieve.  My preferred retrieve is a slow jig strip.  The take will be soft so be ready to set the hook when you feel the tug.  You will not need indicators as the pinks will always take a fly on the retrieve and rarely on the drift.  A pink hooked on the drift is likely foul hooked or flossed.
Not all those who wander are lost

sdpark

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

Thanks for the concise information.  One quick question for you - what is the best way to join the untapered leader to a fly line with a welded loop?  Would you make a loop in the mono/tippet like a perfection loop and then use a loop to loop connection? Will a perfection loop of relatively relatively small diameter tippet cut the welded loop?

I've been trying to google this for days, but my keywords don't seem to generate the answer I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »

Thanks for the concise information.  One quick question for you - what is the best way to join the untapered leader to a fly line with a welded loop?  Would you make a loop in the mono/tippet like a perfection loop and then use a loop to loop connection? Will a perfection loop of relatively relatively small diameter tippet cut the welded loop?

I've been trying to google this for days, but my keywords don't seem to generate the answer I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I would use a loop to loop as I do not think the leader material will cut through.  And you do not need less than 5 pound test (I use 8lb Ultragreen for pinks) as pinks are not leader shy. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »

For the most part a type or 3 full sinking line is not suitable.

Two options:

use a fly weighted with a bead or or small hourglass or dumbell style weight

or

buy a couple of polyleaders in intermediate sink and fast sink @ about $13 each which can be looped to your floating line to make a sink tip. Perfect?

Pinks can be fished in moving water like the Fraser. Try to present the fly so it is above the fish a foot or two to avoid snagging and they will move to it. Pinks are even known to take flies on the surface.

If you snag fish just move up the presentation ie from fast sink to intermediate or lightly weighted fly and floating line.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »

When the water is high and fairy swift and clarity not the greatest (ie Squamish) you want to get down to the fish. I fish a 12' 7.5 inch per second polyleader and short 8lb leader to get it down to where the fish are, cast 45 degrees down stream and throw an upstream mend to straighten out the fly line above the fly, this allows it to sink. When the line comes under tension follow the line with the rod tip as it swings across the river, you can thrown in the odd strip if you like. When the line is directly below you strip it back in and start again, often they will grab it as you are stripping it back in. If you are snagging them cast on a sharper angle down stream or change to a lighter tip, unweighted fly etc. You will undoubtedly floss a few with this method, but the amount of legit biters is way higher, especially if you keep the fly travelling just above their heads. I have had most success this year swing a size 6 - 8 pink bead head woolly bugger with a bit of flash to it.
The second method I have had a lot of success with this year is dead drifting. I have been using a floating line with 5' of 8lb leader, a strike indicator on the leader and a weighted pink woolly bugger or similar. Cast or simply flick the line upstream and then high stick as it drifts back downstream toward you, retrieving line off the water to keep it drifting naturally, as it begins to pass you mend so that the line is upstream of the indicator and then start throwing stack mends or feeding line into the drift so the indicator keeps tracking down stream at the same rate as the current, exactly the same as float fishing, if the indicator dips set the hook! If you are snagging fish or the bottom move the indicator down accordingly so the fly is drifting about a foot of the bottom.

Hope this helps.

slurpie

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »

Nice recommendations Nick.  I usually employ your first method when targeting salmon but have never tried your second method, using strike indicators.  I usually see it in use for trout fishing.  I think I need to give it a try.  Which is your preferred method?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »

I prefer the first method, but I did switch to the second method on a trip to the Mam.  I was fishing on the opposite side at the mouth and had a deep current infront of me that bent away about 20 metres downstream into a wider slow eddy where the fish were holding.  After I found bottom using my sinking poly tip I switched to the floating line and was able to throw out a few extra mends and extended the drift to where the fish were holding.  I was rewarded with a couple of hookups as I slowly retrieved the line.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »

i often use the strike indacator method when fishing clearer rivers (vedder or island rivers), except i use a small shrimp weighted shrimp fly, it works well fishing seams or if the fish are close to shore or if the waters to slow and your hooking bottom.Also my other method is with a floating line and weighted fly and cast about 20 degrees down from you throw a mend up river then a quick pull then another mend then a pull then mend and drift it then swing and slow retrieve with the odd mend in the retrieve.
and my main fly is either a pink or green or blue small weighted shrimp/squid patern, and it is small usually size 8.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:25:34 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »

Nice recommendations Nick.  I usually employ your first method when targeting salmon but have never tried your second method, using strike indicators.  I usually see it in use for trout fishing.  I think I need to give it a try.  Which is your preferred method?
I prefer swinging a fly in faster more coloured water or retrieving with a floater or clear intermediate in slower, clear pools over the indicator fishing however you can do the same thing without the indicator and just watch the line which makes it a bit more challenging to detect the bites when the line just stops or straightens. If it's slow I get bored pretty quick and changing the method keeps you a bit more entertained and is good practise for other fisheries I guess.