Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filleting a salmon  (Read 10657 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Filleting a salmon
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »

Thought I'd share a video I put together showing how I fillet a salmon. I learnt this technique many years ago after watching a native fillet his sockeye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ8oO3OktKQ
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Filleting a salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »

Thought I'd share a video I put together showing how I fillet a salmon. I learnt this technique many years ago after watching a native fillet his sockeye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ8oO3OktKQ

This is a very time consuming technique, but one that minimizes meat wastage.  The technique I employ was learned on the docks of the QCL where I did not have time to be so thorough.  One thing I do extra though is make a small incision to remove those "pin bones" to make a virtually boneless fillet.  and a small incision hole near the tail end makes holding the fillets easy too.  Those salmon bellies make great sturgeon and halibut bait too.
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »

I agree that it takes a little bit longer (although I save time by not gutting the fish), but with a limit of 2 fish per day and the cost of fuel etc., no waste is pretty important.

As far as the pin bones, I leave them in the fillets when I freeze them, and just before cooking I pull them out with needle nose pliers. They seem easier to pull after they have been frozen and thawed.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »

I agree that it takes a little bit longer (although I save time by not gutting the fish), but with a limit of 2 fish per day and the cost of fuel etc., no waste is pretty important.

As far as the pin bones, I leave them in the fillets when I freeze them, and just before cooking I pull them out with needle nose pliers. They seem easier to pull after they have been frozen and thawed.

I agree with the idea of maximizing meat, so I will be trying this technique the next time I bonk a fish.  I too used to pull the pin bones out with pliers, but since I never freeze my fish (I always cook/smoke the same day), I find slicing them out to be quicker and easier.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »

I'd be interested to see how you cut the pin bones out. I normally pull mine with pliers, but it is a time consuming process. I've tried cutting them out before but I couldn't get the right angle and ended up losing meat and still having half the bones in the fillet.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »

I'd be interested to see how you cut the pin bones out. I normally pull mine with pliers, but it is a time consuming process. I've tried cutting them out before but I couldn't get the right angle and ended up losing meat and still having half the bones in the fillet.

I filleted the pink I got this morning using AF's method and saved a bit of meat.  I sliced the pin bones out and, yes, you do lose a bit of meat there but if you get the angle right it is only a millimeter or two wide strip and you have no bones at all (good when you are serving to kids). I saw a guy on a fishing show (cannot recall which) do this and figured I would try it.  After a few failed attempts I managed to get the right angle.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:01:03 PM by Sandman »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

Remember also to let the fillet rest in the fridge overnight before trying to remove the pin bones. They come out much easier that way.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »

Nicely done AF - and thanks to all others regarding the pin bones.  Learned a couple of things this evening.  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

dmoney

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »

This video shows the method I use, which is very similar to alwaysfishin, and it shows how best to remove the pin bones. I like this method because it shows the step by step process to fillet a gutted salmon, as I always gut and bleed my salmon at the time of catching, and fillet at home. I don't like to transport fish with the intestines intact.

D$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5USxMCzJJ8

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »

I prefer to leave on the pectoral fins and collar - lots of good fatty meat on that part  :).  He makes cutting along the rib bones look easy - it takes me a few fish each season before my fillets look even close to that.

dmoney

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »

I prefer to leave on the pectoral fins and collar - lots of good fatty meat on that part  :).  He makes cutting along the rib bones look easy - it takes me a few fish each season before my fillets look even close to that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgot how to fillet since last season! I brutalized the first pink I filletted this season, but it's getting better now :)

D$

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »

I think I need one of these for removing pin bones!  lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flF7JEJCr6k

CastCatch

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »

Thanks for the post
Tried this a few times and it worked out good.

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

I like this video. He's filleting a big trout, but it works the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2sFbbM5PiE&feature=related