Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best table fare - Does or Bucks?  (Read 4989 times)

JPW

Best table fare - Does or Bucks?
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »

I've always been told that it's better to keep does when retaining salmon in rivers, now I'm starting to think that advice was given more because of the advantage of also getting roe, rather than which sex is better table fare.  While doing some reading on smoking salmon last night, I came across quite a few posts on this forums and others noting that bucks are the better fish to eat because less energy is expended on the eggs.  Many comments read like this one, which iirc was from Milo: "Another thing to consider: once salmon stop feeding, a male salmon is much better table fare than a female salmon. The female dispenses a lot more energy to nourish the eggs in its skeins - to the detriment of its flesh."  Is that thinking pretty well accepted and I've just been doing it wrong up till now? (mind you the resulting cured roe has been pretty sweet).

CastCatch

Re: Best table fare - Does or Bucks?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »

I found the fresh buck chums I kept have orange meat, the color looks better.  Doesn't know if it taste better as it all fixed up after smoking.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

In close to 50 years I can't say I really noticed a difference except when the fish are starting to colour up. Bucks can still be quite good while with does it's more questionable. I'd say this applies to all species. Does look better as the bucks typically bevelop hooked jaws  jagged teeth and even humps. I know when I started to bring pinks home my wife was against eating the bucks when the humps were quite obvious. She was ok with smoking them but not on the BBQ. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

grease line

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 06:48:55 PM »

It is true, bucks have better meat. Thicker belly walls and as has been mentioned, they put less energy into reproduction.

Also, a buck can spawn with more than one female, so you will end up with more juvenile salmon by keeping bucks than does.