Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heard a report that we should be testing the salmon for radiation !!!  (Read 9452 times)

arimaBOATER

Just caught the "tail end" of some report..about the need for the gov. to test our salmon.
According to this person we should not just blindly be buying & eating salmon or marine life as there is a valid need to do radiation testing on our fish because of the nuclear plant breakdown(s) in JAPAN.

There was ALOT OF THIS CRAP going into the waters...& currents must have delivered this nuclear stuff all over the Pacific.
That salmon may look & taste good BUT it's the invisible stuff that MAY be present that concerns me... :o
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:36:46 AM by A-BOATER »

Kenwee

Re: Heard a report that we should be testing the salmon for radiation !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:21:51 AM »

Is there a device one could buy to do these tests? Perhaps someone here may know of such a device.

brysonk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »

Is there a device one could buy to do these tests? Perhaps someone here may know of such a device.
I don't know of any devices that can detect radiation. but I hear if your stick your tongue on the fishes skin and hold it there for 30 secs, when you pull it off if it turns green then don't eat it. Try it and let us know how it turns out.  ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »

While they are conducting these tests as a precaution, they are not expecting to find radiations above acceptable levels (you will likely absorb more AF radiation from your cell phone and microwave oven, and a lot more in X-rays if you have been to the dentist or doctor recently).
Not all those who wander are lost

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »

Always good to start Sunday morning with a hearty laugh  ;D :D ;D
Try the fly!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »

Ya, I was wondering this as well around the time it was all over the news. The fish travel great distances to feed and no one really knows for sure where they go to feed exactly. Radiation is absorbed into small plankton and baitfish and there is no doubt all or any o these factors may cross paths with the salmon. Radiation doesn't go away either...it stays put and has a half life of 100+ years...I wonder if our fish IS safe to eat?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »

It will also be of interest tO note if the rate of mutations of the alevin/fry goes up over the next few years, already we see quite a few from coho fry, but maybe this will increase!?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »

I'd eat a three eyed sockeye over a farmed Atlantic.

purplehelmet

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

;D
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Dbasche

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »

You can buy a Gigercounter online. They detect all typs of radiation. They can be quiet costly though! After Japan happened my mother went all crazy saying we need one so we bought on over ebay and have never since used it haha.

lude98r

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »

You can buy a Gigercounter online. They detect all typs of radiation. They can be quiet costly though! After Japan happened my mother went all crazy saying we need one so we bought on over ebay and have never since used it haha.

You could pimp out your machine at the river $10 per catch :-\

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »

Always good to start Sunday morning with a hearty laugh  ;D :D ;D

Agreed.

Gieger Counters are used to measure Ionizing radiation. I have a few at work because I work with nuclear gauges. They are about $500 and hard to get a hold of because most are getting sent to Japan.

As for testing our fish for radiation I think it's just another crock of paranoid propaganda being perpetuated by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Radiation doesn't go away either...it stays put and has a half life of 100+ years...I wonder if our fish IS safe to eat?

It doesn't go away? What are you talking about. The definition of a nuclear material is something at decays by releasing sub-atomic particles until there is nothing left. What material is it that has a half life of 100yrs?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »

Don't eat it if it glows

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »

Wonder why in England they test the veal (sheep meat) for radiation...as they know alot of nuclear "crap" landed in England & went into the soil..........ya know after that big nuclear plant had a "break-down".........
gues we can "laugh it off" as we all know we are going to DIE one way or another" phy. death that is ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dbasche

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

Yeah they are pretty careful with this kind of stuff. After chernoble happened in 86 they are still testing foods that come from that region for radioactivity in Germany now a days. I agree with that I'd rather be to cautios than to little. Thinking about all the things a radio active infection can do to you I'd rather test it before eating it!