Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heard a report that we should be testing the salmon for radiation !!!  (Read 9457 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Heard a report that we should be testing the salmon for radiation !!!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »

Just got back from Ucluelet with 150 pounds of spring, coho and halibut fillets.
No sockeye for me.  :D

katfish

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »

You get more radiation from eating a bananna.  Fear mongers suck.

blueback

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »

You get more radiation from eating a bananna.  Fear mongers suck.

Really?? And if fear mongers suck then I assume you include media outlets and politicians  :D

We eat lots of salmon, and I was thinking about this the other day so I looked it up and found that News 1130 reported that CFIA was testing sox for radiation and that the data was on the CFIA website. I couldn't find it though. Anybody have any (actual) knowledge of this??   

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »

We eat lots of salmon, and I was thinking about this the other day so I looked it up and found that News 1130 reported that CFIA was testing sox for radiation and that the data was on the CFIA website. I couldn't find it though. Anybody have any (actual) knowledge of this??    

Didn't see anything on the CFIA website - just more comments in the media:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Salmon+tested+traces+radiation+from+nuclear+disaster+Japan/5285218/story.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:09:17 AM by Easywater »

StillAqua

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

The CFIA data is here:  http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/imp/eartere.shtml
Radioactive iodine and cesium are the two radioactive elements of real concern for getting through the food chain and into your body but CFIA hasn't detected anything yet. Iodine decays away very fast (8 day half life) so we'll never see it in our fish (they aren't even detecting much in Japan). Cesium sticks around though so we might eventually see a little in our food chain but you have to remember that it's all being diluted in the vast Pacific ocean and atmosphere so that they might eventually be able to detect it in our food, but it won't be anything close to a health risk. But that wouldn't make a very good media story would it?

blueback

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

Thanks StillAqua!! Just what I was looking for. Bon Appetite  ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »

The CFIA data is here:  http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/imp/eartere.shtml
Radioactive iodine and cesium are the two radioactive elements of real concern for getting through the food chain and into your body but CFIA hasn't detected anything yet. Iodine decays away very fast (8 day half life) so we'll never see it in our fish (they aren't even detecting much in Japan). Cesium sticks around though so we might eventually see a little in our food chain but you have to remember that it's all being diluted in the vast Pacific ocean and atmosphere so that they might eventually be able to detect it in our food, but it won't be anything close to a health risk. But that wouldn't make a very good media story would it?

I'm not worried about radiation in the fish...

however, they did TWO samples for each fish species... TWO!  I shouldn't have to tell people as far as sample sizes go, that is ridiculously inadequate to come to any sort of conclusion.

StillAqua

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »

however, they did TWO samples for each fish species... TWO!  I shouldn't have to tell people as far as sample sizes go, that is ridiculously inadequate to come to any sort of conclusion.
Sample numbers are small I suspect because CFIA is just going through the motions right now for the public face. August was only 5 months since the quake/tsunami, less since the reactors went critical, and not enough time for cesium to get into mature fish through the marine foodchain. But they have to appear to be looking....