Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which rod is better  (Read 9550 times)

ricer

which rod is better
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »

looking at buying a lower end rod for pinks, coho, ect....

trying to decide between the dragonfly 10 ft #8 or the echo ion 10ft #8  both are 189$ 
which would you choose and why?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: which rod is better
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »

looking at buying a lower end rod for pinks, coho, ect....

trying to decide between the dragonfly 10 ft #8 or the echo ion 10ft #8  both are 189$ 
which would you choose and why?

I own a few, so read into my bias, but I would say the Echo rods are better.  It will cast like a much higher priced rod, whereas the Dragonfly's abilities are directly related to it's pricetag...lower end.

My $0.02

J
- John A.

cohojoe

fish do not know which rod is better
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »

Fish do not care or  know which rod you are using.    I have good rods,  and  garage sale rods.   One day  I tried a  fly rod that is ancient.    It still caught fish.    Not bad for a  garage sale  rod

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: fish do not know which rod is better
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »

Fish do not care or  know which rod you are using.    I have good rods,  and  garage sale rods.   One day  I tried a  fly rod that is ancient.    It still caught fish.    Not bad for a  garage sale  rod

Hes asking which is better, in your opinion because they're the same price
- John A.

ricer

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »

thnks for the info - i guess i should be a little more specific

by good i don't mean will it catch fish - i mean quality, durability, castability

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »

Cast each one at a store and buy the one you feel more comfortable with

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »

Could get a TFO 6 wt for cheaper I believe.
They are an awesome rod for casting, haven't used it on any fish besides cutties and interior bows yet but it felt great.

Fenwick HMX is also around $189 I believe and they are an awesome rod.
Landed multiple springs (up to 20 pnds) and coho on mine off the beach and in the rivers before being snapped by a buddy stepping on it.
That would be my recommendation for a starting rod...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »

I landed springs up to the 40lb range with my old Dragonfly rod. I couldn't break that thing to save my life. I have also seen my dad tow big chum in with his Echo. I would personally go with the Echo because it's got a better feel and I'm sure it's also lighter in hand
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »

On a side note

I just grabbed an Amundson setup (rod,reel,line and other goodies) for only 179.99 at Army and Navy. Good thing about their warranty is that it's only a twenty minute drive away :-)
Check out our new blog

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »

On a side note

I just grabbed an Amundson setup (rod,reel,line and other goodies) for only 179.99 at Army and Navy. Good thing about their warranty is that it's only a twenty minute drive away :-)

Which Army and Navy was that?  $180 is a good price for an Amundson, what was the reel they gave you?
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »

it is the Amundson Rocky Mountains package (i got the 8wt) and it was the Langley store. it comes with a little waist bag, leader material, loop connectors, a pack of tapered leaders, forceps and snippers. Im probably missing something, oh the line is a weight forward floating so im going to create my own loop so i can use sink tips with it

the reel itself is anodized for use in fresh or salt and has a very good micro adjustable drag  ;D

I shopped around for awhile because the wifey said i had a budget of $200 for the setup so this fit the bill perfectly
Check out our new blog

ricer

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:04:55 AM »

great deal on the amundsun

anybody try the Imperial St. Croix Switch rod?  how does the switch rods work - do you need a spey line for 2 handed and regular for siingle?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »

it is the Amundson Rocky Mountains package (i got the 8wt) and it was the Langley store. it comes with a little waist bag, leader material, loop connectors, a pack of tapered leaders, forceps and snippers. Im probably missing something, oh the line is a weight forward floating so im going to create my own loop so i can use sink tips with it

the reel itself is anodized for use in fresh or salt and has a very good micro adjustable drag  ;D

I shopped around for awhile because the wifey said i had a budget of $200 for the setup so this fit the bill perfectly

Those are great kit!  Check out the Whitlock welded loop...it's in an older issue of Fly Fisherman if I'm not mistaken.

J
- John A.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

Switch rods can use multiple lines. I had one paired with a Spey line and a full line for two hand overhead casting. They are strenuous to cast one handed because of their length so using two hands is best. Switches do each thing well but also have downsides because they can't do one thing perfectly like a specifically designed rod can
Check out our new blog

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

Switch rods can use multiple lines. I had one paired with a Spey line and a full line for two hand overhead casting. They are strenuous to cast one handed because of their length so using two hands is best. Switches do each thing well but also have downsides because they can't do one thing perfectly like a specifically designed rod can

Agree re: lines.

However, I think that switch rods are getting better and better in the one-handed-castability department!
- John A.