Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which rod is better  (Read 9551 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: which rod is better
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »

I didn't say you couldn't cast them single handed. I'm just saying that with the longer rod comes more torque on your wrist and arm, I doubt you could cast one all day without being decently fatigued.

And in regards to Spey casting with a switch. Unless you can effectively perform decent to good casts with a Spey rod then you will find the switch harder to figure out. I know with mine it took me a few hours to figure out that I had to change my casting style a bit to make it work well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

it is the Amundson Rocky Mountains package (i got the 8wt) and it was the Langley store. it comes with a little waist bag, leader material, loop connectors, a pack of tapered leaders, forceps and snippers. Im probably missing something, oh the line is a weight forward floating so im going to create my own loop so i can use sink tips with it

the reel itself is anodized for use in fresh or salt and has a very good micro adjustable drag  ;D

I shopped around for awhile because the wifey said i had a budget of $200 for the setup so this fit the bill perfectly

Have you tried out the Rocky Mountain reel yet?  How is the drag system?  I am in the market and am hesitant to spring for a Trend.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »

I haven't used it on fish but I have adjusted it by small increments and pull line off. I'm very shocked at how good the drag is. Full on it's almost locked solid but will still move a tiny bit like it should. This has as good of a drag as a reel of alot more cost. I wouldn't have bought the combo if the reel wasn't of decent quality. I had a Sage 1680 or 1880 (can't remember which)  on my old setup and the drag was either on or off pretty much, I hated that reel !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »

I didn't say you couldn't cast them single handed. I'm just saying that with the longer rod comes more torque on your wrist and arm, I doubt you could cast one all day without being decently fatigued.

I know you didn't  :)

I was just tossing in my opinion that, in a few years, switch rods will be much more "switch" and less a whole 'nother tool, that's all  ;D

J
- John A.

ricer

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

Well - ended up buying a 10ft  - #8 - temple fork from wholesale outfitters for 170$ - love the fast action

thnks for the input

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

Well - ended up buying a 10ft  - #8 - temple fork from wholesale outfitters for 170$ - love the fast action

thnks for the input

Congrats, enjoy the stick!

John
- John A.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:32 PM »

And in regards to Spey casting with a switch. Unless you can effectively perform decent to good casts with a Spey rod then you will find the switch harder to figure out. I know with mine it took me a few hours to figure out that I had to change my casting style a bit to make it work well

I have a couple of Echo Switch Rods. The real beauty of a switch and what it was designed for is lifting a good length of line, backcasting and putting it straight out in a single cast. No false casting. With the Airflo 40+ lines I can do this with 70 or 80 feet of line. Shooting 100+ feet of line single or double handed is also very practical.

As for Spey casting. They are better for Skagit casts or Scandi cast as they work a shout 30 foot or so head well. They cast a skagit more than far enough and I have talked to people who chuck 100 feet with a scandi head and poly tips.

The other good thing is they are light and properly balanced feel lighter than a similarly powered single handed rod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.