Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ross lake  (Read 3740 times)

rocky

ross lake
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »

any reports from ross lake, wondering about water levels and condition.

nineweight

Re: ross lake
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »

Water level has been coming up...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=12175000

Full pool is usually arond 1600 so still 8ft below.  Not sure what that would look like on the flooded reservoir and if that is a fishable level or not.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »

We were there today and the lake is very low and the main channel in front of the campsite is more like a river with a definite current. We tried to use float tubes and gave up after a short time.
The road is in very good condition and the weather was excellent so all was not lost.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »

How were the mosquitoes JBB?

Butch1949

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »

I've not fished Ross Lake,went there once to check it out, beautiful 50-55km road in, saw the boat launch and camp sites right by the launch, observed quite a few stumps near shore, ( any problems posed with these or near shore difficulties to watch out for?), we then travelled further south and with little notice crossed into the US side, we realized we were there by American flags on boats and their US lic. plates, they also had a launch and campsites adjacent and a few of the fishermen gave us a curious look having seen our lic. plates.  Questions:  can you fish all of Ross Lake or are their clear US Canadian boundaries marked?, have any of you Canuck fishermen ever crossed that road border like myself and what to observe?, it's my understanding that there are boundaries on Canadian side indicating fishing boundary for river mouth, and lastly of course, how good is this fill-em-up lake for fishing......trout.....size.....quality, Thx ???
"I don't catch fish"

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »

I didn't notice any mosquitoes and we were prepared for them, having been eaten alive on a previous visit. I would watch the water level gauge before making another trip to the lake.
It is a beautiful setting but the lake yesterday was more like a stump filled marsh with a river running down the middle. ( I am refering to the Canadian side only. )
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play