Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Cabelas store coming close to Vancouver in 2012  (Read 23841 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: New Cabelas store coming close to Vancouver in 2012
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »

The new Cabelas store in Tulalip is opening on Thursday:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cabelas-announces-opening-date-tulalip-234700419.html

Anybody going down to checkout the grand opening deals?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »

Probably check it out later this summer on my way to visit by sister in Seattle

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »

I love going to bass pro and gander mountain. Never been in a cabelas but I would assume its much of the same, so I am sure I will like it. May have to check it out when I am in seattle in june.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:08 AM »

Will be heading down next month.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

Going down there this weekend. I usually go to Wholesale Sports in Burlington, they have decent prices. Some things are more then others, some not. For example the Shimano Convergence casting rod is $5 more then here, but the Okuma SST casting rod that I bought was $40 less. Hit and miss. I usually go to Berry's in Richmond, for all my terminal tackle and spinner parts, but for things like reels, rods, clothing/gear I usually go to the states. Its hard to pass up 25%-40% savings.                                   
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Dogbreath

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »

Prices @ Cabela's have risen quite quickly-it's not the organisation it once was.

RonniePache

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

I've been to the Cabela's in Glendale, AZ, and bought a rod case, and vest from there.....my father in-law just gave me a 5wt packing rod (Cabela's brand), but I haven't used it...I will hang out there while the wife shops the outlets for sure, I love thier hunting video games, lol

noobfisher

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »

If anyone is going tomorrow post ur review, thinking of heading down over the weekend.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

Well I went there today and let me just say, you best have a lot of time on your hands because the place is HUGE! The fishing section is about double maybe even triple of what you would find at Wholesale Sports in Langley, but the whole store is about the size of a Home Depot. Prices are decent, but nothing too crazy. Too many people there today that I couldn't really look around and enjoy the store. There must have been 100 person line up in the store just to meet some D-lister. My kids enjoyed themselves with all the animals on display (stuffed of course). Plus the big *** fish tank at the back of the store that had some bows in it. All in all, I would go down there again just to have a real good look around, but as for shopping there in the future, I think I'll stick to my local stores.

On a side note, I was amazed to see how many of their staff in the fishing dept. didn't know what a Centerpin reel was. One guy tried to sell me a mooching reel, going on and on to one of his co-workers saying that it was a centerpin. Weird.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:40:02 AM by Jewelz »
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

Good report. Thanks

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »

Well I went there today and let me just say, you best have a lot of time on your hands because the place is HUGE! The fishing section is about double maybe even triple of what you would find at Wholesale Sports in Langley, but the whole store is about the size of a Home Depot. Prices are decent, but nothing too crazy. Too many people there today that I couldn't really look around and enjoy the store. There must have been 100 person line up in the store just to meet some D-lister. My kids enjoyed themselves with all the animals on display (stuffed of course). Plus the big *** fish tank at the back of the store that had some bows in it. All in all, I would go down there again just to have a real good look around, but as for shopping there in the future, I think I'll stick to my local stores.

On a side note, I was amazed to see how many of their staff in the fishing dept. didn't know what a Centerpin reel was. One guy tried to sell me a mooching reel, going on and on to one of his co-workers saying that it was a centerpin. Weird.

Thanks for the report,   The only centerpin reels you can find in that area are Ross, Raven and Islander, but their price is almost the same up here.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

Thanks for the report,   The only centerpin reels you can find in that area are Ross, Raven and Islander, but their price is almost the same up here.

They didn't even know what it was, let alone the companies that make them... The manager finally came around and pulled the only one they had from the back of a botttom shelf in a glass cabinet, an Okuma Aventa. 
Peace. One. Jewelz.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »

I guess nobody use centerpin reels down there. They only sell spinning, baitcasting and fly reels only. And most of the staff doesn't even know what is centerpin reels.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »

If you think the new one is big, go to the lacey store, its almost twice as big with 2 floors.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:35 AM »

If you think the new one is big, go to the lacey store, its almost twice as big with 2 floors.

Agreed.  The Tulalip store is nice but the Lacey store is much bigger.  I stopped by on my way down to Seattle on Friday.  Despite not having a shooting gallery for the kiddies,  its still big enough to occupy my time while the rest of the family shops at the outlet mall.  For a big box store, the fly area was decently laid out.  They do carry some higher end fly gear.  Prices though did not seem to be much lower unless you were looking for cheap entry level gear.  Ended up only buying some trout bait that was on sale.

Also stopped by Orvis for their Spring event.  They had $25 of any non sale purchases of over $50 so I stocked up on trout leaders.  They also had some Rio AFS shooting heads on for half price which I picked up for my 6wt switch.