Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano bait ban...huh??  (Read 8321 times)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Capilano bait ban...huh??
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »

I've had any number of people today tell me about the bait ban on the cap, either that there is one or there isn't one...whats the deal??  Can somebody provide the months the bait ban is in effect, if it is annual, so I can make a note of it?  I have always just not used roe in the cap, spoons have always produced.

John
- John A.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
- John A.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano bait ban...huh??
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »

imo that bait ban only promotes snagging and other illegal activities....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »

imo that bait ban only promotes snagging and other illegal activities....

totally agree

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »

X3 Have heard that it was to protect summer runs or an early run of now non existent red springs. IMO it probably does little to protect summer runs in the general scheme of things compared to other issues on the river, but if that was the argument why not allow the use of bait below the canyon at that time of year? There is also no resident trout to speak of. It is quite frustrating in the fall when there are waves and waves of hatchery fish going past when the water is up and it is tough to get them to bite. I just end up sticking to spoons.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:15:44 PM by nickredway »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »

id be more worried about the poor summer run that actually makes it pass the gauntlet down low and into cable pool where it gets snagged over and over again. It's a hatchery river bait ban should be non existant
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

That's why I said it does little to protect the summers in the general scheme of things. Am sure those few stale winters are having blast getting hooked over and over up top on bait and anything else but the kitchen sink. My own personal opinion is that the bait ban should go period, am just playing devils advocate looking for a compromise.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

Am almost tempted to suggest shutting the cable pool at certain times of the year to protect the Steelies holed up there, but that would just move that mess elsewhere on the river. No easy answers on a dammed short river in an urban area I guess.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »

Well they knew that fresh roe in there was a killer so they put in the bait ban.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »

the dam was the true kiiller

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

Despite the bait ban there are a few regulars who uses bait during this time. I have never seen a CO during the bait ban.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »

I have never seen a CO during the bait ban.

I have to disagree on this point as I live close to the Cap and fish there often. During the bait ban period last year, I have seen DFO officers (not COs) more than a few  times at the Cable Pool area checking licenses, hooks and checking for other violations.  I think it would be unfair to say that the DFO is not doing their job on the Cap.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »

X3 Have heard that it was to protect summer runs or an early run of now non existent red springs. IMO it probably does little to protect summer runs in the general scheme of things compared to other issues on the river, but if that was the argument why not allow the use of bait below the canyon at that time of year? There is also no resident trout to speak of. It is quite frustrating in the fall when there are waves and waves of hatchery fish going past when the water is up and it is tough to get them to bite. I just end up sticking to spoons.

NR, you are quite right that we should get rid of the existing bait ban as I don't think it does much to protect the summer run.
All it does is makes catching fresh hatchery coho more difficult and ends up harming the wild coho via excessive catch and release or accidental snagging.
Spoons do work, but wild coho by their more aggressive nature, also tends to hit it more often than the more passive hatchery fish.

anorden

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »

I think it would be unfair to say that the DFO is not doing their job on the Cap.

Great to hear DFO are out checking licenses (I heard they handed out some tickets to bait fishers too) - but I think their job extends a bit more than that. IMO they could do more to resolve the conflict with the natives which is a way bigger issue than a few guys fishing with roe when they shouldnt be.