- 8 (2.1%)
Halibut
- 107 (27.8%)
Trout
- 20 (5.2%)
Carp
- 14 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 381

Author Topic: Best Tasting Fish  (Read 119708 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re:Best Tasting Fish
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »

All well and good. I voted for Hali's, the best on the list IMHO. However, two of the better ones are missing from your list, those being Arctic Charr, by far the BEST red-meat fish I've ever had the luxery of enjoying (in fact surpassing sockeye considerably!) and Yelloweye, which I actually prefer over halibut.

Cheers,
Nog

Come on Nog, there's better rock fish than yellow-eye, How about a good feed of chilipeppers, redstripes, or canary's. The best fish IMO is a good feed of breaded rock sole or brill { petrole sole } When you've worked on Draggers most of your life, salmon becomes basically s#$t fish. I'd rather eat a silver-grey than a big ol yellow-eye any day, for that fact, even a greenie { yellowtail } or a brownie {widow rockfish } I guess I've been spoiled over all these years, being able to eat basically anything that came aboard. i almost forgot to mention the good ol smoked black-cod [ sable fish ], very rich, just like me ;D ;D As for the list....none of the above, with the exception of halibut, but I've eaten too much of that too,,bores me now. Fresh bled rockfish out of the cod-end, quickly fried with soy sauce added , then onto a piece of toast in the morning goes along way with me I tell ya. Like angels peeing on your tongue I say.......nectar of the Gods ;D ;D.... Don't get any better than that
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:25:58 AM by Bently »

lovethewater

Re: Best Tasting Fish
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »

I would have to say black cod.  But the sockeye caught in the chuck this summer was amazing.  Soak flesh down is lemon for 20 mins, salt and pepper then on the bbq.  A little slice of heaven...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2010, 07:56:54 AM »

--Kokanee... that other sockeye.. and we really catch them which is also part of the fun.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »

As for fresh water there is no fish close to north Ontario Piceral (Walleye).As for the ocean fish I have tried I would say China Rockfish(Canrary Fish).As for anywhere else I have been Mahi Mahi  (Dorado) is always tasty
Riverman

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »

As for fresh water there is no fish close to north Ontario Piceral (Walleye).As for the ocean fish I have tried I would say China Rockfish(Canrary Fish).As for anywhere else I have been Mahi Mahi  (Dorado) is always tasty

I totally agree with you on the Pickerel/Walleye. I grew up in northern Manitoba and that was the fish of choice. However my son lives up in Prince George and he ice fishes for Burbot. As far as he is concerned the Burbot ranks right up there with Pickerel. He says it tastes a lot like ling cod as well.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Thrasher

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

Columbia River Springers. from March thru May.

work2fish

« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »

For white meat fish, pickeral are definitly a favorite of mine too.  Pike can be even better, but you need to be in the middle of no where, northern Manitoba or Ontario where the water barely gets above freezing.  I've found they're best caught through the ice, so the slimecoat freezes, and clean them while they're in that in-between state between frozen and thawed.  Most people don't know how to deal with the bones so they usually don't bother, but it's easy once you learn the trick.  We've done the blind taste test with them and pickeral and they usually win for beer batter fish.

Artic char is another favorite, but again not too many places to catch them where they are at thier best but in the NWT and Northern Manitoba.  Like a cross between a salmon and a trout, beautiful red meat, but less fat, and still high in omega-3's and all the good stuff.  The the lake trout I've eaten in the NWT were similar, beautiful firm orange-red meat like a coho, but less fat than salmon and not as "fishy", though I don't find salmon fishy unless it's poorly cooked.  Definitly not like the typical lake trout which are usually best in the smoker and typically are more of a white meat, fatty fish.... brings back memories yummmmy!

Centerpinner

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »

My mom makes this amazing teriyaki marinade for sockeye and it is sooooo good!

gofishon

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

Before any of you consider throwing a fresh caught Pink in the freezer, how about trying some small boneless fillet pieces deep fried in a beer batter. Add some home made fries from fresh dug local potatoes. Serve with your favorite tartar sauce. I have my fill every 2 years.

Zackattack

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »

pink salmon, more specifically humpies are the best tasting fish :P

actually, i love taking fresh caught trout and frying them in a cast iron pan with a crushed dorito chip panko-like crust fryed in butter ;)
with some fresh squeezed lemon of course

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »

For me, one of the best tasting fish is the blue fin tuna sashimi.
Well prepared parts of belly and cheek sashimi are just amazing.
I use to enjoy it quite a bit, but nowadays tend to stay away from it as they are endangered in many areas.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »

Smoked Sockeye, Pickled Herring, Smoked Mackeral, Baked Arctic Char, Breaded / fried Sole, Halibut Fish n Chips, and Shore Lunch Beer Battered Pickerel (Walleye).

Looks like the poll missed a lot of good ones.   ;)

Animal Chin

« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

I'm from Manitobal, and my vote is for Pickerel as well. Now that I'm fishing again, I'm trying to figure out how many I can keep and transport back to freezer in Vancouver when I go back for a visit.

I like BBQ mackerel as well. Ate sardines for two weeks everyday when I visited Portugal. grilled with sea salt and boiled potatoes. I like the coho jacks I caught this season too. but Pickerel for sure as number one.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »

I'm from Manitobal, and my vote is for Pickerel as well. Now that I'm fishing again, I'm trying to figure out how many I can keep and transport back to freezer in Vancouver when I go back for a visit.

I like BBQ mackerel as well. Ate sardines for two weeks everyday when I visited Portugal. grilled with sea salt and boiled potatoes. I like the coho jacks I caught this season too. but Pickerel for sure as number one.

Agreed! I grew up in northern Manitoba and pickerel is the best.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

JPW

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »

I had some smoked Alaskan black cod at The Shore Club downtown last week and it is my new favourite for best tasting fish, absolutely amazing!