Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: roast pikeminnow  (Read 4761 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
roast pikeminnow
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

Just an hour ago, I was cooking a pikeminnow in the most old-school way possible. Her's what I did:
Step one: I cut off the head, and butterfly'd the fish (basically fillet one side and left one inch to the tail)
Step two: I marinaded the fish with salt & milk ( to add flavour and take away the bad taste)
Step three: I built my fire with cherry and maple wood, and I chose a good stick to put the fish on.
Step four: I hung the marinaded fish on the stick and placed it over the fire for 45 mins.
Step five: I split the fish in to the two fillets and I used the fork in my stick as a grill to cook the still-raw parts. The result was a delicious (but bony) fish!
Someone was here

Zanna

Re: roast pikeminnow
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »

Hey that sounds pretty good.

For freshwater fish that is a bit too bony you can use this old northern Italian recipe called carpione. Basically, you fry the fish and then you marinated it in a vinegarish sauce. It melts off the little bones. Very good recipe for the non "gourmet" type of fish to remove the muddy flavor.

I found an English version of the recipe here.
http://theitaliantaste.com/italian-cooking/appetizers/appetizers-italiana/ricette/app_029_fried_and_marinated_fish.php#.UF98RGt5mSM

But please don't use the cinnamon, why people want to put cinnamon everywhere :)