Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 28th 2011  (Read 5726 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, March 28th 2011
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:36:32 PM »

I was fishing a nice run today and on the first cast I get a brutal bone jarring hit from a steelhead.
The impact was so strong and quick that it snapped my 12 lb Seaguer leader like it was nothing.
I just stood speachless for a moment as I had never experienced anything like this even when fishing for spring salmon.
Wasn't using blades or pink worm, just a single artificial egg with a tuff of yarn.
It was a steelie with one mean temper.
Never got a peek at the fish, but I would guess it would have been bigger than anything I landed so far.

If the steelhead are going to show no respect for my tackle, I am going back to using Ultragreen 15 lb as leader.
Let them try to snap that! ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 28th 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »

Not a surprise that the Seaguar broke. :-X

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:27 AM »

May have been a springer! there were a few confirmed reports of springs landed a few weeks ago in the lower. That is crazy though to snap 12#

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »

I had one of those brutal bone jarring hit today and it snapped my line too, but it was just a twig... ::)

Other than that, the top of the float remained pretty dry today. :'(

We did watch a spey guy hooking and landing a small one from a high bank on the other side, it was quite a show. :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

Yeah - I found f/c leader (Seaguar) can fail quite easily depending on the water conditions and fish.  There are times when it works really well though!  However, I've lost lots of fish inlcuding a nice steelhead the other day on 8 lb Seaguar - like HOOK said - I should learn my lesson by now... ;)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »

fish 8 or 10lb UG....really i have not found a difference
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »

I have a sppol of 12lb P-line Flouroclear and while i find its strong i have also found it will break pretty easily. I bought it for swinging flies and after it breaking to many times i have gone back to 10lb Ultragreen  ;D

FFM - guess you should have taken a piece of 10lb UG before you hit that spot like i offered eh ? might have been the difference between landing and not  :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

May have been a springer! there were a few confirmed reports of springs landed a few weeks ago in the lower. That is crazy though to snap 12#

Didn't know that red springs were already in the river.
Could very well have been a big spring or large steelie on the move.
I am just as surprised that my #12 leader failed so quickly as it was newly tied and float was down streaming.
I had no problem landing a 14 and 12 pounders in the past week using the same type of leader.
In both cases, I did put a lot of pressure on the fish early on the fight with no problem what so ever.
I am also going to have the drag of my Luna checked to see if any problems in that end.

fish 8 or 10lb UG....really i have not found a difference

I am also starting to think that steelhead are not really leader shy in the choppy or semi-turbid water conditions that exist on the Vedder today.
Unless fishing clear slow moving water, beefing up the leader might very well improve odds of landing a fish without affecting hookup.
I have been eyeing my 12lb UG spool this morning. ;D

brownmancheng

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »

Red springs are already entering the vedder? I thought it wasn't until late may?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »

there is an extremely small run of winter springs and by small i mean less than 100 and sometimes a person will hook one up. I have seen one landed over the years, had one on that took me to school  :o and have seen a few pics of them. They are more mysterious then steelhead  ;D
Check out our new blog

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »

My close fishing buddy swears by 12lb P-Line flourocarbon for leaders. He's got over 120 fish to hand this season and he says he's only broken one or two off.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »

yes thats all fine and dandy but i was being cheap and bought the Flouroclear not actual Flourocarbon line. it works great for drift fishing but seems to not be so good for swinging the fly where it probably bumps rocks and such more often  ;)

the two lines are different in the Flouroclear is a flourocarbon coated copolymer line and straight Flourocarbon is just pure flouro

If im going to buy proper Flourocarbon then i buy Frog Hair because it rules  ;D i have tried a bunch of kinds fly fishing and found this best but its very pricey at $45 for a 100m spool  :o

Oh and i wasnt breaking off fish, I was breaking off flies on rocks and such that UG would have pulled away form with my hook destroyed instead
Check out our new blog

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

Just a reminder regarding these early red springs, they are closed for retention and must be released.
Excellent post FF.

Too often certain reports stir the pot of the uninformed.

speycaster

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

Quote from: .

Too often certain reports stir the pot of the stupid.
[/quote

There fixed it for you. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

Speycaster needs to upgrade his forum coding skills. ;D