Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 28th 2011  (Read 5727 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 28th 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »

Excellent post FF.

Too often certain reports stir the pot of the uninformed.

That is a good point. But, what if they do BBQ only? ;D ;)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »

were you fishing round borden creek, saw a guy yesterday up that way on the other side of the river hook one and it just snapped off the second it hit, i ended up catching probly the same one later that day about a 18 lb wild buck  :) also lost 2 more in the same run and farther down landed about a 8 lb wild doe and a 10 lb buck. and today landed a 12 lb wild doe, a 14 lb wild buck and lost 2 more. all on my pin, got casting down i can cast all the way across like its nothin  :o very few guys out this week, and the warter got ugly today at dark around a foot vis at thurston meadows. Also on sunday fishing a side section i got a 3ish lb dolly on my fly rod, still up there till sunday  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

were you fishing round borden creek, saw a guy yesterday up that way on the other side of the river hook one and it just snapped off the second it hit, i ended up catching probly the same one later that day about a 18 lb wild buck  :) also lost 2 more in the same run and farther down landed about a 8 lb wild doe and a 10 lb buck. and today landed a 12 lb wild doe, a 14 lb wild buck and lost 2 more. all on my pin, got casting down i can cast all the way across like its nothin  :o very few guys out this week, and the warter got ugly today at dark around a foot vis at thurston meadows. Also on sunday fishing a side section i got a 3ish lb dolly on my fly rod, still up there till sunday  :)

Holly s***, you are having a hell of a day up there steelie-slayer! ;D
I did fish the borden creek area yesterday, but did not hook anything there.
Looks really fishy up there, but just can't seem to hit the right spots there without boulders chewing up my tackle like pacman. ;)
I need to get better glasses or something as I am beginning to feel like a blind old man. LOL
I am certain there are big fish in there but no luck so far. It's like Thompson Park rapids for me.
The one I lost was more down stream from there, around noon or so.
Have a great week and tight lines! :)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »

Holly s***, you are having a hell of a day up there steelie-slayer! ;D
I did fish the borden creek area yesterday, but did not hook anything there.
Looks really fishy up there, but just can't seem to hit the right spots there without boulders chewing up my tackle like pacman. ;)
I need to get better glasses or something as I am beginning to feel like a blind old man. LOL
I am certain there are big fish in there but no luck so far. It's like Thompson Park rapids for me.
The one I lost was more down stream from there, around noon or so.
Have a great week and tight lines! :)

thanks bigblue  :) and i know around borden creek very well, i know  all the pockets and riffles through there  ;)
we musta just missed you then lol we started up there at 7 yesterday till 8:30, and came back at 10:30 and left like at like 11, haha maybe next time well bump into each other

and i dont wear any kinda glasses, i just stand on a special big rock look out and know the spots in the run like my hand.
Sadly tho were spending the night at some friends in chilliwack so we wont get first light  :'( if your goin to the river on wedns-sun send me an email i usually fish fromjust above the prision to then ranger run, ill show where to cast cus i know itsa big spot and can look intimidating,and i found out a new secret thing to use  :-X
and i got a cure for the snag problem as i had that up there to, i now use slinkies i make where some big non removable splitties in a shoelace with melted ends and a clib onto a 3 way swivel, works wonders and you rarely get snagged or loose anything
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:10:25 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

ribolovac02

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »

My close fishing buddy swears by 12lb P-Line flourocarbon for leaders. He's got over 120 fish to hand this season and he says he's only broken one or two off.
If we include whole december and up to now, that makes about 120 days for fishing for steal,if your friend have fished everyday he would have to get a "MINIMUM" of one fish per outing,even when the vedder has had a super run of fish like this YEAR i find this record hardly possible,not to mention you said he had 120 to HAND??????? ::)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »

If we include whole december and up to now, that makes about 120 days for fishing for steal,if your friend have fished everyday he would have to get a "MINIMUM" of one fish per outing,even when the vedder has had a super run of fish like this YEAR i find this record hardly possible,not to mention you said he had 120 to HAND??????? ::)

I agree. Where's the BS button, I want to push it at least a hundred times anyway.  ::)  ;D

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 10:51:15 PM »

hmmm....good points. A good gauge would be a retired guy who fishes the canal lots and is probably out just about every fishable day, usually twice a day (morning and evening) As of a week ago he had hooked 105 and landed 83, this is no bs and considering the amount of time on the water I find its believable. Maybe Dion's bud is retired?
Also have another fella I know who has had many multiple days this year with one of them bringing 8 fish to the beach! He was at around 45 fish to the beach about a month ago.

mr.p

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »

I would have said BS too...until last week.... Now I think anything is possible.  I hooked 24, landing 17 in 3 days. 

After a developing a circuit in the early season, you start to return to the spots which produce, you begin hooking 1 or 2 or 3 fish each outing.  Then you have those legendary days that happen a few times each season.  The numbers really start to add up.

120 doesn't seem too far fetched.  Especially if most of the fish have been caught on a smaller, easy to fish flow which is also having a banner year for returns.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

mr.p

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »

I would have said BS too...until last week.... Now I think anything is possible.  I hooked 24, landing 17 in 3 days. 

After a developing a circuit in the early season, you start to return to the spots which produce, you begin hooking 1 or 2 or 3 fish each outing.  Then you have those legendary days that happen a few times each season.  The numbers really start to add up.

120 doesn't seem too far fetched.  Especially if most of the fish have been caught on a smaller, easy to fish flow which like the vedder is also having a banner year for returns.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »

I was going to say 120 isn't far fetched at all.
I'm at 26 fish for 29 trips and I wouldn't even consider myself that good.
The other day me and a buddy hit 7 fish in 6 hours. If I were spending more time on the river I think I would have many more (being able to follow fish, etc).
Kinda hard when the last time I fished was Feb and the time before that was December.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »

120 doesn't seem too far fetched.  Especially if most of the fish have been caught on a smaller, easy to fish flow which is also having a banner year for returns.

holy! you have those days on the Ved or smaller flow? thats crazy

bcguy

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »

120?!?!?!...Because fisherman would never lie about their catches... ::) ::) ::)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

mr.p

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

On the Ved dude and all on jigs!!!!   Pretty insane.  3 epic days which I will never forget.  The weirdest thing is that the conditions were not ideal by any means.  Water was dropping and in a few of the spots I fished it was gin clear.  The one factor that was to my advantage was the water temp.  Coincidentally, my previous single day best was also after a rise in water temperature.

There always seems to be a handful of days within a season where for whatever reason the river is on fire.  Just gotta get lucky and be there when it happens.  

brownmancheng

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »

So that's why I have been skunked all season u have been catching all the fish