Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Next Fisheries Minister?  (Read 2849 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
The Next Fisheries Minister?
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

It is extremely likely that Shea will not re-assume the portfolio of the Head Position at DFO, even were she to manage a win in her local riding. Her term has come and gone, and following the usual pattern, another is extremely likely to assume that position once a new Cabinet is declared.

A switch will also allow the gov to procrastinate over resource allocation issues whilst the latest Minister becomes acclimatized. Pretty much a given with any Cabinet position change.

So, who do you suppose is being groomed for this illustrious position? Who has already noted he would be happiest were he to be handed the reigns of power? Why none other than our Island's own, one Mr. John Duncan. Gasp! Yup, incredible as it may seem, Duncan is currently being groomed for, and is extremely eager for his shot at the Title.

While many may think that having a Minister from BC, particularly the Island, in that office would be a good development for the long-ignored West Coast, nothing could be further from the truth. Unless you are a Slipper Skipper that is. For in excess of eight years, Duncan has acted in a manner exactly contradictory to the wishes and desires of Recreational Anglers province wide. Imagine just what he could do in the position of "absolute power" over all of our fisheries. Scary thought that.

The words of those who have unfortunately had to "work" with this man range from "slimy" to much much worse. Given his stance in favor of the 88/12 allocation (something he actually helped create btw), I shudder to think of just what fisheries that program will expand to should he land the job he now so covets.

This is a very Real, and very VERY Dangerous possibility Folks. If you thought Shea was problematic, wait until someone completely and diametrically apposed to our fishing passions takes control!

There is time to thwart this development. We are in the midst of an election after all. Mr. Duncan has solidified his support amongst the commercial sector in his riding, and expects to ride to victory based upon that. The question now is are we strong enough, are we of sufficient numbers to counter their approach and inform his entire Party we are sick to death of being force-fed their peculiar form of "management"? I sincerely hope that those within Duncan's riding step forward and do just that, for the results of not doing so are of nightmare proportions!

Time to organize Folks, time to talk with your spouses, your neighbors, your friends and anyone else who will listen to common sense! This man does not represent your concerns, he instead completely ignores and dismisses them. In fact he wishes you all would simply go away so his ambitions can continue unchecked, and his Fat Friends can get a little fatter.

This is no longer a partisan matter, it has become more than personal. I am not going to tell anyone who they should vote for, but am certainly suggesting just who to vote against. That particular riding has always been split between the Conservatives and the NDP, with the Liberals always trailing a very distant third. As tough a pill as it may be for some to swallow voting for the candidate most likely to overtake Duncan in the polls (NDP - and no, I have no love nor affiliation with that party) at this time, doing so VERY much presents the lesser of Two Evils.

I do not reside in the riding in question, however I FEAR for our future fishing possibilities down the road. Some of you here do live in that riding. I am relying on you to get the word out and carry the day. Duncan's days in office are hopefully numbered, it is now up to you to Make That So! Of course anything I can do to help that cause I am certainly prepared to do so. Feel free to call upon me should I in any small way be able to help your efforts for ridding us of the Enemy, and preventing him from becoming our next Fisheries OverLord!

Nog

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: The Next Fisheries Minister?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »

--If you recall.. Shea was touted as a new fresh reasonable person that would be great for the fishery.
--Not long after a tour to west coast and interview for local fishing magazine... all very positive.. then the Minister showed up in Europe at a world aquaculture trade show... and whollla.. instant conversion... Recreational fishery becomes an inconvenience and detriment to the real value of the fishery.

--

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »

Recreational fishery becomes an inconvenience and detriment to the real value of the fishery.

BINGO!!  ;)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »

While it would would be great to have fisheries managed solely for the benefit of the recreational sector, it's not going to happen....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »

--for sure I wouldn't advocate for recreational fishery as sole mission of the ministry, just asking for fair consideration.
--My Great Grandfather was a commercial fisher out of Port Alberni... line trawler... Cousin fished line out of Parksville. Mainly direct sales of fresh fish to commercial clients and direct customers.
--Many friends guided.. could be argued either way if this is commercial or recreational, depends on how it is managed and where the assigned quota comes from.
---We can argue forever on how the catch should be distributed but we should all try to be on the same page on the total allocation and protection of a potentially sustainable resource.
--Cannot manage without reliable numbers of returns, timing, catch and available habitat... both  inland spawning and what goes on out in the ocean.   
--Can we please have a Minister that actually Cares about and advocates for the fish... instead of just allocating what is left of the fishery.

--The solution to every problem cannot be... oooh there is a lack of fish so we must shut down  the "recreational fishery" which is the least important.
--Or should I say is the least funded lobby group.

nosey

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »

Conservative majority now, I guess we'll see, they call themselves Conservatives but in my mind they are still C.R.A.P.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

Conservative majority now, I guess we'll see, they call themselves Conservatives but in my mind they are still C.R.A.P.

I'm not sure if there is wisdom in your statement, or if you're making a joke, or........   ???

Maybe you could explain yourself.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »

crap as in poop, excrement, solid waste..you know, the thing ya pinch off in the morning, my guess is duncan, unfortunately....holmes*