Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Renewed license  (Read 3321 times)

Chilcotin

Renewed license
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »

I went over to hub sports today to get a new license. I had on there the info on 2 Springs I caught. I asked the guy there if the information I put on there is used. He said that the information on the license on what I caught is not used any where. My question is why? Would they not want to know where fish were caught, how many and what species?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Renewed license
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »

I went over to hub sports today to get a new license. I had on there the info on 2 Springs I caught. I asked the guy there if the information I put on there is used. He said that the information on the license on what I caught is not used any where. My question is why? Would they not want to know where fish were caught, how many and what species?

They do use the info when they stop you for a field check. It's used for compliance not statistics.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »

--This is supposed to be one of the future benefits... if it ever gets done... of the electronic license..
--In the past fisheries has cried and cried that they do not have the staff to enter the information even if we all turned in our licenses..
--One of the sell points of the electronic license is fisheries does not have to have a staff person entering the information thus it will be a great source for future research and management..
--I think I send in a suggestion at least once per year.. as I have an electronic license I would gladly input catch and other information.

--The stock answer is always... even though they will pay a company to do a survey and collect similar information and same verifications of source... that they cannot trust ME to enter information as I am an unreliable source and there is no way to check it.

--They have boxes of the old turned in licenses.... I'm sure there are many students out there looking for summer jobs that would input the information for $10 per hr.

--AND lets get on with the electronic age.
--I was fishing as part of a research project... we had cell coverage in the area we were fishing thus every angler on the river could and did immediately enter catch information via text or phone call... no need for data sheet that we all had to keep and hand in to be entered each evening by staff member... very soon the staff member got behind and eventually  we were several days behind and the data was not immediately useful as it should have been... Didn't get the final data for a month after the study... Even though our unofficial instand on line data proved to be  not only accurate but instant.
--We used the instant unofficial data to move fisher around and to change catch methods, schedule fishing times etc all which would not have been possible if we had waited for the official paper versions to be
entered and processed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:54:08 AM by skaha »

Chilcotin

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »

Thank you very much for your info. Is there a way in which we could either scan and email our licenses to DFO so they could at least have an electronic copy of it? Just wondering.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

Because they now have your e-mail address and mailing address perhaps they will ask us to voluntarily fill in a web based questionnaire.

They used to send out questionnaires to hunters that had won an LEH draw in order to get a survey of their success rate. This year they made available a web survey. It was very easy to complete and took no time at all to do so.

The advantage is no one on their end has to do the key punch entry.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »

This is a little off the topic but can we shrink the licence , it's too thick to put in the wallet. Is it legal ???

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »

Well, technically, other than a mention that your printer needs to be loaded with letter sized paper as a prerequisite for obtaining an electronic license, there is no mention that the license itself must be printed at 8.5" x 11".  You can set your printer to print 2 pages on one page of paper so the license is about the same size as the hard copy versions.  This renders it still large enough to read and record the necessary information on, while reducing the size to half.
Not all those who wander are lost

ChakaRaka

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »

Well, technically, other than a mention that your printer needs to be loaded with letter sized paper as a prerequisite for obtaining an electronic license, there is no mention that the license itself must be printed at 8.5" x 11".  You can set your printer to print 2 pages on one page of paper so the license is about the same size as the hard copy versions.  This renders it still large enough to read and record the necessary information on, while reducing the size to half.

That would be a little more reasonable, or at least 1/2 the pain in the rear it is currently.  But I really miss my past Alberta licenses that were smaller than the receipt I typically get for gas.  They don't do much right out there, but that is one of the few things that they do.  Another nice improvement might be to issue a license that is oh I don't know, maybe water resistant, seeing as this is an aquatic sport.  Why not have a wallet card and decals.  Card good for 5 years, year decal goes on it.  Special tags etc could be a tiny sticker for the back or something.  Compact, hard to cheat and amazingly enough not paper mache, when it ultimately gets wet.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:32:31 PM »

That would be a little more reasonable, or at least 1/2 the pain in the rear it is currently.  But I really miss my past Alberta licenses that were smaller than the receipt I typically get for gas.  They don't do much right out there, but that is one of the few things that they do.  Another nice improvement might be to issue a license that is oh I don't know, maybe water resistant, seeing as this is an aquatic sport.  Why not have a wallet card and decals.  Card good for 5 years, year decal goes on it.  Special tags etc could be a tiny sticker for the back or something.  Compact, hard to cheat and amazingly enough not paper mache, when it ultimately gets wet.

I seem to recall New Brunswick licenses were card sized (may be laminated).
Not all those who wander are lost

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »

I print mine like Sandman said except on "Rite-in-the-rain" injet paper. Water isn't a problem....remembering to bring it with me still is though. ::)