Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon gear  (Read 5384 times)

Robbie

Sturgeon gear
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »

Hey guys.  I'm looking for a couple of Sturgeon rigs.  What are some good recommendations for rod, reel and line combos?  I plan to boat fish from Maple Ridge to Chilliwack.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: Sturgeon gear
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

Technium 8 foot rod and what ever reel you like:)I have two TLD 20's and one Avet.I would buy a reel without the worm gear though.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

penn 320 is a great reel for sturg, reasonably priced and holds a fair bit of line. some say it doesnt hold enough so they opt for the penn 330 which is significantly bigger and holds more line, being in a boat with the ability to chase fish i would suggest the 320 as it is a little lighter which will help for the long battles of a big fish. the 330 doesnt cast so well which is ok if your in a boat but should u ever plan on fishing the shore the 320 is the way to go as u can cast a great distance.
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

I have a Calcutta 700 with no worm gear, would that do ok for the dinos?  Thanks for the replies btw.

salmonlander

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »

Your Calcutta will be fine

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »

Your question asked needs more info provided..... ;)

Do you plan on shore fishing, or boat? This question will answer what type of rod you will use!

Do you plan on fishing dinos lots? This will answer your reel question! Penns are not a bad reel, but their drags get "stcky" fast, don't stay smooth and can burn out easliy (at least the older ones I use to use).... as Rantalot said, open face, no worm gear because the can wear out fast and cause a good day to be bad!

I have 6 techniums for my boat, best boat rod I have used, wouldn't want to use it as a shore rod though!

Reels? I might look at the TLD20's for a good entry reel, from there you have the Fin-Nor (good reel), Avets (great reel) and the Penn international series (also great reels!)

What is your budget??

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »

Your question asked needs more info provided..... ;)

Do you plan on shore fishing, or boat? This question will answer what type of rod you will use!

Do you plan on fishing dinos lots? This will answer your reel question! Penns are not a bad reel, but their drags get "stcky" fast, don't stay smooth and can burn out easliy (at least the older ones I use to use).... as Rantalot said, open face, no worm gear because the can wear out fast and cause a good day to be bad!

I have 6 techniums for my boat, best boat rod I have used, wouldn't want to use it as a shore rod though!

Reels? I might look at the TLD20's for a good entry reel, from there you have the Fin-Nor (good reel), Avets (great reel) and the Penn international series (also great reels!)

What is your budget??

If you look at the original post he clearly says from a boat.

Techniums are a good choice I also like the Trophys as well. Penn 330, the TLD20 both will handle any sturgeon you hook.

Bobo needs to get another boat to get back on the sturgeon train........

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »

If you look at the original post he clearly says from a boat.

Techniums are a good choice I also like the Trophys as well. Penn 330, the TLD20 both will handle any sturgeon you hook.

Bobo needs to get another boat to get back on the sturgeon train........

Sorry I missed the boat part..... :-[

But I don't totally agree with the Penn and Tld20 handling any sturgeon! Maybe a couple of times, but not on a regular basis, IHMO they will fail on you or cause a loss of a big fish...... do some checking and if you are looking at doing a lot of dino fishing, see what the guides use. I have several 320 and 330's at home that gave up with big fish, along with a few others!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »

Many top guides use TLD20's exclusively. All of my sturgeon are caught on well used TLD20's and I've never seen one fail on a fish.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »

i have a rapala magnum sturgeon rod, and paired it with a penn 330. it gets the job done. i have used a shimano TLD 20 and enjoyed the experience... 
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!