Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big chief/ Little chief smokers  (Read 24531 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Big chief/ Little chief smokers
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »

I've been wanted to buy a smoker for my fish and other applications and have been looking at buying a big or little chief. would love a bradley but I can't justify spending that much right now.
Any people who own a big or little chief smoker how do you like them? How do you control temperature and monitor temp? Is there an area to place a thermometer? I know the heat is constant and cannot be turned up or down..so do you spritz water to cool down the chips or what? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Also have you ever smoked anything other than fish in this brand of smoker and did the product turn out well?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Big chief/ Little chief smokers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »

How do you control temperature and monitor temp?

You can't unless you consider unplugging them controlling the temperature. If you want a drier fish it might take days if the fillet is thick. I use to add some glowing charcoals in a can to decrease the drying time.  Now I have to other smokers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:27:20 AM »

Did you find it did a decent job of smoking fish though?

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:35 AM »

We used to use one way back when I was a teenager the fish always turned out okay, but after having a bradley this past season I will recommend you save your pennies for one

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »

I have both a Big Chief and Little Chief. Both does a good job of smoking my fish.

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

Don't throw out the box!

It can be handy to regulate temperature.

Either Chief will be fine and as always your results will largely depend on how good a cook you are the smoker only does part of the job.

doja

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

Check this out first; http://www.wellscan.ca/Bradley-Portable-Propane-Smoker.html

According to the specs it is the same size of cooking area as the normal sized bradly but at a much better price AND you can take it camping.... Don't think the little chief can do that.

I've never seen or tried it but worth checking out... goes to 250f so you can do more than smoking fish... Pork, chicken, the list goes on....

Berrys price... $200

The above price... $85!!! :o :o :o :o

Aside that have used the little chief and it works, not in the cold or wind well but the box might help...

Have also built one that was much bigger with just a portable cooking stove element plus some wood that worked well. Although I'd probably use metal for a longer lasting unit and a temp control(easy adjust to whether) but the cost goes up... still cheaper than a bradly though and custom.

And now have a BBQ (7 in 1 functions) that also smokes (can go pretty low temp wise, 120~ easy mid summer) amongst other things.... I like not having to buy pucks as I hear there not cheap....

One advantage to my BBQ style and the little chief is the rack can sit in the fridge to dry properly for best results. The best result I got were from this batch, scroll down a few posts; http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25148.msg237022#msg237022

I let it sit in the fridge till the pellicle formed properly and I believe it took a min 24hrs and you don't want it sitting out at room temp when it is warm out!!!

Keep this in mind when buying a unit as I'd imagine (have not used) the normal bradly units would have to have something made to put the racks in the fridge... not a big deal... just don't knock it over, lol.

Also check out nog's method... that is where I leaned from.... the master.... I'll NEVER do a slab again!!!!.... unless it is for cooking or something other then eating plain.

Hope this helps,

Doja

PS I've heard that these guys have the best price on pucks too ;)

Planing on putting a steel-head in???..... ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:10:44 AM by doja »

doja

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »

We used to use one way back when I was a teenager the fish always turned out okay, but after having a bradley this past season I will recommend you save your pennies for one

Why don't you recommend he build one with ceder....LOL ;)  :D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »

Check this out first; http://www.wellscan.ca/Bradley-Portable-Propane-Smoker.html

According to the specs it is the same size of cooking area as the normal sized bradly but at a much better price AND you can take it camping.... Don't think the little chief can do that.

I've never seen or tried it but worth checking out... goes to 250f so you can do more than smoking fish... Pork, chicken, the list goes on....

Berrys price... $200

The above price... $85!!! :o :o :o :o

Aside that have used the little chief and it works, not in the cold or wind well but the box might help...

Have also built one that was much bigger with just a portable cooking stove element plus some wood that worked well. Although I'd probably use metal for a longer lasting unit and a temp control(easy adjust to whether) but the cost goes up... still cheaper than a bradly though and custom.

And now have a BBQ (7 in 1 functions) that also smokes (can go pretty low temp wise, 120~ easy mid summer) amongst other things.... I like not having to buy pucks as I hear there not cheap....

One advantage to my BBQ style and the little chief is the rack can sit in the fridge to dry properly for best results. The best result I got were from this batch, scroll down a few posts; http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25148.msg237022#msg237022

I let it sit in the fridge till the pellicle formed properly and I believe it took a min 24hrs and you don't want it sitting out at room temp when it is warm out!!!

Keep this in mind when buying a unit as I'd imagine (have not used) the normal bradly units would have to have something made to put the racks in the fridge... not a big deal... just don't knock it over, lol.

Also check out nog's method... that is where I leaned from.... the master.... I'll NEVER do a slab again!!!!.... unless it is for cooking or something other then eating plain.

Hope this helps,

Doja

PS I've heard that these guys have the best price on pucks too ;)

Planing on putting a steel-head in???..... ;D
That smoker looks good but not entirely sure if I want a propane run smoker..perhaps its easier than running an extension cord from my garage. I'll definately do some research on it. I would like the ability to smoke meats as well but if I can only do fish thats ok too. I'm guessing the Big/little chiefs are not capable of smoking meat properly?

doja

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »

That smoker looks good but not entirely sure if I want a propane run smoker..perhaps its easier than running an extension cord from my garage. I'll definately do some research on it. I would like the ability to smoke meats as well but if I can only do fish thats ok too. I'm guessing the Big/little chiefs are not capable of smoking meat properly?

What are your concerns with propane? If you have a yard just place it away from the house and off the ground so cats can get at it, lol. The same "should" be applied with a little chief too if left unattested.... but I doubt most people do.

Also, looking at it the adapter will fit a larger tank but if you are worried about fire then the smaller tank will have less potential than a larger one. I'd also place the tank away from the unit instead of on top with an extension.

Not much different than a gas fire place... and it should have some safety's built into it...I'd check that fore sure!!! If not then make sure to keep animals out!!!

I use a BBQ one (propane) and it is nice as it isn't too dry which seems to help with making a product that is more consistent. The element heat ones create a dryer heat that is ok but don't over do it... as it is not as forgiving I find.

Been a while but I don't believe a little or big chief and do other meats as they are meant for fish and stuff and not really meant to go over 140~ which is ideal for smoking fish. I believe you need 160f to cook foods safely? You'd know better than me, lol. I've only done fish.

But I'd definitely ask them about the safety features... but if there were none I wouldn't sweat it. Haven't had problems with mine yet... and there are many propane style ones.

Also, Mine has a adapter that goes on the tank so the flow is controlled long before the burner (about 8' away from smoker) so if something happens the flame will be small and of little concern.... I'd think you could do the same to this one if you are worried? :-\

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »

My concern with that propane model is that it use aluminum covers, looks like foil or something. If you could make a custom box to fit over the racks it could be ok. Definitely like that it can reach 250 degrees, more versatile. Best price is that website for sure. Sells for 99 on the Bradley site.

doja

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:57:14 AM »

Didn't think of that... wonder what the little chief is made out of?

Also I wonder if you can spray an enamel or ceramic type paint that would provide a barrier?

I say this cuz mine is a BBQ/smoker and is probably just steel with paint (I think some kinda of high heat enamel or ceramic or mix) I was going to refinish mine and re-paint cuz it gets a little beat up when I put it in my dish washer, lol. Easy clean though, lol.

Don't know how well it will bond to a non-ridged shell but if it does it's an easy fix

Could also make a ceder box cover... but it "might be" more of a fire risk.... just ask nice fish, lol.

Also when I start a new smoker I`ll do a dry run and coat the inside with smoke resin first just to seal it.

let me know what you do as I'm curious...

Ya, weird how pricing works... Mine was under $100 from wallmart as a trial run (no longer in canada) but from the manufacture it is like $140 plus shipping???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:04:11 AM by doja »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »

The chiefs have a thin aluminum casing.
If the aluminum foil cover things were not 25 per pack of 3 I think it's the best deal. I just might have to save up for a Bradley or something similar.

doja

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »

This is what I have... Not for everybody but I needed a new BBQ and being it does much more I'm quite happy. I modified mine slightly to accommodate more fish and for better results although 1 mod was not needed as I now hang all my fish for better results however I "acquired" some extra parts (another barrel) to double the size... but havn't used it yet...

I'm also thinking of building a larger box to put over top for very large batches of fish but haven't needed it yet...

Here's the link; http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smoker7in1.html

Just thought I'd throw out an alternative... and how many people do you know of that have a BBQ/smoker that fits into a dishwasher, LOL. Makes for a real easy clean and is probably the cleanest around!!!