Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big chief/ Little chief smokers  (Read 24540 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Big chief/ Little chief smokers
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 01:42:44 AM »

That's a pretty sweet BBQ. Did you order that online or buy locally? I'm actually looking for a new BBQ as well since my old one is rusting out. Can smoke meat on there and everything. Fish as well of course

doja

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:36:52 AM »

I bought it from walmart oddly enough... It was in the flyer on sale for cheap ($100) and for some reason they were only here for a very short time??? I think people just overlook them as it is well.... walmart and some people wouldn't be caught dead in there. I know costco has one of their products (huge barrel style grill!) and they seem to be a fair sized company in the usa.

You would have to buy from them online OR see if a store in the states (maybe here?) might have them closer and for less.... maybe... A quick check shows no one close has them. However with the economy slowing down people don't stock much anymore but if they have an account they might be able to order in if you ask.

I like it. The flame is a good distance away and not direct so over cooking or flaming is never an issue which I really like (lol). It's a 16" round grill. The only thing about it I will mention is that when cooking on high the flame under neath kinda sounds like a blow torch... Never bothered me but thought I'd throw it out.

It also has a flame disperser tray that is removable for easy, simple cleaning... So easy to clean!

I also put tinfoil around the bottom as when smoking on low the flame can blow out from wind. Best smoked fish I've had came from it.... But I've also perfected my technique. I've even brought it out for a BBQ at the park as it is fairly light (not the tank though, lol.) But they have 5 and 10 pound tanks...

It is a compromise but works in my favor as it is so much more than a regular BBQ. I love the fact that I can put it in my dish washer :D I just take out the top rack and I think I can fit all of it (that I'd want to) in one load. maybe 2.... I forget. But I'm sure it's hard on the paint... But paint is pretty cheap so a light polish and paint touch up here and there is far, far, far easier than re-painting a dirty typical BBQ (hence why they are thrown away). And I suspect that after I re-paint it will be better then factory as I won't go light with the paint... They did like anything else.

Right now it is sitting in my living room and doesn't smell at all!!! Unlike a smoker which you can't (or is hard) to clean. Threw away my old one as it wasn't cleanable and unless you have a garage you can't keep it around.

If you are interested you can borrow it and see what you think before having to buy online without seeing or using it... Not using it much yet. Maybe hit the flow one day and you can take it home with you till you get a feel for it and bring it back on another trip? Have a good feeling that steelhead fishing is going to be good this year... and the best is just around the corner!!!!!!! Last time I did quite well and this year I am far better so hoping for 2-3 fish days!

My email is not hidden so drop a line if interested (in BBQ or fishing or both).

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »

doja

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »

Hmm, I buy mine for $100... on the site you can order (probably tax free) for $139+ shipping... and they want $239 plus tax.... Sounds kinda like a rip off :-\

If they price match then I'd be impressed but not at the moment...

PS, I've found stuff cheaper in Canadian tire on regular price than in wholesale sports (only been there once and that's it!).... and Canadian tire is not known to be a good price unless on sale.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:42:12 PM by doja »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »

Yeah I was just posting a link, i've never actually been to wholesale sports but I browse their website

doja

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »

Yeah I was just posting a link, i've never actually been to wholesale sports but I browse their website

It's a good alternative... Just funny how everything has gone down in price but this goes up??? Strange.

But probably the only ones around with it... Unfortunately.

Ironically that was the reason I went there... for something no one else had... IN stock... And I paid for it, lol

Definitely good to know though,

Thanks man!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:09:14 PM by doja »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »

You can control the temp in a Little/Big Chief by covering sides of the smoker with cardboard.  3 sides and the top covered gave the perfect temp smoking steelhead candy over Christmas.

grease line

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »

As mentioned, cardboard is very valuable for retaining heat. Both chief models are great smokers! Smokers are best simple!

If you're looking for one cheap, build your own. All you need is ANY clean metal enclosure (a wood or cardboard box will even do if fires are not a worry).

45 gallon drum, old fridge, whatever. Put a hotplate in the bottom with an pie plate or something similar with chips in it.

Lean wood or get cardboard boxes to regulate temp...you could even install thermostat to turn off when it hit a certain temp.

The product I've made with cheap, homemade smokers is every bit as good as what I've made with chiefs. If you want a cold smoker, it is best to do it in the fall or spring months when it is cooler outside. Get a computer fan, wire it so it pushes smoke from a separate smoke box through about 20 feet of aluminum dryer tubing to your smoke box.

Problem with the chiefs is capacity. That is what forced me to make my own.