Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lack of etiquette on the river  (Read 21341 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: lack of etiquette on the river
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »

Pretty much where you go on the Vedder someone will be downstream from where you are. What is considered a reasonable distance to start ? Or does one go the very top (Limit Hole), take a number and when your number is called you start working downstream. ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 09:49:30 PM »

You guys think the Vedder is bad?
How about fishing the Stamp when you only have so much shore fishing accessible to you (and you just walked 50 mins to get to it over hills with no trails) and a freaking guide boat (who can fish anywhere) parks 20 feet below you, when they have watched you fish down for the last 20 mins.

These guys are apparently "professional" yet they still do it too.
Everyone just needs to take a chill pill, and like one guy already stated, watch the water they don't fish.
Already pulled a few fish out behind guide boats this year and their clients didn't look too happy  ;D

And Nice Fish, you have to be kidding me.
Low holing is low holing. I'm pissed if someone goes into the next run below me at times when I'm at the tailout of the run up and its obvious I'm working downriver.
100 feet is no where near far enough, try 2 runs downriver or even more. Ask if you can go below if you think they are fence posting.
The guide boats pull alot more fish then a shore angler fishing down and the clients were probally astonished that they missed one.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »

The guide boats pull alot more fish then a shore angler fishing down and the clients were probally astonished that they missed one.

Last few days have been slow, with only 2-3 fish boated all day from the guides I talked to (that they had heard of, including themselves).
So I would say they weren't too happy since they may have not been the lucky boat that day lol.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »

NiceFish I figured that you would understand that I was referring to a piece of water such as a run or pool, however I guess we weren't both on the same page so to speak. Seeing as how most steelhead get caught in the tailout, and that when you're supposed to start at the head so everyone has an equal chance in any given piece of water.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:24:29 PM by Rodney »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »

As the OP already stated ASK BEFORE moving below the guy, a good angler makes observations before fishing  ::) I get so POed when I get low holed I could knock the guy out. However I would then be spending time in court rather than on the river.
What if that guy turns out to be a mixed martial artist and you get knocked out and left on the cold stones. Violence has no place on the river keep it in the bars and rings :P
[

Fish Slayer

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »

What if that guy turns out to be a mixed martial artist and you get knocked out and left on the cold stones. Violence has no place on the river keep it in the bars and rings :P

Did I not say I would then end up spending more time in court than fishing? Yes I did, sadly it also means there are too many losers who sprint for the tailings and low hole people as well now a days! I'm not some young adult that needs lecturing here about who, what, where, or when to pick a battle either, trust me I can hold my own if needed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:30:54 AM by Fish Slayer »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »

You guys think the Vedder is bad?
How about fishing the Stamp when you only have so much shore fishing accessible to you (and you just walked 50 mins to get to it over hills with no trails) and a freaking guide boat (who can fish anywhere) parks 20 feet below you, when they have watched you fish down for the last 20 mins.

These guys are apparently "professional" yet they still do it too.
Everyone just needs to take a chill pill, and like one guy already stated, watch the water they don't fish.
Already pulled a few fish out behind guide boats this year and their clients didn't look too happy  ;D

And Nice Fish, you have to be kidding me.
Low holing is low holing. I'm pissed if someone goes into the next run below me at times when I'm at the tailout of the run up and its obvious I'm working downriver.
100 feet is no where near far enough, try 2 runs downriver or even more. Ask if you can go below if you think they are fence posting.

If you think I 'm gonna go two runs down river from you so I can fish, your nuts !!!! I definitely won't low hole you but two runs ??? Give me a break dude. If it was this way, we'd need to have an angler number restriction on the bloody river. Remember where we are pal. It's not like the old days when you could go out and see only a few guys most days. There's swarms of people out there now. I think 100 feet is definitely not enough room either, but not 2 entire runs or even more ? I guess it depends on how long the runs are though, but be realistic, it's the most populated river {Vedder} around here. When I do go, I usually just head somewhere else right away and let the guy fish if their already in the spot I wanted to fish.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:45 AM »

unfortunately the Vedder is too heavily used to prevent over crowding...the compromise is to always approach a run topside and assess the situation from that position...you can always tell if someone is working the system or just fence posting...but on the flip side, people walk the river to find where fish are holding and when they come across them their tendency is to stay put.

i remember a few years ago these two guys where coming down river at a blazing pace when they caught up to me...they asked if they could pass, so naturally i was happy to oblige...  shortly afterwards one of them missed a hit no more that 30 ft from where i was fishing and all of a sudden they lost all interest in working their way down...(let me remind you, i was also working the system...just not as fast as they were, initially).

the moral of the story, i let them in because i thought they wanted to work their way down river...not so, they were looking for the fish and when they found them,  etiquette became a subject of interpretation.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:56:37 AM by blaydRnr »

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:47 AM »

whats wrong with rotating through the run... first person at the run fishes down.. next person follows and so on. low holing is an issue when it comes to steelheading but fence posting is just as bad. cast, step, cast, cast , step... you will do better the more water you cover when steelheading anyways.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:44:33 AM by abito »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 02:22:23 AM »

whats wrong with rotating through the run... first person at the run fishes down.. next person follows and so on. low holing is an issue when it comes to steelheading but fence posting is just as bad. cast, step, cast, cast , step... you will do better the more water you cover when steelheading anyways.

because the Vedder River is 40 kms long and is easily accessible all away around...you either fish the meat holes and get aggravated or practice true steelheading, bushwacking away from the crowds.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »

Did I not say I would then end up spending more time in court than fishing? Yes I did, sadly it also means there are too many losers who sprint for the tailings and low hole people as well now a days! I'm not some young adult that needs lecturing here about who, what, where, or when to pick a battle either, trust me I can hold my own if needed.
Good for you we need more men like you in this world!
[

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »

Long before I learned about the etiquette of not cutting in below somebody, I decided it was logical to fish up a run rather than down.   So I always politely cut in below people rather than above.   It was much later that I learned that fly fishers, particularly spey fishers, work down a run and don't like others cutting in below.   The point is that many newbies just don't know about the conventional etiquette or even that there is an etiquette.

On urban streams like the Vedder, hell fish where there is room.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:23:14 PM by VAGAbond »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

On urban streams like the Vedder, hell fish where there is room.

Most logical bit of advice given so far!   :o  If the purists here don't like this then they should find another river to fish on.

Trying to educate everyone on a river like the Vedder is impossible and as shown in some of the comments here it could lead to altercations....

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »

If you think I 'm gonna go two runs down river from you so I can fish, your nuts !!!! I definitely won't low hole you but two runs ??? Give me a break dude. If it was this way, we'd need to have an angler number restriction on the bloody river. Remember where we are pal.

First of all, remember where you are  :P I'm on the island, very much enjoying it and not having to deal with what goes on at the Vedder.

I ALWAYS give 2 runs or more, unless I ask to go below.

I myself think that is a fair distance. I guess other people do not think so, but that is fine by me. I only get pissed when people walk into the same run as me 20 feet below me. If you go down to the next run though, don't freak out when I go around you to the run below you like I have had other people do in the past. You just did it to me and you don't think I'm gonna do it back to you? Give me a break... When you're out on the river you should expect to get back what you do to others.

Most of the time when I'm around people in a run I want to fish, I watch them. Watch where they miss and what they are using. ALL of my fish have been behind people this year, and I'm not afraid to fish behind someone. But still, I HATE when someone walks into the tailout of the run I'm working towards and pulls out a fish first cast. I got there first, maybe you should have shown up an hour ago if you wanted THAT spot so bad. People like this generally get an ear full, not normally from me, but from my buddy that is with me  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:37:06 PM by Rodney »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

since this is on the topic of etiquette what do you guys think about the people that set the hook at the end of each drift?

Maybe we can touch on flossing as well.......      ;D  ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[