Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lack of etiquette on the river  (Read 21348 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
lack of etiquette on the river
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

just a heads up to novice steelheaders out there....when approaching a run and theres 2 guys fishing the middle...dont have your buddy park above them and then you cut in below. its a beak maneuver, let them fish the run through and work above them...if you really want to fish the tailout and there not moving fast enough ask first. its not the first time this has happened and wont be the last but many of these guys recieve a harsh tongue lashing for doing it yet continue to do it
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: lack of etiquette on the river
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »

just a heads up to novice steelheaders out there....when approaching a run and theres 2 guys fishing the middle...dont have your buddy park above them and then you cut in below. its a beak maneuver, let them fish the run through and work above them...if you really want to fish the tailout and there not moving fast enough ask first. its not the first time this has happened and wont be the last but many of these guys recieve a harsh tongue lashing for doing it yet continue to do it

Often the 2 guys in the middle have parked themselves there and are not moving.

What does etiquette say about how fast you should be moving down the run?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Slayer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:54 PM »

What does etiquette say about how fast you should be moving down the run?

As the OP already stated ASK BEFORE moving below the guy, a good angler makes observations before fishing  ::) I get so POed when I get low holed I could knock the guy out. However I would then be spending time in court rather than on the river.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

Exactly.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

how much of a run is reserved? I "cut in" a good 100/150 feet of length on two guys standing up top holding hands over a smoke. I'm not about to go up there and join you but I gave you more than enough space to "work the run" sure enough as soon as my float hits the water, one of the guys is doing to fast paced walk "working the run" towards me. The river isn't reserved seating, it's general admission. Aggressive behavior will only provoke me...

Although, like I said, if you are fishing near other people, I think coming in some distance below them is fine, but if there isn't a lot of room in the area you are in or there's only that one "good area of water" that doesn't have the luxury of seemingly tons of space then i suppose you have to ask. Generally though I find my self walking away from people as much as I can as I prefer to not have to deal with either a) having someone cut in on me or b) having one of the apparent owners of the river recite the riot act on me should i offend them in some way (although it has never happened)

Fish Slayer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »

NiceFish hopping in below anyone is low holing and is very poor sportsmanship. The guys at the top could have just missed or briefly hooked a fish and are now trying to get it again. Good sportsmanship is to ask before cutting in below anyone. It's almost never practiced during salmon season however steelhead season is totally different. If the guys are fence posting they will usually look at you puzzled after you have asked them to cut in and then 99% of the time say go ahead still looking puzzled lol. It's common curtesy much like when leaving a store and holding the door briefly when someone is right behind you. It's easy as hell to do, only takes a brief second, and makes life way more enjoyable for everyone involved.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »

Well then I guess you should take the time to ask every single angler who is fishing above you on the river since, you're low holing a lot of anglers.... I'm sorry but 100 plus feet of room in my opinion isn't low holing anyone. The only way I could see it being so is if you are the only two people on the river in sight, but where "low holing" becomes an issue in the vedder, you're not talking about 100 feet you're talking about 20 feet or less really.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

On the Vedder...really? I grew up in Sleese Park in the 70's.  I have been fishing since. The Vedder...mmm not so much any more. I get the tourist attraction and the economics. I understand that you are going to have a flock of rookies out there. I choose to fish elsewhere. BUT, if I did fish the system I would not assume that everyone is in the know. Maybe everyone should chill the *(&$0 out and not rage when someone drops in on them. It is never going to stop and that is the burden you take on when fishing a system so close to the city. Sure, what are the semantic boundaries, guidelines, rules yadda yadda yadda. Bottom line, someone is always going to offend at some point. Go fish somewhere else, upper lower, hike or another river. They should sell PEZ dispensers with ATAVAN at Fred's.

insert John Denver song here:
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

100 plus can be low holing if the good water in between anglers is easily workable in a short period and a guy runs into the next sweet spot down or something when they are only 10- 20 casts away on the move.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »

Low holing is low holing. Regardless of how many feet of water is infront of you, if a decent angler who is looking to cover water, steps into a pool or run with nothing on his mind but fishing the piece of water down till he/she reaches that nice productive seam or tailout or whatever it may be, the last thing he/she wants is some A Hole stepping in front of them as brazen as hell and fishing the nice water straight of the bat. Fishing etiquette as i know it is a universal respectful way of fishing known world wide and the no.1 golden rule would be start at the top and fish down. Regardless of the situation its only good manners to speak to people whom are on a stretch of water before you, chances are if their not moving downstream then theyl gladly let you step in.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

amen.

mikeyman

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »

If there are peole already fishing the run and not moving just ask if its okay to fish thru. I have never had anyone say no before. A good tip is to sit and wait for a few minutes until they are done fishing it thru. Watch where they are casting and pay attention to any areas they missed. I can't count the number of times I have walked in and nailed a fish right behind multiple fishermen that didn't touch a thing.  I think after the fish get so much gear tossed at them in main holding areas they take off or spook out and hide. Or if there are a few hooked rest the spot for 30 mins and fish it again. Fish usually settle back into the best holding areas.  HAHA! Talk about pissing somebody off catching a fish after they just fished it. There is lots of river, just depends on how much you are willing to walk.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »

:D :D ;D....good luck, there's always a bigger fish looking to eat the smaller one!

I was planing to just toss a few rocks in the water or something juvenile like that, in fact it's my sole mission now to low hole anyone when possible.

I am now fishing from the bottom of a run working my way up, if anyone high holes me it's gonna be lights out.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

I am now fishing from the bottom of a run working my way up, if anyone high holes me it's gonna be lights out.

I kinda like fishing the bottom of a run first as well......

When someone low holes me (and they will)  ......it doesn't bother me.  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

You guys think the Vedder is bad?
How about fishing the Stamp when you only have so much shore fishing accessible to you (and you just walked 50 mins to get to it over hills with no trails) and a freaking guide boat (who can fish anywhere) parks 20 feet below you, when they have watched you fish down for the last 20 mins.

These guys are apparently "professional" yet they still do it too.
Everyone just needs to take a chill pill, and like one guy already stated, watch the water they don't fish.
Already pulled a few fish out behind guide boats this year and their clients didn't look too happy  ;D

And Nice Fish, you have to be kidding me.
Low holing is low holing. I'm pissed if someone goes into the next run below me at times when I'm at the tailout of the run up and its obvious I'm working downriver.
100 feet is no where near far enough, try 2 runs downriver or even more. Ask if you can go below if you think they are fence posting.