Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lack of etiquette on the river  (Read 21332 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: lack of etiquette on the river
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »

Maybe we can touch on flossing as well.......      ;D  ;D  ;D
Tomorrow will be a good day to try it out on the Vedder. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »

Tomorrow will be a good day to try it out on the Vedder. ;D ;D ;D

We can pretend it's sockeye season on the Fraser....    ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »

On urban streams like the Vedder, hell fish where there is room.
Agreed. This is the Vedder the most heavily fished river in B.C for Steelhead,not theThompson.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

First of all, remember where you are  :P I'm on the island, very much enjoying it and not having to deal with what goes on at the Vedder.
The stamp is just as crowded as the Vedder.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:54 PM »

The stamp is just as crowded as the Vedder.

No where close...
Maybe at popular spots, but if you walk a little (which people don't seem to understand) I was alone ALL day.
I saw MAYBE 20 people on a Sunday on the banks, all fence posting in the meat holes. I walked away and found beauty water all to myself.

If you went to Lickman (probably equivalent to the Falls or Slide pool) you would have 50 guys in sight easy. I saw 15 between those 2 spots on a weekend.

And who says I fish the Stamp every time  :P
My little coho flow might be better for things other than coho maybe  ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »

No where close...
Maybe at popular spots, but if you walk a little (which people don't seem to understand) I was alone ALL day.
I saw MAYBE 20 people on a Sunday on the banks, all fence posting in the meat holes. I walked away and found beauty water all to myself.

If you went to Lickman (probably equivalent to the Falls or Slide pool) you would have 50 guys in sight easy. I saw 15 between those 2 spots on a weekend.

And who says I fish the Stamp every time  :P
My little coho flow might be better for things other than coho maybe  ;D
Okay ED if you walk away from the meat holes then yes like the Vedd u can find nice water to yourself.My buddy who lives on the island fishes your coho flow and the pics he has sent me look very similar to yours,nice hoes on the fly and yes that little river does get a small run of steel. ;DMaybe u will run into him out there sometime his name is Dave.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »

Okay ED if you walk away from the meat holes then yes like the Vedd u can find nice water to yourself.My buddy who lives on the island fishes your coho flow and the pics he has sent me look very similar to yours,nice hoes on the fly and yes that little river does get a small run of steel. ;DMaybe u will run into him out there sometime his name is Dave.

I know, hooked one by accident last year fishing cutties ;D
Probably have already met him....

And I dunno,
When I was back home I was having trouble finding places to myself on the Vedder with even 20-30 mins of walking. Crazy busy out there.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 08:51:27 AM »

I know, hooked one by accident last year fishing cutties ;D
Probably have already met him....

And I dunno,
When I was back home I was having trouble finding places to myself on the Vedder with even 20-30 mins of walking. Crazy busy out there.

Depends on when you go...I dont start till the New Year and this past week has seen  few anglers in the areas i like to fish.Fewer anglers after the holidays are over and the hiking and bush whacking involved and the fact it was cold kept the #s down which made it very enjoyable.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »

fence posting is just as bad. cast, step, cast, cast , step... you will do better the more water you cover when steelheading anyways.

Yes, but a couple things to remember.
There are a number of experienced anglers out there who have fished for steelhead since before many of you were born.
They have probably logged more fish than most of you will ever see.
They have walked more river in there waders than you have in your waders and sneakers combined and they do know etiquette.
And the passion for steelheading is as strong today as it was 40+ years ago.
Unfortunately time takes its toll on the body and they are no longer as quick or sure footed as they once were.
So, don't jump to conclusions that some old guys are fenceposting just 'cuz they're not keeping your pace.
Most all these guys will let you or encourage you to pass when you ask.
REMEMBER: ettiquette works both ways.
They may even give you a tip or two or even tell you what you're doing wrong (it's not that hard to figure out who knows what they're doing and who doesn't)
They know about being young, strong, brazen, cocky and arrogant; but have since mellowed like good scotch.
Poor etiquette has been around as long as good ettiquette (That's how we tell the difference)
Not everyone who APPEARS to be fenceposting is doing it on purpose.

And a lot of the new guys are doing just as they have been told:  "fish everthing" therefore it takes them longer to fish a piece of water.
On the Vedder you must also be patient. Not everyone has a curcit they work.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »

But intentional lowholing?
 That's like budding in line at the movies or in the checkout aisle at the supermarket.

So, if someone is slow; ask to go below and if you're slow working the run let 'em pass or pick up the pace.
"Cuz, quite often when someone is pounding a section of the run they're spooking the fish anyways.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:15:09 AM by Fish or cut bait. »

Fish Slayer

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »

Most logical bit of advice given so far!   :o  If the purists here don't like this then they should find another river to fish on.

Trying to educate everyone on a river like the Vedder is impossible and as shown in some of the comments here it could lead to altercations....

Repetition is the best way to train your mind. Doing it one way on the vedder then another way on the cap is STUPID. If everyone rotated through spots there would be need for this thread at all, it's that simple. Like on the highway left lane is for passing, right hand lane is for traffic. There would be a steady flow of traffic with no congestion if people did it that way. In the end it all boils down to common sense, either you have it, or you don't.

If their is an "old timer" in a spot which I have decided to fish I always give them more time than regular people for the fact that physically they're slower and that they e put in their years of work and now it's time for them to enjoy their hard earned time of freedom from work.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »

Repetition is the best way to train your mind. Doing it one way on the vedder then another way on the cap is STUPID. If everyone rotated through spots there would be need for this thread at all, it's that simple. Like on the highway left lane is for passing, right hand lane is for traffic. There would be a steady flow of traffic with no congestion if people did it that way. In the end it all boils down to common sense, either you have it, or you don't.

If their is an "old timer" in a spot which I have decided to fish I always give them more time than regular people for the fact that physically they're slower and that they e put in their years of work and now it's time for them to enjoy their hard earned time of freedom from work.

We all know how well that bit of common sense is working....   ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

fyrslyer

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »

We all know how well that bit of common sense is working....   ???

Common sense isn't all to common anymore

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »

funny how everyone seems to say that saying...

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

Easiest way is to just go to some where like tamaho or borden creek or thurston meadows and just fish and walk and when u find fish keep fishing it, then when someone comes along u keep moving and just ask people if its cool u fish near em, most will say okay  :) and if they dont just go up a bit where u can still see them from, cus chances are there getting fish  ;D just my 2cents
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.