Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: an affordable vet?  (Read 17607 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
an affordable vet?
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »

Just took my 1 year old bull mastiff into the local vet here on the north shore, facing a possible quite expensive vet bill for multiple xrays and to follow possibly surgery to reconstruct a misaligned joint (joys of large dogs). It's really just the surgery bills that would be tough to swallow, probably in the 1500-2000$ range. He's also developed a cataract so that's another bill of up to 2000 to fix or "remedy"  (man did we ever get the pick of the liter or what? Did I mention he's just 1 year old!?)

ANYWAYS, it seems the vet prices reflect the housing market wherever you go, so with that does anyone have any vets that an honest man can afford (i just rent a suite here theres no way I could afford any sort of ownership of land in this area  :P) ?

doja

Re: an affordable vet?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »

I use to go to one on capilanio road well above the hwy bridge. I forget the name but it was a 24hr I believe also. They were pretty good to me but this was some time ago. Worth looking up...

:-\

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

From what I've noticed, there is a direct correlation of service pricing to market area.  There seems to be some that are just simply more expensive (I'm sure they're worth it) and the rest that price according to what the market conditions in that area dictate.  It's a tough pill to swallow when your facing a huge vet bill...  we have a cat that's cost us in the thousands now for UTI's.  What to do about it is a whole other can that I won't open here but needless to say I feel for you.

If you can stand a drive out to say Langley area, I'm sure you'll get a lower price.  The service varies from clinic to clinic, some nice some don't seem to be in it for our little furries but more for the money.  There is a really good vet in south Langley that's very reasonable.  Hell of a drive but might be worth it.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/British-Columbia/Langley/Zwamborn-Willem-A-Dr/1751568.html

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

The "cheapest" Vet around is on Fraser and 41st in Vancouver.   Atlas Animal Hospital.  Only used them once but by far the cheapest I could find.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »

All vets need to make money, I understand that. This one I went into today was 77 dollars just for the vet to look over my dog, as far as the xrays go, the prices seem to be similar across the board, however it's a crapshoot with surgery prices much like getting a quote on how much to fix your car, all over the place from vet to vet. We have a tough choice to make, as much as we love the dog, he's 1 year old and already has two HUGE problems like this? what does that say for the rest of his life, his other joints, etc. We may have to take the easy way out here as much as we may not want to it may be for the best.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »

The "cheapest" Vet around is on Fraser and 41st in Vancouver.   Atlas Animal Hospital.  Only used them once but by far the cheapest I could find.
I remember taking my old german shepherd there once when she chipped her tooth. That place gave me the worst feeling..vet had blood stains on his jacket, filthy office space. Just seemed shady and was not comfortable taking her there. I've no idea why we didnt take her to our usual vet at the time...may have been in transition from one vet to another at the time.
Vets are expensive all over...but some charge even more...my sister goes to http://www.southburnabyvet.com/index.php and they've always been good. My dog passed away a number of years ago so I'm not too up to date with costs anymore.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »

I remember taking my old german shepherd there once when she chipped her tooth. That place gave me the worst feeling..vet had blood stains on his jacket, filthy office space. Just seemed shady and was not comfortable taking her there. I've no idea why we didnt take her to our usual vet at the time...may have been in transition from one vet to another at the time.
Vets are expensive all over...but some charge even more...my sister goes to http://www.southburnabyvet.com/index.php and they've always been good. My dog passed away a number of years ago so I'm not too up to date with costs anymore.

It's opened 24 hours but when I went there to pick up my dog I found the door locked. After knocking on the door for several minutes the vet finally showed up rubbing his eyes. He had been sleeping in the back.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »

What I would suggest is to get a few more opinions on your dogs joint problems. As the owner you can ask for the xrays that were taken and take them into another vet to get their opinion on the matter.  In some cases with a young dog, you may get lucky and the vet may suggest booking physiotherapy or doing some water exercises with your dog to strengthen the muscles around the joint.  Also you should talk to the breeder you got your dog from to see if hip displaysia has been a problem with his line of dogs. If you do decide to go the surgical route with your dog, it will not be cheap. Better to get a good vet skilled in surgery rather than a fly by night outfit. Also there will be secondary costs as the dog will need some physio to strengthen the muscles after the surgery.  Whatever decision you make, try your best, that is all you can do in situations like this.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:38:22 PM by dennyman »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:55 AM »

What I would suggest is to get a few more opinions on your dogs joint problems. As the owner you can ask for the xrays that were taken and take them into another vet to get their opinion on the matter.  In some cases with a young dog, you may get lucky and the vet may suggest booking physiotherapy or doing some water exercises with your dog to strengthen the muscles around the joint.  Also you should talk to the breeder you got your dog from to see if hip displaysia has been a problem with his line of dogs. If you do decide to go the surgical route with your dog, it will not be cheap. Better to get a good vet skilled in surgery rather than a fly by night outfit. Also there will be secondary costs as the dog will need some physio to strengthen the muscles after the surgery.  Whatever decision you make, try your best, that is all you can do in situations like this.

This is very obviously a mis-alignment of the joint , and it's very noticeable if you compare his two front legs, one is way more developed than the other, this has probably been a problem all along but he's been able to make due but as he's added more weight it's given him more trouble. It's one thing to have these surgeries done and bite the bullet but there is nothing saying it isn't going to be in other joints as well and quite frankly it may just be. I have two bullmastiffs and this one has always been "different" in terms of the way he has developed.

We love our dog but we don't want to see him going under the knife every year or so, he's not a science project and we are not trying to play god here. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »

Sounds to me that your gut is saying to put the pooch down.  Sometimes it makes sense.  Like you said, two large problems for a one year old pup could be a sign of things to come.  Everyone is different regarding their pets, some wouldn't put their pet down over their dead body, others are more rational thinkers.  Are years of physiotherapy, possible complications, ongoing issues etc, doing the best service to the animal itself?

Either way, tough call.  I wish you and the pooch the best of luck.

Brian

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

yeah this is why I drive an old beater and not a newer car.  Five years ago when my dog was 9mo he had a bit of a gibbled skippy walk and I found nothing wrong with his paws etc.  Took him to our Vet.

Vet took Xrays, recommended TPO surgery which was done at another clinic.

We had surgery done at a  in Vancouver on Boundary Road.  Cost was very high, but we plan on keeping our dog around til he packs it in at age 16-18 so it's only $500/year, amortized over his lifespan.

Surgery isn't something to monkey around with.  You wouldn't let your best buddy open you up to remove your appendix, even though he's cleaned hundreds of fish, would you?

Other option is to get another dog.  But only a non-dog owner would ever say that.

doja

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »

This is very obviously a mis-alignment of the joint , and it's very noticeable if you compare his two front legs, one is way more developed than the other, this has probably been a problem all along but he's been able to make due but as he's added more weight it's given him more trouble. It's one thing to have these surgeries done and bite the bullet but there is nothing saying it isn't going to be in other joints as well and quite frankly it may just be. I have two bullmastiffs and this one has always been "different" in terms of the way he has developed.

We love our dog but we don't want to see him going under the knife every year or so, he's not a science project and we are not trying to play god here.  

I once met a lady who had a dog that was jumping around more so than a normal dog of it's kind and she said that he could not do so before and in fact could not even walk properly!!!

She took him to a vet on Fraser hwy in surrey that uses a "alternative" methods like acupuncture for example and it apparently worked quite well. I've also heard other good story's about her.

I personally believe that surgery and stuff should be used as a last chance approach,  but it makes vets a lot of money.... and seems to be the first approach.

Give her a call and see what she says; 604 597 1913, her name is Dennis I believe (it's a her!)

And call around! My dog once ate a fish hook with line attached. When I pulled the line the hook obliviously started to poke her. :o She did some things that made me think she was going to die right there. :'( it passed ;D and when I got back to civilization and the nearest phone I started calling vets. I was broke and still young with little cash and every vet was saying do this and do that and that meant BIG$$$$.

Well.... I finally called one (about 14 vets later) and explained my situation. She said that instead of doing all this stuff, just watch the dog for any signs of problem. If there are no problems then there is no concern. If there are then Bring her in for xrays and stuff.

Well... she is fine to this day and I guess the hook "passed". I think this was in part to the line being attached and keeping it pointed the "right way" well on its journey but the biology of life is amazing and is quite resilient.

This lady I spoke to answered the phone and may have not even been a vet, but she knew what she was talking about and helped me big time!!!

Ever since, every one that answers the phones knows little if anything and just says bring her (and your wallet) in and we'll do stuff.... NO THANKS

I really wished I had her number and all I know is she is in chilliwack area.

BUT, the moral of the story is look around... do your homework and ask questions.... as there are only a few good ones in any profession.

I bet you could spend all day calling vets within the lower mainland but that is far cheaper than going to the wrong one and doing something not needed.

Her is another one I liked and my sister went to. http://angelanimalhospital.net/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:48:10 AM by doja »

Kenwee

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »

It may be a good idea to google search the vet you might bring your dog to. There will be people giving their experiences of vets they use. From there you can make an informed decision and bring your dog to a vet that will be most experienced and your dog will be in good hands. Hope you find a good vert for him! Good luck.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »

http://www.bullmastiffsonline.com/health.html

The Bullmastiff looks like a big Pug which is scary.

read this page in particular

http://www.bullmastiffsonline.com/hip.html

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

I think that we've come to our decision to have him put down. Coming home from work he's even worse, he can't find any comfort in where he lays down and he is now limping on his front leg and rear legs (this is what i had feared whether or not this was going to be problematic in a few of his joints). We love our do, we really do but I think this is for the best. (We also have another bull mastiff who is two years old and is problem free thus far).

As far as the vets go - I've always taken "due diligence" in whom I take my dogs to as I've moved to 3 different cities in the past 2 years, we've been to several. Some great some not so good, I was just looking for ones that have great service with reasonable price points, however these surgeries appear to be similar prices across the board as well.

It's so difficult beacuse he is still just a pup and we have to make a decision to take away a member of our family. I feel like such a terrible human being but in my gut it just feels like the correct decision.

Thank you for your input Brian, I admire your loyalty to your pooch and wish the best of health to him, I wish it was as simple for my guy, however we are in at about 2000 dollars already this year on vet bills for him (other issues he's had dehydration and direreha as a puppy, testing, bloodwork xrays done when he was 6 months to figure out why he can't seem to hold his bladder (he's since improved somewhat but will still urinate in his crate if left alone for 7-8 hours).