Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum Retention Question  (Read 5981 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Chum Retention Question
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »

Okay, so the chum fishery closes, come one hour after sunset tomorrow night on the rest of our local flows IE: Stave, Nicomen Slough, Harrison.

My question is this;

Can an angler {me} fish one flow ie; the Harrison River, retain the legal amount of my chum there, then move to a different flow ie; Stave River and proceed to retain my legal amount of chum there also, all in the same day ?? I would then be going home with the legal amount of chum from two different Rivers.......... Can I do this ?  I can't find anything in the regs in regards to this question.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:42:48 PM by Bently »

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Chum Retention Question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »

yes as long as you dont have more than 4 salmon.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »

Like ynot posted, that is fine as long as you don't exceed the limit of four salmon a day. A word of caution though, if you have two chum in your truck from the harrison but a CO observes you putting two more chum from the stave in your truck, although legal, they may suspect you caught all the fish on one river. You would be in the right, but may be a headache to prove.

doja

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »

But you might have to prove that you caught them from different rivers and if a CO finds you with more than the legal limit on or near that flow he may suspect you caught them from the same flow and you might get a ticket for double dipping which is common.

I say this because if you caught a steelhead from the chealis and fished the vedder and was caught in a roadblock he may suspect you just wrote it down and took two from the same flow.

Some people do this, catch a fish then put it in the truck and say it is from another river and proceed to catch another one.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

Like ynot posted, that is fine as long as you don't exceed the limit of four salmon a day. A word of caution though, if you have two chum in your truck from the harrison but a CO observes you putting two more chum from the stave in your truck, although legal, they may suspect you caught all the fish on one river. You would be in the right, but may be a headache to prove.

This is another thing that crossed my mind. If I have chum dressed on ice {head on}, in my cooler from the Harrison, then go to the Stave and proceed to do the same thing, they can't tell the age of the fish {what time it was caught}, so I'm guessing most CO's would be in the right mind to issue a ticket, I guess . This is a sticky situation, I want to do this, being the last chance, but don't want to break any laws, nor do I want confrontation with a CO,and have the possibility of having to defend against a ticket, as I have done nothing wrong. I wish they would have something in the regs about this situation. The only way I see this working without confrontation {that's if I were to get stopped and checked}is to take the first fish home from the first flow, and then go to the second flow and fish again. Being from Richmond , this is not going to happen  ;D ;D I guess I will take my chances.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:31:13 PM by Bently »

purplehelmet

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »

You guys are assuming CO's exist...  They are like urban myths--it's pathetic how little enforcement we see--that's why so many people just do whatever out there...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »

My two cents,  we whine about direction from DFO and when they decide to close retention on a fishery that has plummeted this year, we discuss methods to get around it.  My answer to fishermen is to not harvest a chum this year. Give this fishery a chance to rebuild since the numbers are so dismal.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »

My two cents,  we whine about direction from DFO and when they decide to close retention on a fishery that has plummeted this year, we discuss methods to get around it.  My answer to fishermen is to not harvest a chum this year. Give this fishery a chance to rebuild since the numbers are so dismal.

This is a hijack post, nothing to do with the original question. Chum are allowed to be retained until tomorrow 1 hour after sunset. Stick with the thread or start your own topic please, thank you.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »

if a situation happens with dfo make sure you take a scale (dna)from each fish,then you have proof from which river they came from.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »

we all have cameras, why not slice the fish or mash a fin with a rock then take a good photo with some landmarks in the background , then go somewhere else...proof

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

we all have cameras, why not slice the fish or mash a fin with a rock then take a good photo with some landmarks in the background , then go somewhere else...proof

Thanks Jim, If I could pull my head out of my my friend, I might have come up with this on my own ;D Great idea !!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »

if a situation happens with dfo make sure you take a scale (dna)from each fish,then you have proof from which river they came from.

They can take the scales themselves if they don't believe me. Another good option, thank you. SEE it doesn't hurt to ask if your unsure. I'm still learning after all these years

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »

You guys are assuming CO's exist...  They are like urban myths--it's pathetic how little enforcement we see--that's why so many people just do whatever out there...

I've been checked twice this year, once during steelhead season, once last week by an undercover CO on the Vedder.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

I've been checked twice this year, once during steelhead season, once last week by an undercover CO on the Vedder.

I like being checked, as I have nothing to hide. And if I see some illegal activity, I can send them in that direction.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

Surprisingly I actually saw a CO this afternoon. He was arriving as I was leaving. Didn't check me though.