Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Tidal Fraser River fall salmon fishery information and updates  (Read 4780 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I've put together an introductory guide for this fishery:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2010/1010_01.html

The fishery opens tomorrow (see fishery notice). This thread is started for people to provide ongoing updates on water condition, catch reports, etc.

Water clarity is pretty poor right now so lure or fly fishing is pretty much out of the question.

Good luck all. :)

fishbuster

Re: 2010 Tidal Fraser River fall salmon fishery information and updates
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Thanks for the update Rod.  Planning on giving barfishing a try tomorrow morning, high tide.  Have you noticed whether the clarity got any better on slack?  Was planning on trying some spoons also.  Last year I had some success doing that.  I'll give a report sometime tomorrow.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »

Does Chum salmon take roe like Coho in tidal Fraser? If not, what is the best set up to catch them? Is it better to fish with rising tide? Is there any good bars from Langley down to the mouth for catching chum? Seems like very little info about chum fishing except the tributaries of Fraser. Not sure why?

fishbuster

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »

I have caught chum barfishing for coho, but it is rare.  Lots of bars to try.  Two bit, poplar and duncan are a few I frequent during this season.  All of which you can spin from.  I like high slack, a couple hours before and after tide change.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »

The chum tend to be further out from shore from what I remember of my tidal bar fishing days

ChromeBar

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »

You can get chum barfishing they seem to like the bait moving a bit better then stationary.. If you see chum rolling close to your setup try slowing reeling your rig in so its dragging on the bottom only works well if its not a snaggy spot.. try duncan or 2 bit bar  hope this helps.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

i have seen people do well on chum at the pilings in steveston, I guess they stack up or get trapped or confused in there or something? Never fished it myself though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »

Back to the top for an update.

We did pretty good yesterday.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=195

Water is surprisingly clearing up very fast. It was already good enough for lure fishing this morning.

Fishing has been good. It seems like everyone has hooked at least a fish or two.

This evening we saw a few coho jacks leaping while we waited for bites in the rain.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »

Due to poor in-season chum salmon return estimate, Fisheries and Oceans Canada will now take further precautionary measures to reduce the daily quota of chum salmon to zero for the Fraser River effective at one hour after sunset Thursday, October 21, 2010. A fishery notice will be available for this very soon. Please spread the words when you head out to the bars this week.

Current in-season estimate for Fraser River chum salmon is 810k. For the Fraser River to reopen for chum salmon retention, the estimate needs to increase to 916k. If the estimate drops below 800k, then further management measures will take place (eg. additional closures in tributaries).

On a more positive note, coho salmon fishing continues to be excellent so take advantage of it while the fishing remains good for a couple more weeks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:20:22 PM by Rodney »

mig1

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »

hi rod, just wondering if you have noticed alot of small hatchery coho jacks this year. we were out yesterday (for abput 5 hours on the tidal fraser and caught and released 16 small jacks. my friends were out today and for 3 hours they had 12 jacks. do you know why there is so many this year?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:50 AM »

No idea. That's usually a good indication of a good adult coho salmon return on the following year since jacks from this year and adults from next year are offsprings from the same brood year (2008). It shows that survival rate is high during their first year in the ocean.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »

There was a mistake in the previous notice. Daily quota for marked coho salmon is 2, not 4.

Here's the corrected notice:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=128677&ID=recreational