Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10 Pound Leader?  (Read 6437 times)

one more cast

10 Pound Leader?
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »

Is 10 pound leader standard for the Vedder these days?

Or is 15 a better choice considering you might hook into a large spring or chum?

I usually just stick to 10 but do get a lot of break offs.

Thanks

Banny

Re: 10 Pound Leader?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »

I would not go with anything over 10 in these low water conditions if you are targeting coho.  I have been fishing 8 lately.

J

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

12lb seems to work well for me.. for  springs, cohos, jacks.  only one chum this year...I fish near rapids usually though.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

I use 8 lb mostly and 10 on occasion.
You can land big fish on 8 no problem, just have to find the breaking point and not go beyond it.
Over time you develop the feeling for it.
I do get the odd breakup on a chum in fast water but I land most of the fish.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

I was fishing 8, however lost two coho due to freak line breaks? so I switched to 12 of a different brand next fish on broke the line again, so i am done with these two brands, now using 10lbs berkley "vanish" has done the job thus far

yoda

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:25:59 PM »

usually use 10lb maxima ultra green. sometimes 8lb in low water that's gin clear. flourocarbon at 12lb hooked to lures works good too.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

i use ten and maybe bump up to a 12 when it gets dirty, fluorocarbon is the way to go in my eyes...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

slurpie

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »

During low clear water conditions, 8 lb ultragreen should be the strong enough for even the large coho in "coho water."  When fishing fast water, I can usually land most of my coho if properly hooked.  If the fish is fouled in fast water, even 12 lb ultragreen sometimes isn't enough.

Justin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

In low clear conditins I use 12 to 15lb flourocarbon for all species.  But if there is some color to the water I use 15lb in fast water and 10lbin slower water (Maxima).

cohojoe

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »

How bizarre is this.   Different companies make  10 test .    So I try the Umpqua guide spool  10 test from  M & Y  fly shop.   Wow.   I can hold salmon in freshwater with it.     I then compared it with  Maxima 10 pound test.    Totally different diameters.     Which is the true  10 pound ?      Only the fish would care because maybe they can see the sun reflecting on the line if it is a certain angle in clear  water.     

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »

there is a huge diameter difference between Flouro and mono in the same poundage. I like using Maxima for rivers becase it can take fishes teeth better and has that stretch that helps hold onto fish as well. I only use flouro in lakes and when im steelheading with my fly/spey rod.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »

--I would like to see mono measured with a consistent label...
--Fly line for years had no labels was just weighted for balance with a rod with each manufacturer recommending certain lines for specific rods.

--After much debate a fairly consistant world standard of measure was developed.
--I've heard several reports that the mono guys agree there should be a standard but none is developed.
--In Europe... there is a move to legislate a standard if the industry does not come up with one.

---For myself I would like to see at least... diameter... some kind of break strength so #10 in one line is #10 in another line... presumably the diameter and stretch could be different, however as long as it has a consistent label we would be able to compare the line in a relative manor.

--I don't really care what the system is.... IGFA has a standard testing machine to determine line strength for line class records.. it may not be the best and certainly isn't the only system however all line is measured and must meet their standard for line class records.

--It annoys me immensely when a line is labeled  10 lb yet consistently  from testing and even the company admitting that it breaks at 20 lbs... so why don't they label it as 20 lb line rather than claiming we have the strongest line mislabeled as 10 lb test on the market.

-
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:50:35 PM by skaha »

bcguy

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »

Was fishing the tidal Fraser from shore lastnight east of Fort Langley, and landed a beautiful 13lb Coho that went nuts the whole time on 8 lb leader material (mono), and landed it no problem, its all in how you handle the fish while you bring it in, if you want to horse it in, you're going to snap line, play the fish properly, and you should get by with 12 lb max in faster water on the Chilliwack, brought a 35 lb spring in on 12 lb on slower water near Lickman with out too much problem. I do prefer 10# on the Vedder though, tried 8# Steelheading last year while going for stealth, and lost a couple due to snapped leaders, so have always gone with 10# minimum ever since on the Vedder.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

WildRod

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

I've usually used a 10lb leader, mono.  Just switched over to 12lb flourocarbon and am trying to see if there is much differnce.  So far it sems that when hooking into a sizeable chum, the flourocarbon is more likely to break - maybe from getting nicked by the fish's teeth.