Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips & Tricks For Fishing?  (Read 13004 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Tips & Tricks For Fishing?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »

Go to "FRED'S" spend $1.00 on a map of the river.
Walk them, the runs on the map, and you will learn.
DON'T be disappointed by some others pseudo success.
But, watch, and even ask, the fishers that move.

This is good advice. Do not fall into the trap of imitating those that you see fence posting the popular spots.

If you still can't figure it out then I would be more than happy to show you the ropes providing you have an attractive daughter to bring along, attractive friends you can bring along or are an attractive lady yourself  :-*
Actions speak louder than words.

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »

I will carry you too and from the fishing hot spots, and spoon feed you when you get hungry so you don't have to put down your rod.
I think Bigfisher fails to see the humor in the posts previous to his. and none of them is really helpful other then Hook's. Fish or cut bait's comment doesn't really add value but Meathead Mike may end up doing exactly that. There are very few "newbies" who take the time to inform themselves. Most of them will just go to the river and hack it out as Dragonspeed suggests. I saw a whole bunch last Friday and talked to many of them, trying to help them out. If you can go out with a seasoned veteran to show you the ropes, that would be ideal. Most people are not that lucky. Others wouldn't even toss you a morsel, let alone spoon feed you. Allot of talk on this site between seasoned fisherman, but how much of this talk gets down to the new guy.

I started a thread re: a fishing symposium http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25224.0 but of the 200 + that viewed it, only 7 people cared to cast a vote. I thought there would be more interest. Back to fishing by myself,  kicking rocks into the river and hoping that I am doing things right
The only easy day was yesterday

n8

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »

too bad lots of guys are tight lipped about their spots... and for good reason on the Vedder! nowadays it's tell one person, and next thing you know, your spot is filled with 30 guys next time you go there! To all newcomers: if someone is gracious enough to share some tips or spots with you, be respectful and show your appreciation by NOT blabbing about it to anyone else!!!

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »

FYI

Jr. Member by Meat Head Mike

Thanks For Tips/Help For Fishing Veddar River!
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks to all the guys that gave me tips on catching the big Chinooks it helped alot since i just started fishing. i am really happy of getting 25 pound Chinook. i went under the bridge in  chilliwack. i think today was a good day for catching these fish and i was using drifting floats named clear drift their really good for veddar. there was some wild cohos and hatchery cohos. going fishing tomorrow.   

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:03:24 PM by Meat Head Mike » 

The only easy day was yesterday

WildRod

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »

too bad lots of guys are tight lipped about their spots... and for good reason on the Vedder! nowadays it's tell one person, and next thing you know, your spot is filled with 30 guys next time you go there! To all newcomers: if someone is gracious enough to share some tips or spots with you, be respectful and show your appreciation by NOT blabbing about it to anyone else!!!

I completely agree.  I fall within the category of enjoying the sport and having very few friends who are diehards.  I like to get out but don't have all the gear or knowlege of where to go.  I hit the flow maybe a dozen times a year and want to know what's happening and don't have all of the resources to figure out the seasonality since I'm out infrequently.  Trying to get a grasp of the tides is tough enough with so few outings.

I don't expect people to disclose their favorite spots, nor will I ask them to, as I completely respect their privacy.  As a newcomer, I look to discover what sepcies are running and in which system.  As long as I know what species are running, I can do some legwork to explore the river and determine my best setup.  This is what I hope will bring me success.  This is why I'm part of FWR and I sincerely thank you all for your input into this forum.  It's been a slow and steady process for me, but I'm gradually increasing mus success on the river.

Cheers! & thanks,
WR.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »

I completely agree.  I fall within the category of enjoying the sport and having very few friends who are diehards.  I like to get out but don't have all the gear or knowlege of where to go.  I hit the flow maybe a dozen times a year and want to know what's happening and don't have all of the resources to figure out the seasonality since I'm out infrequently.  Trying to get a grasp of the tides is tough enough with so few outings.

I don't expect people to disclose their favorite spots, nor will I ask them to, as I completely respect their privacy.  As a newcomer, I look to discover what sepcies are running and in which system.  As long as I know what species are running, I can do some legwork to explore the river and determine my best setup.  This is what I hope will bring me success.  This is why I'm part of FWR and I sincerely thank you all for your input into this forum.  It's been a slow and steady process for me, but I'm gradually increasing mus success on the river.

Cheers! & thanks,
WR.
Well put, I would have said exactly the same thing for myself.   I have been at it for three years now and the process has been much the same though  get out a bit more than twelve outings a year. My approach has been much the same and, of course, this forum has been very helpful. 

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »

Myself am new to river fishing...only 2 years now, year before I was just going to local lakes. I started fishing as early as 6 or 7 with my grandfather every summer up at Pender Harbour mooching for salmon. My last trip up there fishing was in 1996, after that I used to tag along bar fishing with an uncle along the lower fraser for coho in the fall and it has easily been at least 12 years since I've done that. He fished the Stave regularly in the fall, but unfortunately for me he moved to the island almost 8 years ago now. Only recently after discovering the urban lake program and dusting off my old trout rod did I realize how much I missed fishing. Dug out some old but very good reels left to me by my grandfather and started looking at the rivers. I found this website through the ffsbc website and have found it very helpful for some basic information to get me started. I'm hooked and have been trying to learn as much as I can each time I hit the river.
I haven't had the chance to fish with an experienced angler yet but I have had some good days exploring the rivers on my own, fish or no fish I enjoy everyday I'm out there. I only wish I lived closer to the vedder lol, I've had success on the capilano but its not a consistent river due to the dam. Self education is part of the fun of fishing I think, you can learn alot while watching other anglers but you can also learn bad habits if you don't realize they're not something you should do. Having a relationship with your local tackle shop is a good thing to keep in mind as well, most guys who work in these shops are experienced anglers themselves and are willing to pass along advice.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »

I think in this age of computers and internet alot of people dont want to spend the time and effort it takes to be a successful angler.They want to google all the answers on how,what,when and where.It doesnt work that way...if your not willing to pay your dues then dont take up the sport.

Tofino Osprey Lodge

• Tofino Osprey Lodge
    • Tofino Osprey Lodge
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »

I think in this age of computers and internet alot of people dont want to spend the time and effort it takes to be a successful angler.They want to google all the answers on how,what,when and where.It doesnt work that way...if your not willing to pay your dues then dont take up the sport.

This man speaks the truth   ^^^^^^^^

It seems like nobody wants to put their time in anymore in this age of instant gratification. When i started river fishing i got skunked nearly every day for 2 years but one day the lightbulb came on and i was a river guide within 8 years. I have retired after 16 years and wouldn't go near the Veddar even if i was paid.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »

I have retired after 16 years and wouldn't go near the Veddar even if i was paid.

The Vedder has about 20 km's of fishable water. When the salmon come in they move most of that distance to get back to the hatchery.

The tip is find a spot that others are not fishing in, the fish will come.......    ;D

I'd be thrilled if someone paid me to fish as awesome a river as the Chilliwack / Vedder !!!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »

This man speaks the truth   ^^^^^^^^

It seems like nobody wants to put their time in anymore in this age of instant gratification. When i started river fishing i got skunked nearly every day for 2 years but one day the lightbulb came on and i was a river guide within 8 years. I have retired after 16 years and wouldn't go near the Veddar even if i was paid.
I dont blame you one bit.I hate the crowds...I put up with it in the winter months cause I live to Steelhead and can often find  a good spot away from the masses and thats only because i keep my feet moving and cover alot of water in a day...hard work putting the miles in and the time it takes to be successful on the river.Heard alot of complaining that the fishing was slow last winter,for me it was one of my best seasons ever. ;D

n8

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

ChromeKings is totally correct that experience is the best teacher. However, one of the things that I think people can learn from the internet is ETHICS and COURTESY. It really irritates me how ignorant people can be on the river. I would think that common sense would prevail but there doesn't seem to be much of it in some people... I was fishing the Vedder this morning with my dad and this guy (clearly a newcomer) comes up and fishes right next to him, like ARMS LENGTH AWAY. There was lots of room elsewhere, but he had to stand right freakin there. My dad couldn't even cast properly after that. Where is this guy's head??? You can't just tell him to F*** off because the river belongs to everyone, but come on... Why don't some people think about how they would feel if they were in other people's shoes... would he have liked it if he was fishing by himself and some guy came and stood right beside him and crowded his space?? enough said.

another thing I can't freakin stand is people dragging wild coho onto the beach before unhooking it. Keep the fish in the water! even if you are by yourself, IT CAN BE DONE! These things can be learned from reading online forums... I hope LOTS of people read this one.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »

I've been fishing my whole life, except the past few years which I've taken a step away to focus on other stuff going on, but now I'm back into the full swing and it's like dusting off an old hat or some other cliche, it comes back to you like that. I'm more than happy to give pointers to people who want to learn, I won't tell you all the special tricks because they change from run to run, day to day, river to river, and quite frankly I don't know them all. One of the more annoying things is people ask you to take them fishing and they expect to be into as many fish as you are, it's probably not going to work like that, it's going to take some time to understand the water and sort of grasp what you are presenting to the fish and what kind of behavioral patterns they are showing that day.

I didn't start off fishing for salmon, I started off fishing for small coarse fish and trout, it's a gradual process, but like it's been said the internet is giving people the ability to skip many years of trial and error.