Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new to using marabou salmon jigs; what knot should I use?  (Read 9996 times)

hamster

Re: new to using marabou salmon jigs; what knot should I use?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »

Gooey:  thanks for the link to the trilene knot.  Looks easy enough.

A respectable source told me Chartruse jigs for chum, red jigs for chinook and blue jigs for coho.  For what it's worth.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »

your reliable source lied to you  ;)

purple and purple/pink jigs will slay Chum anywhere

to be honest there is no prefect colour or colour combo but it helps to have a decent variety when your on the water. I personally only use two toned ones the odd time i fish them
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »

An old salty showed me that addition to the fisherman's knot (ie the second loop) about 20 years ago while trolling on the alberni canal.  He used almost exclusiviely plugs and thats the knot he used.  Why....simply because that knot could be positioned at various spots on a Tomic plugs U shaped eye in order to create a more aggressive action. Like I said, my preference is to have the jig ride parallel to the bottom, I guarantee you that the Trilene know and the 2 loops around eye of the jig will hold that allignment better than any knot that only has a single loop around the eye. 

I think I started fishing jigs for coho more than 12 years ago.  For salmon, my favorite material is either marabou or flashabou (tinsel).  Pink/purple marabou is by far the most versitile jig/color (chum, coho, steelhead), I like yellow marabou for coho, I tie a green/blue and green/purple flashabou jig that work well on chum and coho.  Pink white has also been a good combo, chartruese/black, the popsicle pattern (purple red orange i think), etc.  While palmered marabou jigs like the ones pictured here are good, I like tieing oversized wooly bugger patterns onto my jigs (ie marabou tail, chenile body with hackle palmered over the body).  When experimenting with jigs, I simply looked at the fly fishermans arsenal and enlarged and copied the patterns onto jigs as previosuly mentioned a wooly bugger and christmas tree seemed to be the two that worked best for me but I am sure there are others out there!

I also cast my own jig head an I haven't noticed a difference in fishability between bare lead heads and colored ones or lead and the plated shiny beads some jigs use.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

When experimenting with jigs, I simply looked at the fly fishermans arsenal and enlarged and copied the patterns onto jigs as previosuly mentioned a wooly bugger and christmas tree seemed to be the two that worked best for me but I am sure there are others out there!

I have had the same idea ... Here is a little sampling of jigs created from known coho fly patterns. Christmas trees, coho blues, rolled muddlers, olive wooly buggers, etc..

WIMF